Random Posting

Eric

OK, I go into the kitchen to get a second cup, but I had left the door to the deck open so Katie could go out and prowl, and a WoES (Wasp of Enormous Size) had entered and was now flying around in search of the exit. Having grown up in the South, this was not my first experience with WoESes, so I grabbed the first available aerosol unit, which turned out to be something Mrs. G had bought called Countertop Cleaner. Nonetheless, I sprayed Buzzy liberally as he flew by, to no effect. I could tell from his sound that he'd become an AWoES (Angry Wasp of Enormous Size). But at least he was clean.

<zzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!>

Mrs. G heard me from the den and asked "What are you spraying that thing with?"

<zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!>

"Um, Countertop Cleaner?"

We continued for a minute, Buzzy buzzing and occasionally diving at me, until Mrs. G walks in with a can of "Flying Insect Killer", and gives Buzzy a healthy spritz as he flies past.

Buzzy, now protected by a heavy coating of Countertop Cleaner, is not affected by the bug spray. I sidle over to the deck door and open it all the way. Buzzy makes another couple of circuits around the kitchen to show he's not afraid of me, then finds the door, and leaves.

I don't like wasps. I also don't like that look wimmen get when they realize they may have married an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

bz-5d0cd1cbaf5bc.jpeg

The heat index today is pushing 111, so I have my big guy inside.  He is excited at first, beating crap out of me with his club like tail.  Then he is just thrilled to be loved on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Anybody calculate that boulder's energy was when it hit that tree?

To give you and idea, trees usually destroy vehicles rather than the other way round.  That boulder shattered some substantial trees.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Anybody calculate that boulder's energy was when it hit that tree?

Insufficient data.

We need to know mass, velocity and vector.

However, we can evaluate the tree post mortem and deduce how much energy was involved, but not as accurate.

Yes, I has a slide rule.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, tous said:

Insufficient data.

However, we can evaluate the tree post mortem and deduce how much energy was involved, but not as accurate.

Yes, I has a slide rule.

What can we estimate photogrammetrically?

- boulder size and velocity

- tree diameter and pre-shatter deflection

OK, I've done the lion's share of the study design. I'll leave the number crunching to the slide-rule guys. Too bad I passed on that interocitor at the estate sale...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, tous said:

Insufficient data.

Yes, I has a slide rule.

We also do quick approximations:  Boulder Mass = Wow!       Boulder velocity = yep    Car = pissant   :  Result as expected

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic