Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

On 1/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, railfancwb said:

There has been a series of articles in recent “Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading” issues about how to build a working miniature. Steam powered, but probably lower boiler pressure than the prototype

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe that today there are enough Boiler experts to be safe with them.

A steam boiler explosion is a hell of a lot worse than a blown gas engine.

It is a great piece of machinery though!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Put a small block 350 in that sucker

It was a great looking car and carried on the gull wing tradition and they should have go ne into production with it but never did even after decades of experimentation. Mercedes eventually put a 292 cubic inch (4.8 liter) 500 hp twin turbocharged DOHC V8 in a 4rth generation car that achieved an average lap-speed of 250.958 mph at the Nardo Ring test course in Italy and completed the course in 1 minute, 56.67 seconds.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eric said:

2571246813_967ba3e68a_b.jpg

Pangra1.jpg

Reminds me of when  friend and I put a 302 V8 and automatic drive train under a 3 door 71 Pinto. 4 Wheel Disc Brakes of course.  Everything looked original from the outside.

Rear tires were a little wider though.

He used to sit at a stop sign with one foot hard on the brakes and slowly pushing down on the accelerator.  Car would sit and smoke incredibly.  Then when the light turned Green, he would drive away like he was 60 years old. 

• Like 4

I don't believe that today there are enough Boiler experts to be safe with them.
A steam boiler explosion is a hell of a lot worse than a blown gas engine.
It is a great piece of machinery though!

Mass production, no. Custom work, full size steam locomotives and tractors are still being restored and some even being built. Miniature, there are a number of certified boiler makers available.

Miniature boilers normally operate in the 100-125 pound range, sometimes even less. And state laws often limit pressure to 100 pounds regardless of built rating.

But even in the large scale modeling world (1” and up = 1’ scale) steam is being replaced by internal combustion and electric power.

I used to know a guy who had a large 1-1/2”=1’ scale locomotive - I think 4-8-4 wheel arrangement - built to run on steam. He had a train of several passenger carrying cars followed by a caboose. And in that caboose was a gasoline powered air compressor which connected to the locomotive and provided the power to the rails. He had a nice 7-1/2” gauge track in his back yard, and said he wanted to run his train without spending an hour or so firing up, building steam pressure, then having to clean up afterward.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Mass production, no. Custom work, full size steam locomotives and tractors are still being restored and some even being built. Miniature, there are a number of certified boiler makers available.

Miniature boilers normally operate in the 100-125 pound range, sometimes even less. And state laws often limit pressure to 100 pounds regardless of built rating.

But even in the large scale modeling world (1” and up = 1’ scale) steam is being replaced by internal combustion and electric power.

I used to know a guy who had a large 1-1/2”=1’ scale locomotive - I think 4-8-4 wheel arrangement - built to run on steam. He had a train of several passenger carrying cars followed by a caboose. And in that caboose was a gasoline powered air compressor which connected to the locomotive and provided the power to the rails. He had a nice 7-1/2” gauge track in his back yard, and said he wanted to run his train without spending an hour or so firing up, building steam pressure, then having to clean up afterward.

You're right, of course.  I was thinking of general use.  In learning to weld I read many welding manuals and as I posted before, some went back to 1918.

When you think of all the things that can go wrong with a high pressure steam boiler it's prudent to be wary.  Also, the repairs are a skill set all to themselves.  I was particularly fascinated by the techniques required for repairing cracks in the boiler itself.

Today I suspect the public expertise in boilers are as a building source of heat, not propulsion.

The fact is that they are capable of producing a great amount of work is shown in Nuclear Power Generation.

Edited by janice6