Random Posting

Eric

Gettysburg 50th Anniversary (1913)

In this powerful picture, veteran soldiers of the Union and Confederate armies in the Civil War reconciled and joined hands on the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.  More than 50,000 former soldiers attended the event, where, as President Woodrow Wilson said in his address, “We have found one another again as brothers and comrades in arms, enemies no longer.”

A75BB693-1631-4701-A0FF-9FAFB943EA0D.png.b72323c466eae384fb51380274d21562.png

It’s too bad that some contemporary others would like to hold on to the sentiment...like a slogan

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 3

Order of operations - multiplication and division before addition and subtraction.  5 + 1 x 10 is done as 1 x 10, then add the 5.  The answer is 15.
-Pat

I suggest that an order of operations would be imposed by brackets, otherwise execute the operations as they are sequenced (reading from left to right) consistent with our traditional English Language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, C_Hallbert said:

I suggest that an order of operations would be imposed by brackets, otherwise execute the operations as they are sequenced (reading from left to right) consistent with our traditional English Language.

yes, that would make sense, but that would change the outcome of something like "5 x 2 + 3" and "3 + 5 x 2".  one equals 13, the other 30, yet both mathematically should be identical. 

Math isn't designed to be written the same way as text is, where writing it down by hand would be pretty obvious on a lot of formulas what is meant, the limitations of single line text as it is typed makes a mess of many math problems.  

Edited by Cougar_ml
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

yes, that would make sense, but that would change the outcome of something like "5 x 2 + 3" and "3 + 5 x 2".  one equals 13, the other 30, yet both mathematically should be identical. 

Math isn't designed to be written the same way as text is, where writing it down by hand would be pretty obvious on a lot of formulas what is meant, the limitations of single line text as it is typed makes a mess of many math problems.  

Only one shock in the final equation

12 hours ago, C_Hallbert said:

Well, you can suggest that, but the math world would disagree with you, as will their answers.  I think they'll win that contest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

The common acronym to remember the proper order taught when I was in school was PEMDAS - Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication & Division, Addition & Subtraction.

-Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Earth was once invaded by aliens that resembled giant Teddy bears.

All the world's children grabbed them and hugged the stuffing out of them.

TBO was annoyed.

He wanted to Tase a few before they surrendered and returned to their home world.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tous said:

Earth was once invaded by aliens that resembled giant Teddy bears.

All the world's children grabbed them and hugged the stuffing out of them.

TBO was annoyed.

He wanted to Tase a few before they surrendered and returned to their home world.

My wife may have gotten one last Christmas.  Large alien Teddy Bears were $6 at Menard's home improvement stores.

• Like 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic