Old Pictures

Eric

50 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Trading stamps seem to have gone away with two digit gasoline prices. 

Trading stamps went away along with the competition from the independents, by big brands closing them down. 

Prices tended towards the same, so the stations had no interest in fighting for customers, they needed the gas.  Since the prices were the same there was little advantage of one station over the other. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Trading stamps went away along with the competition from the independents, by big brands closing them down. 

Prices tended towards the same, so the stations had no interest in fighting for customers, they needed the gas.  Since the prices were the same there was little advantage of one station over the other. 

Today most gasoline seems to be sold by convenience markets, whose real profits are from merchandise not gasoline.

If your gasoline prices are too high, gasoline customers go elsewhere and you sell little merchandise. 

If your gasoline prices are too low, you sell out and post “Sold Out” signs so your gasoline customers go elsewhere and you sell little merchandise. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pipedreams said:

427e93f43a5dd0a5.jpg?1599578067

My family car for a few years.

It had a center drive shaft bearing anchored to the floor boards. 

Due to repeated "quick starts" at red lights during commutes, I broke the center bearing mount on mine and had to drive 20 miles home in rush hour traffic with a minimum of torque applied to the rear wheels, to stop the shaft from whipping the bottom of the body.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2