Self defense of a 17 year old

kerbie18

So , I have my 17 year old daughter, she is my oldest girl. She started experiencing some creeps, some major creeps outside of work as a sandwich artist (a subway employee). Some 40 year old men propositioning a 17 year old for sex, and also patiently waiting for her at her car. She is pro-gun, shooting since she was little, but still just 17.

Can't wait to hear what you would do. I have my own ideas, and I have done some....

Don't women just need rape whistles and to piss on themselves in this type of situation?

I don't know what all the different weapons laws are there, but pepper spray is usually a decent start, some type of alarm on her keyring, and maybe one of these things 

Black Crazy cat defense keychainSpartan Self Defense KeychainRed Tapered Aluminum kubotanGold finger grip kubotanMetal Wild Kat Self Defense Keychain

A really bright flashlight if she works anytime that it's dark outside, I like some of the Olight ones with turbo mode, decent lights for a decent price, and very bright.  Depending on model some flashlights can also serve as impromptu defense weapons as well.

Best thing she can get though is self defense training, some form of martial arts.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago, USCCA announced that they had taken a course in self defense and recommended it. So I looked into it.  Got it on line and in DVD.  Two daughters, girl friend and her two daughters, some ladies at church.  I have picked up several advanced DVD’s.  I picked it because it doesn’t take years or even months to master, since my girlfriend was flying to Vegas, off strip, and late at night.  Still gives her confidence.  

I don’t know if it is okay with Eric to post the link, so I will PM you with it.  

Hawk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Great ideas. Also, if your daughter has a smartphone perhaps she could start recording as she walks out to her car and show the video to the police.

Good idea, if they have any brains at all they will back off if they know their picture is being taken.  Pictures of them and their license plates should send a message.  Even just a cheap little camera if she doesn't have a smartphone.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Park in a well lite area and have another employee walk her to her car for starts.

She's asked coworkers, and had a ******* coworker tell her to handle it herself.

Oh, and I AM the local police. Soooo, random police cars are just showing up all over the place looking for a sammich. I'm just exploring my other options, can't have too many.

Thanks guys!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Find a good spot near her car/business, video harassment, share video on social media, and with their wife and/or employer. Problem most likely solved.

Another option would be to beat one of them to a bloody pulp. Since I have always had the ability to infuriate others to the point of them losing control (it’s a gift) I might do that. Then if in the course of defending myself their testicles get stomped on and crushed...too bad so sad.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Thanks 1

"Hello, I'm Ofc. K!  I'm selling raffle tickets.  $5.  Just write your name / address/ phone number here.  What?  You don't have any money?  Heck,  I'm feeling generous today and I'll just give ya'll one!  Just write your name / address / phone number here.  Oh, you really don't accept charity?  That's OK.  I'll be around for months, if you should change your mind. K. Thx. Bye."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Okay, so far I've ordered enough fox labs super pepper spray for a small country. I also bought her an actual taser of her own. I just personally love me some taser, as it has actually saved me more than once.

A fellow poster here provided some excellent unarmed defence tactics by PM. Unharmed defense is important too, for sure.

Nobody fucks with the daughter of a cop, or so I truly hope.

Edited by kerbie18
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

Okay, so far I've ordered enough fox labs super pepper spray for a small country. I also bought her an actual taser of her own. I just personally love me some taser, as it has actually saved me more than once.

A fellow poster here provided some excellent unarmed defence tactics by PM. Unharmed defense is important too, for sure.

Nobody fucks with the daughter of a cop, or so I truly hope.

I don't know that I believe that; esp. if you have made a few enemies here or there. A few well placed arm bars or joint locks should end any confrontation immediately.

5 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

I don't know that I believe that; esp. if you have made a few enemies here or there. A few well placed arm bars or joint locks should end any confrontation immediately.

I sure do hope that it does. We protect our family... 

• Like 1

I dont know if any of you recall a couple of years back in Austin when some nut job was grabbing joggers. Killed at least one young girl. When he finally got caught, they found that he had set up camp in an abandoned building that my daughter had to walk by everyday on her way to work.

