Best Christmas presents you got.....

ASH

6 minutes ago, Presguy said:

When I was a little kid I went on a weekend trip with my dad. He bought me one of those springboard crystal radio kits for me to build in the car. I remember once we got to the hotel using the drain pipe under the sink for the ground wire.

Yes.  The optimum is a good antenna and a good ground, but the next best is a good ground with a modicum of antenna.

The kits with the cat whisker and the Galena mounted in lead, let you try all different spots on the Galena finding better and worse spots.  It keeps kids busy for hours.

If you can't find the Galena and cat whisker, the next option is a good old fashioned point contact diode, like the original 1N34, not the version you can see through, they have too much junction capacitance, it kills the sensitivity.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Presguy said:

Great.. now you've got me browsing eBay for old Archer/Radio Shack and Heath/Zenith kits.

It's funny - I never went too far down the curve with getting into electronic engineering curve - not beyond the basics of circuits, a few components, and soldering. I do remember those kits having a direct influence on me getting my first job in high school, though - at a Radio Shack. I spent so much time in the local store I knew the manager, and he "helped" me through applying.

Doing something new is great fun and learning is the cream on the top.

It's just as important to learn what you don't like to do as much as what you do like to do. 

When you can focus on a hobby or a skill, it is a great diversion from the everyday things that occupy your time.

Everybody benefits from "zoning out" for a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It took me many years before I realized that when my father had me help him with mundane chores and home repairs, automobile maintenance as well as playing around with radios and electric motors that he always had disssected on his workbench that he was teaching me.

Thank you, Dad.

Because of you, I know stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will never forget I asked for that go cart from santa. Got up running around didn't see it. My stomach dropped. Then my dad said to go out to carport and get some wood for the fireplace.         I walked in and I will never forget that feeling lol. He said santa said it was to damn heavy to turn sideways to get in house . I dunno how much gas I used but I rode it til it got dark ..bbest friend got one also man we rode everywhere   ofcourse no helmets. 

Edited by ASH
  • Like 4

I always got hand me downs. Back then Levi jeans were like 50 bucks. I remember using iron on patches on the knees. We are still frugal bout clothes. They just built an Ollie's here and Levi Wrangler jeans are like 12 bucks brand new

• Like 2

Great.. now you've got me browsing eBay for old Archer/Radio Shack and Heath/Zenith kits.
It's funny - I never went too far down the curve with getting into electronic engineering curve - not beyond the basics of circuits, a few components, and soldering. I do remember those kits having a direct influence on me getting my first job in high school, though - at a Radio Shack. I spent so much time in the local store I knew the manager, and he "helped" me through applying.

I miss the Radio Shack brick and mortar stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

It took me many years before I realized that when my father had me help him with mundane chores and home repairs, automobile maintenance as well as playing around with radios and electric motors that he always had disssected on his workbench that he was teaching me.
Thank you, Dad.
Because of you, I know stuff.

I tried to do this with my children.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I tried to do this with my children.

They may not know it now or ever understand what you did for them, but they know stuff and can do stuff because you did.

A father's job.

Cheers, amigo.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ASH said:

I always got hand me downs. Back then Levi jeans were like 50 bucks. I remember using iron on patches on the knees. We are still frugal bout clothes. They just built an Ollie's here and Levi Wrangler jeans are like 12 bucks brand new

You couldn't get me to wear Levis if you paid me $50 a pair.

12 hours ago, Scwine said:

Crossman 760 pump air rifle

I did a dumb thing with my 760. I fired an imperfect BB through it and it jammed in the barrel. After an hour or so with a coat hanger I got it out, and then, being a dumbass, I figured it'd go through OK the second time. Jammed so tight I never got it out. Cost of tuition.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

From 7th grade until Christmas of my senior year of high school, I asked for just one thing for Christmas - 10 more horseback riding lessons.  And that is exactly what my parents gave me.  I had this all figured out - during the 10 weeks that were paid for, I would save all the money I earned babysitting, etc., and that would pay for the next 9 weeks, and in those weeks, I would save enough for the next 7, 6, 5, 4... I would run out of money the second week of December, which was coincidentally my birthday, when I would ask for one more riding lesson, which I would get, and then there would be Christmas break from lessons, and then it would start all over again.  

My mother HATED this because she never got to shop for anything fun for me.  My dad was not all that thrilled either, seeing as how horses had killed his grandfather.  But they did it, because it was the ONE THING that I really, really wanted.  Really, for those 6 years, I lived to ride.  It didn't matter how awful the rest of the week was as long as I got my hour jumping horses over fences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

back when my sister was nice  and a young girl , she collected  all those johnny west country stuff , i dunno how popular it was, but there was like a jane, geronimo , custer  and horses and wagons and whole bunch of other stuff ,  she had the whole collection , i think when she turned into a no good piece of ****  she prolly pawned them for drugs .  

my gandkid Piper has like a whole paw patrol collection lol,   and i started her coin collecting  . 

• Sad 1