high school reunions , who goes

ASH

I never went to any of mine. For the 30th reunion I thought about rolling up on my Italian motorcycle with the young girlfriend  but then I realized that I simply didn’t cared enough to try to impress any of those mofos. 

besides I don’t want to see my high school sweetheart old and fat like me. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Historian said:

Pretty much my retirement plan as well. Just going to be there one day and not the next.

That's what I did. I got so tired of putting up with the "executive" that ran the place as a cult of personality, that I took my days off to decide if I wanted to stay or go. I wrote down the pros and cons and when I saw the only reasons to stay where money and health insurance vs. two pages of grievances, I went to HR on my next work day and resigned immediately. 

One female employee came down to hug me and say good bye. No one since has ever called. 

They were never friends, just people I worked with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I go despite not running around with kids in my grade but rather a year ahead. Always dread it a little but always have a good time and am glad I went. I don't have any resentment or bad memories about HS. The most recent one, 30th, I got to visit with a woman I hadn't seen in 30 years and it was great. My class was 220 kids and we're lucky to have 50 come. 

• Like 2

I became a dad when I was 16 and quit High School when I was 17 so I could work fulltime to support my kid.  I'm 30 now and couldn't care less about High School reunions.  I wouldn't mind seeing my shop teacher again if he's still alive because him and I used to fish and rabbit hunt together. 

• Like 3

yeah i dont have any ill will  as it was long long ago ,  man time flies ,  the main thing that baffles me is the people  that picked on , poor people  , etc   and i saw some of these kids treated like **** , and they go to reunions  like all buddy buddy , thats the part of the brain im missing i reckon . i dont get it but oh well.  i mean the friends i grew up with in diapers  are my brothers and sisters  and we all remain close today   we were kinda like the kids in the movie IT ,  we just had our group, and we still after 50 years live within 15 miles of each other , we have lost 4  from wrecks  .   damn time flies .  i mean like everyone picking a college or going into military or just a job , i knew what i was gonna do from the age of 8 lol .  32 years man ,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update:   I rarely do much with my co-workers but there's a yearly bonfire at one man's house. I go out of respect to him and his family.  He's a descent and kind man. A decent God fearing family man who is not rich but wealthy beyond means in his faith and family.

Turned out the youth pastor from his church was there.  We went to high school together, shared the same journalism (student newspaper) class in senior high...and I...dated his on and off again girlfriend (who i had a massive crush on for four years).

I have not seen...one person in 30 years...that i went to high school with...until tonight.

We had a nice civil conversation but i think we both did the math on "Jennifer."  We both know a few things.  I found myself with some melodramatic feelings about Jennifer.  Anyway.  She remains a fond, but somewhat, troubling memory in some ways.

The experience has reminded me:  I do not care to dwell on my past and prefer to not experience it in memory.  In fact, i wish to be forgotten.

I'm sure if he has his yearbook, like i do, he will see we are in the same picture together.

I did think it was interesting several people signed my yearbook with Dear (first name) the Republican.  And at least two suggest should they need help...they would call for my assistance at the a national intel service.  The journalism teacher suggested i might actually major in journalism in college.

In fact:  I did.

Odd...memories.

I need whiskey.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, ASH said:

if i may ask what happened to the girl ?

No idea.   I did not ask about her.  I left it as is. 

I wish her all the best.   In looking at my yearbook i was amazed at how really pretty she was.

Clearly he did not marry her.  I would have.

But that is the past.  I married someone else many years later.

I get the feeling that he knows where she is.  But i am not on social media other than this forum.   I don't want people from my past filling up my facebook page.  I have nothing to tweet.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

The thing about past bullies, nerds, preppies, poor people... most (not all) of the people grow up and let it all go. I'm not who I was 30 years ago. Most of them aren't either. But I also don't remember anyone being all that cruel to each other. Maybe region, era, class size, individual experiences, etc.. makes the perception different for everyone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TX OMFS said:
13 hours ago, tadbart said:
you right, i'm wrong. typo.  2012 was number 20. good catch!
you surgeons and your attention to detail. :cowboy2:

I figured but this is the internet so we have to criticize everything.

All in good fun, Señor!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 6:39 AM, Clancy said:

I didn't go to my senior prom, have not gone to any reunions, and don't intend to. I hated high school, and have no desire to relive or reminisce about a single moment, especially with a group of people that I did not like. The 3 guys I graduated with that I were tight with felt the same, and they have all since passed away.

Same here. School was the worst 12 years of my life.

• Like 1

I went to my 10th. It was OK but too much like HS so I didn't go to any others. We have another coming in 2024. If we're still a republic by then I may go, just to see who's still vertical. I went to HS in a little southern mill town and everyone knew everyone. I still go back every week or two to visit my mom and sister, so I see a good many of my classmates. They're all good folks, mostly. Certainly as good a folk as I am. :supergrin: