Old Pictures

Eric

33 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

With a mower like that, who needs a gym membership?

Laugh.   My wife was asking me when i was going to retire the old push mower.  We have a 1/3rd acre lot.

i told her it was pretty intense exercise.   Especially when it feels like 104 outside.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

It was a B-25. B-52 would have been a bit too much, I bet. Still, it says a lot for the designers that the building survived the impact. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

That building was hit with a B-25.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_Empire_State_Building_B-25_crash

This part i did not know.

"Elevator operator Betty Lou Oliver was thrown from her elevator car on the 80th floor and suffered severe burns. First aid workers placed her on another elevator car to transport her to the ground floor, but the cables supporting that car had been damaged in the incident, and the car fell 75 stories, ending up in the basement.[9] Oliver survived the fall but had a broken pelvis, back and neck when rescuers found her amongst the rubble.[10] This remains the world record for the longest survived elevator fall."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Sometime around 1978, I heard on late night radio an interview with a guy who wrote a book about this incident.

Heroism of the firemen pulling hoses up many stories of stairs...   And that the Empire State building has an internal firefighting system with several 5,000 gallon (IIRC) water tanks on different levels.

I don't remember much more than that...  it was about 3am and I was coming home from work....

• Haha 1