Old Pictures

Eric

On 9/10/2020 at 2:15 AM, Huaco Kid said:

The bike finally died, when most of the swing-arm broke off (probably during Tim's epic episode),  and all the local bike-shops declared it an unidentifiable metal,  and no one could weld it.  The one place tried,  and only melted the rest of it away.

Was it a Ross? tom.

See the source image

• Like 3

That photograph was likely taken in Virginia Beach, VA or at least the Tide Water/Norfolk region.  Sometime about 1970 is my guess from a couple of searches.

That was the first newspaper I worked at.  I delivered the paper on my bike.

119120342_2979719732134331_5221851853050951821_o.jpg

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Historian said:

That photograph was likely taken in Virginia Beach, VA or at least the Tide Water/Norfolk region.  Sometime about 1970 is my guess from a couple of searches.

That was the first newspaper I worked at.  I delivered the paper on my bike.

119120342_2979719732134331_5221851853050951821_o.jpg

That's so cool!  That's why I like this thread.  Once in awhile ya come across some one like you who has a connection with a picture.  That's neat.:D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

That's so cool!  That's why I like this thread.  Once in awhile ya come across some one like you who has a connection with a picture.  That's neat.:D

Yeah, i got a kick out of seeing the old Pilot there.  She was a fine newspaper in it's day.  Covered a lot of military stories because of the Navy/Marines/Army/Air Force connections to the community.   It was a patriotic place back in the day.

My bet was the Pilot was owned by the New York Times (NYT) chain of newspapers back when this was taken.  

Many years later i worked for my local regional mullet wrapper when it was owned by the NYT series of papers.   It was my first job out of journalism school. It was a part-time job working the sports desk as a copy editor.  What was about it was we were owned by The Times...so my pack check came from the New York Times offices in Norfolk, VA where the Pilot is published.   

Anyway.  Four about four years I was an New York Times journalist attached to the local mullet wrapper.   Until they sold to Chicago Tribune Services...who sold it again after that to a loser group that is killing what was once a decent regional newspaper.

Anyway.  I never worked for The Old Gray Lady (The New York Times) but one of their smaller newspapers...but since my checks said NYT on them...i put that on my resume....and it's still there.  

Historian:  New York Times copy editor assigned to local mullet wrapper....

I worked for them part-time for 10 years.  I had a great time with it.

• Thanks 1