Defunct brands or products that had your loyalty.

Batesmotel

What brands or products do you miss? They could be totally gone or one of the many cases where a brand was sold or changed and ruined. The name may technically still exist but has little or no relation to the former products. 

Haselblad V series cameras.

Rodenstock and Schneider lenses.

Marantz stereos.

Technics turntables.

JBL speakers

Craftsman tools

Leica cameras

Weaver scopes

While none are defunct, per se, here are a few that come to mind for me...

Yeti- to the point of getting rid of my coolers/koozies (no, I didn’t shoot them)- back to being a dedicated Igloo guy.

Remington- before the Cerberus/Freedom Group acquisition when they mfg’d quality firearms.

And to be honest, while I still like Glocks and think they are manufacturing quality stuff and kinda consider myself a “fanboy,” I miss the pre- BTF, erratic finishes, etc (like the pre-2013 Glocks)  

Edited by Valmet

Arcturus, RCA, Telefunken, Genelex, Raytheon, Amperex and Tung-Sol vacuum tubes.

Burroughs and National nixie tubes.

UTC transformers and magnetics.

Colt 'Snake' revolvers - regret not buying some when they were in production.

HK P7M8 - see above.

Realistic stereo gear

Craftsman Tools (back in the day when they made good ones)

Pontiac cars.

Hammerlund and Hallicrafters radios.

The original, hard-drive based iPod.

Zenith, Philco and RCA.

Ipana toothpaste.

The McDLT.

-Pat

Thompson Center black powder guns

Navy Arms

Webley & Scott handguns - not the pellet guns. I consider the Mk 6 .455 the finest military revolver ever designed.

Savage model 99 rifles

Winchester model 12 pump shotgun

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Citra47 said:

Thompson Center black powder guns

Navy Arms

Webley & Scott handguns - not the pellet guns. I consider the Mk 6 .455 the finest military revolver ever designed.

Savage model 99 rifles

Winchester model 12 pump shotgun

Got to look this up Thompsen Center is dead?!?!?!?!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, F14Scott said:

Girl Scout cookies, half because the boxes are now tiny, and half because the organization seems to have gone political feminist.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bah, they roll here well. Yep, California. Between the peanut btuuter ones and thin mints our freezer I full for a couple months. My son now 13 can drain a box in a hour.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F14Scott said:

Girl Scout cookies, half because the boxes are now tiny, and half because the organization seems to have gone political feminist.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So, It's not just me. I remember back when eating a full box of Samoas made you sick, now the worst I get is an upset stomach.:D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

What brands or products do you miss? They could be totally gone or one of the many cases where a brand was sold or changed and ruined. The name may technically still exist but has little or no relation to the former products. 

Haselblad V series cameras.

Rodenstock and Schneider lenses.

Marantz stereos.

Technics turntables.

JBL speakers

Craftsman tools

Leica cameras

Weaver scopes

What happened with Marantz?

2 hours ago, Moeman said:

Got to look this up Thompsen Center is dead?!?!?!?!

Sorry, I should have said traditional black powder rifles - they made some great traditional BP rifles of their design and a single shot pistol.  Thompson Center was bought up by Marlin which was gobbled up by Remington which has, well, um.............been gobbled itself. Traditional BP guns are not as popular as they were a few years back before all the rage about inline rifles took over the market for BP hunting.

• Thanks 1

Smith and Wesson revolvers

Marlin rifles

Remington rifles and shotguns

HK P7

Buick Grand National

There are still some of the older guns around but try finding an 1894 JM Marlin in 41 magnum for less than $1500 bucks. But ther's some things they used to make that are gone forever. Like Hunt's Pizza flavored Ketchup. Back in the late sixties I use to carry a bottle of it in my car to put on French fries that I got at a drive-thru hamburger joint.

Edited by Borg warner

2 hours ago, Citra47 said:

Sorry, I should have said traditional black powder rifles - they made some great traditional BP rifles of their design and a single shot pistol.  Thompson Center was bought up by Marlin which was gobbled up by Remington which has, well, um.............been gobbled itself. Traditional BP guns are not as popular as they were a few years back before all the rage about inline rifles took over the market for BP hunting.

Smith and Wesson owns them now.

10 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Audiophile or guitar player?

Techie-geek who's into glowing glass bottles, old test gear, building hifi & guitar amps, and playing with old radios.

tubes 4 hifi / VTA Dynaco ST-70 amplifier clone:

IMG_8037-X2.jpg

Transcendent Audio T-16 OTL amplifier:

IMG_3507-X2.jpg

Tektronix 575 Mod C Transistor Curve Tracer:

IMG_1072-X2.jpg

Tektronix 545 Oscilloscope; calibrated at the Tektronix factory on November 8, 1955:

Tek%20545%20Low%20Voltage%20PS%20tubes%2

HP 522B Electronic Counter:

Atwater-Kent Model 55 TRF AM radio - chassis weight 39 lbs, WITHOUT speaker or cabinet:

IMG_7671-X2.jpg

I do occasionally pick up a guitar, but calling what I do 'playing' it would require more imagination than I possess, I'm afraid...

-Pat

Edited by Cubdriver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

Techie-geek who's into glowing glass bottles, old test gear, building hifi & guitar amps, and playing with old radios.

I do occasionally pick up a guitar, but calling what I do 'playing' it would require more imagination than I possess, I'm afraid...

-Pat

For me it's mostly tube guitar amps.  Had 60 at one time.  My sound system is an ancient McIntosh Quadraphonic that I re-purposed into a surround unit.  I built a mosfet solid state subwoofer to keep things tight.  Other than that it's all valves.  

• Like 1

we had a rax  here long ago   , they also had damn good milk shakes .    

did anyone have a burger joint called LIL  LOYS  ??  they made like small burgers like white castle .  

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

For me it's mostly tube guitar amps.  Had 60 at one time.  My sound system is an ancient McIntosh Quadraphonic that I re-purposed into a surround unit.  I built a mosfet solid state subwoofer to keep things tight.  Other than that it's all valves.  

60?!?  Holy crap!!!  (I can't throw stones, though - I am probably up to north of 25 oscilloscopes, and around the same point for electronic counters of various types.)

McIntosh stuff is sweet - I bet that sounds nice!  A valve-type surround system is on my list of things to build at some point -thinking perhaps P-P 807s for the front channels and P-P 6V6s for the rears.  I much prefer valves to sand (except in the heat of summer - that's about the only time they are less desirable).

-Pat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gun Shark said:

What happened with Marantz?

The Marantz brand was sold to Phillips in 1980. Phillips sold it to the Japan Marantz Co. in 2001. It's not the same company.

The great audiophile gear that built the company effectively ended by 82. Even the high end stuff of late is a far cry from the warm sound of the vintage gear built in the 60s to the 80s. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

tubes 4 hifi / VTA Dynaco ST-70 amplifier clone:

IMG_8037-X2.jpg

Transcendent Audio T-16 OTL amplifier:

IMG_3507-X2.jpg

Tektronix 575 Mod C Transistor Curve Tracer:

IMG_1072-X2.jpg

Tektronix 545 Oscilloscope; calibrated at the Tektronix factory on November 8, 1955:

Tek%20545%20Low%20Voltage%20PS%20tubes%2

HP 522B Electronic Counter:

Atwater-Kent Model 55 TRF AM radio - chassis weight 39 lbs, WITHOUT speaker or cabinet:

IMG_7671-X2.jpg

-Pat

I love the smell the glass valves make when warm! When I was in radio repair school in the USAF all the aircraft radios had tubes in them.

• Like 1