Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

I remember the excitement for us kids, when the new model cars would come out and all of us would descend on the dealers, to grab the advertising blotters and "give away" crap, advertising their new cars.  It was an annual event for us.

Was the Mustang, with its out of season first introduction, the beginning of the end of “new car season@?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, railfancwb said:

Was the Mustang, with its out of season first introduction, the beginning of the end of “new car season@?

IN my town the prolific paper advertising was over by the 60's.  

When the Mustang came out I was enthralled by it.  It took a year or so for me, then I test drove a '66 for a weekend and tore up the neighboring towns with it.

I took it back and ordered a 67 for my first new car.  I was in love with it and developed a real fetish for Mustangs.

A few years later, my BIL and I got into cars as a side business.  The following years I had 6 or 8 Mustangs from 66 through 68.  I didn't care for how they were evolving after 68.

I forget the year but My oldest daughter bought the mustang with the T roof, claimed to be the most powerful production car in that production year.

She drove it like she wanted to kill herself, a real chip off the old block.  Yes, I still like the old Mustangs.

There used to be a Mustang junk yard in a small farm community near us.  I frequented it for body parts.  He even had a bunch of first 64 1/2 models with manual disc brakes.  It was a fun time.

Just now, pipedreams said:

Screenshot_2019-12-20 .png

I went with a friend from work one lunch hour to buy his 427 Stingray.

The salesman saw that we arrived in my Mustang and proceeded to tell us how the Corvette would run rings around my Mustang.

Being a fun guy, I challenged him to a drag race in front of his dealership.  My mustang and any Vette of his choosing.  He got pretty frustrated when I kept egging him on.  It was a very light rain and the road were wet.

My friend got his Vette and I had a good time during my lunch hour.  No they didn't race me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I went with a friend from work one lunch hour to buy his 427 Stingray.

The salesman saw that we arrived in my Mustang and proceeded to tell us how the Corvette would run rings around my Mustang.

Being a fun guy, I challenged him to a drag race in front of his dealership.  My mustang and any Vette of his choosing.  He got pretty frustrated when I kept egging him on.  It was a very light rain and the road were wet.

My friend got his Vette and I had a good time during my lunch hour.  No they didn't race me.

So, Janice, this Mustang you had, is it in the room with us now? :supergrin:

Seriously, what was in it?

• Like 2

Just now, gwalchmai said:

So, Janice, this Mustang you had, is it in the room with us now? :supergrin:

Seriously, what was in it?

Nothing special except to me.  It was a '67 with parchment interior ( loved pure white interiors), full roof and floor consoles with brushed stainless trim throughout.  2 dr HT with V8 (small block was all they offered) and automatic.

I manually shifted the automatic all the time.  Finally when I went to use the automatic feature, it wouldn't work.  The dealer told me to cycle it in auto once in a while to keep the servos from gunking up.

I used the machine shop at work to make brushed stainless door panels to match all the rest of the stainless interior trim.  Univac had remarkable shop capabilities.

Two years later I replaced it with a grand Torino 351 Windsor bench seat and 4 spd..  No pictures were available of the new model so I ordered it off the dealers "facts book" by horsepower to weight ratio.  The dealer's son took my Mustang off the lot for himself the day I traded it.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

My girlfriend/fiancée/wife worked for the local Chevrolet dealer. At that time dealerships made a big deal of new model introductions. The latest study and greatest would be rolled into the show room and covered until the majestic moment, when an uncovering event was held.

4 minutes ago, tous said:

In the late Seventies, early Eighties, Lancia was the top of the heap in rally.

But -- Italian.

Wins rallies, breaks down on the highway, costs a fortune to keep operating.

Pretty.

One of my best friends had an Alpha then a Lancia. Prior to that he had a Jag XKE.  I felt sorry for him. RIP Bobby J. tom. :crazy:

Edited by deputy tom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1