I took her handgun shopping that day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My youngest daughter was threatened by her ex (an ex felon), who then went on to threaten me, my wife, and my family.  I immediately bought and paid for handguns for all my girls, my son bought his own, and the training to go with them. 

I also paid for CCW's for all.  In court he looked at me while testifying about how dangerous some of his friends were.  I laughed out loud at him.  

My daughter's lawyer asked my why I wasn't afraid of him and I told him 'cause I carry a gun and am reasonably good with it.  Later my daughter said that he was afraid of guns.  Many years have gone by and he is still avoids me and my family.  

Intimidation only works if YOU believe it.  Meet force with force.

I have posted that my G'daughter is in college and turns 21 this year.  One of her presents is a small semi-auto and all the supporting accessories, including a locking safe.  I do believe that women have the right to not be afraid.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

You need to talk to her about how to tell these guys no. 

Creepy/lonely/desperate guys tend to take any indirect or polite refusal as a maybe. 

She needs to tell them NO directly the very first time. “I Only date people date people my own age. You and I are not a possibility”. And if that doesn’t work, “does my daddy or my boss need to come tell you no also?”.  I think that would take the wind out of the sails of all but the creepiest Uncle Rico types.

Not rude, but not apologetic or misleadingly a shy non-answer. That’s tough for a young girl.  

Keychain pepper spray and a small AA flashlight with a crenulated strike bezel would be my choice.  Practically a kubaton while having the functionality of a flashlight.  Could always be clipped in her back pocket.

My sister carries a flashlight in her hand when walking to the car at night. A quick jab to the face, throat, eyes would be a good blow to allow escape.

If you think she’s got the guts, a pocketknife. But a lot of girls wouldn’t use it even if they needed it. Don’t give her one if she doesn’t have the mindset for it. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

She needs to learn how to shut them down verbally, first.  Not saying anything, or continuing to be polite, is too often seen/heard as "yes, I'm ok with this."   Collim1 above had some good things to say in the above post.

If you give her pepper spray, make sure you test it first - my husband got some for his sister and when they tried it out to be sure it worked... it just dribbled down his hand.  (A good thing they gave it a test run!)

Get her some martial arts training.  Real training that will teach her that she can survive being punched, and that she can fight from the ground if she has to.  I did way too many years of taekwondo without taking fists to the face and without doing any groundwork.  Don't do that.  Jiujitsu, kickboxing, krav maga are better choices, IMHO.

Get her trained with a pistol.  Really trained, not this 2 hours on an indoor range with a paper target bs.  Then see that she keeps up with it - shooting is a diminishing skill - if you don't practice, you lose it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

She needs to learn how to shut them down verbally, first.  Not saying anything, or continuing to be polite, is too often seen/heard as "yes, I'm ok with this."   Collim1 above had some good things to say in the above post.
If you give her pepper spray, make sure you test it first - my husband got some for his sister and when they tried it out to be sure it worked... it just dribbled down his hand.  (A good thing they gave it a test run!)
Get her some martial arts training.  Real training that will teach her that she can survive being punched, and that she can fight from the ground if she has to.  I did way too many years of taekwondo without taking fists to the face and without doing any groundwork.  Don't do that.  Jiujitsu, kickboxing, krav maga are better choices, IMHO.
Get her trained with a pistol.  Really trained, not this 2 hours on an indoor range with a paper target bs.  Then see that she keeps up with it - shooting is a diminishing skill - if you don't practice, you lose it.

Supervised training with a handgun is fine, but until she is 21 and obtains a Concealed Weapon Permit, carrying is not an advisable option. She doesn’t need a misdemeanor charge making it impossible to obtain a permit later. Even a justifiable shooting could questioned in court by an unscrupulous attorney representing the offender or his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C_Hallbert said:

Supervised training with a handgun is fine, but until she is 21 and obtains a Concealed Weapon Permit, carrying is not an advisable option. She doesn’t need a misdemeanor charge making it impossible to obtain a permit later. Even a justifiable shooting could questioned in court by an unscrupulous attorney representing the offender or his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.  I'm just a firm believer in starting them on the training as soon as possible, so as soon as they are eligible to carry, they can.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1