Anyone Know How Many Firearms Are Out There?

DrB

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Months ago the guess was 350,000,000, because the liberals were upset that there was a gun for each and every individual in the country.

Personally, I think they were wrong, and there is at least half again that many!

I was thinking about twice that amount as bought through the years since way back when.  I'd like to see much more but sadly for some reason every time I try to move some of mine across the river to my cabin, in my canoe , I have an accident and they all sink in the rapids. 

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hard numbers are very difficult to find, and that doesn't even begin to take into consideration the unregistered firearms bought before the GCA, back when you could order guns through the mail, and many older guns didn't even have serial numbers.

I came across some "researched guesstimate" numbers from different sources that exceeded 400 million, and that was almost 3 years ago before the last couple of buying sprees. If I remember right, some numbers just for CA in the last big panic sales exceeded 350,000, and back then the best estimates for lawfully firearms in CA exceeded 8 million. The unregistered, pre-GCA and illegally acquired guns are anybody's guess.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DrB said:

Your wrong. Overestimated it.  2 is the answer.

Now is 1..  Lost another in the river, my canoe took on water and I had to bail, another one in the drink.

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fastbolt said:

Hard numbers are very difficult to find, and that doesn't even begin to take into consideration the unregistered firearms bought before the GCA, back when you could order guns through the mail, and many older guns didn't even have serial numbers.

I came across some "researched guesstimate" numbers from different sources that exceeded 400 million, and that was almost 3 years ago before the last couple of buying sprees. If I remember right, some numbers just for CA in the last big panic sales exceeded 350,000, and back then the best estimates for lawfully firearms in CA exceeded 8 million. The unregistered, pre-GCA and illegally acquired guns are anybody's guess.

The number of background checks does not equal the net increase in citizen ownership of guns. At least some guns going through the system are trade-ins, out of pawn, consignment sales through dealers etc which do not represent a net increase in ownership. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DrB said:

Now is 1..  Lost another in the river, my canoe took on water and I had to bail, another one in the drink.

Dave..

Two wayward mooses from Alaska came along and swiped all but two of mine last month.

I chased them, yelling, Stop mooses! but they got into a canoe and paddled away.

Then, the canoe capsized.

Mooses made it to shore.

Guns all sank.

:cry:

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Oh, noes!

I'm old, so my two remaining firearms had blued steel and beautiful claro walnut furniture.

Well, these danged woodchucks came along, saw the walnut and goldarnit, them danged woodchucks chucked my last two guns right into the lake.

Danged woodchucks!

:shakefist:

10 hours ago, tous said:

Two wayward mooses from Alaska came along and swiped all but two of mine last month.

I chased them, yelling, Stop mooses! but they got into a canoe and paddled away.

Mooses made it to shore.

Guns all sank.

You seem to have the same problem as I do with guns and canoes.  Mine always seem to capsize also when I have some guns in them.  Otherwise the canoes paddle just fine.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Haha 1

Mine were sunk in a boating accident due to a giant whirlpool created by St. Elmo's fire.

So sad. But I was very lucky to swim ashore safely.

Now I only visit gun forums for the nostalgia.

Edited by Ricordo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ricordo said:

Mine were sunk in a boating accident due to a giant whirlpool created by St. Elmo's fire.

So sad. But I was very lucky to swim ashore safely.

Now I only visit gun forums for the nostalgia.

You guys amuse me.  Therefor i read the forums.

In a previous posting i mentioned the tragic loss of my firearms while hunting whales.  My zodiac boat flipped over due to harpoon recoil.  The loss was total.

Missed the whale, too.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

You guys amuse me.  There for i read the forums.

In a previous posting i mentioned the tragic loss of my firearms while hunting whales.  My zodiac boat flipped over due to harpoon recoil.  The loss was total.

Missed the whale, too.

I actually have one that was NOT lost hunting whales. A father and son Natives used it to hunt Beluga whales. It's a Winchester 1886 in .45-70.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, railfancwb said:

The number of background checks does not equal the net increase in citizen ownership of guns. At least some guns going through the system are trade-ins, out of pawn, consignment sales through dealers etc which do not represent a net increase in ownership. 

The sources I was looking through weren't those generated from background checks. Also, CA doesn't have many pawn shops who can handle firearms anymore. When I was talking with DOJ (before I retired, working on something else), I learned that there were less than 15 remaining pawn shops in the state licensed to handle firearms.

26 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I actually have one that was NOT lost hunting whales. A father and son Natives used it to hunt Beluga whales. It's a Winchester 1886 in .45-70.

Once again:  That round can take anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tous said:

Mooses made it to shore.

Guns all sank.

At least the Mooses were able to go home at night!

• Haha 1