Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

F03A7940-232E-46D1-950D-7A0842F4BB60.jpeg

Take a good long look!  It's probably the only Ford of that year without rusted out headlight buckets.

I swear, that year the fender tips and buckets were gone by the end of the year.

All the snow and Salt was thrown up by the tires inside the fenders, and it packed into the fender tips and around the back of the buckets.

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Engine is great.  I never could get used to the  body styling.

You could put a warp drive in a early-Sixties Dodge Polara and it still would be one of the ugliest automobiles ever made.

Edited by tous
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Engine is great.  I never could get used to the  body styling.

Yep. the 62 was an ugly car. The 63 was much better looking. It had one with the old polysphere 318 engines and a push-button torqueflite trans. it was a reliable car. I had a 65 before that with the newer 318 and put a lot of miles on it and never had a problem with it.

1963 Dodge

19-dodge-330-two-door-sedan.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Yep. the 62 was an ugly car. The 63 was much better looking. It had one with the old polysphere 318 engines and a push-button torqueflite trans. it was a reliable car. I had a 65 before that with the newer 318 and put a lot of miles on it and never had a problem with it.

1963 Dodge

19-dodge-330-two-door-sedan.jpg

I have had many 318's in both cars and 4x4's.  I never had one problem with them.  I would wear out everything else, but the engines were pristine.  My last one, I used 0W-20 or 10W-20 it's whole 220K miles and it still didn't take oil between changes.  My daughter bought it from me and finally dumped the transmission.

I did change oil frequently though, I figured it's the cheapest insurance for an engine.

35 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I have had many 318's in both cars and 4x4's.  I never had one problem with them.  I would wear out everything else, but the engines were pristine.  My last one, I used 0W-20 or 10W-20 it's whole 220K miles and it still didn't take oil between changes.  My daughter bought it from me and finally dumped the transmission.

I did change oil frequently though, I figured it's the cheapest insurance for an engine.

Yep, I've always changed my oil regularly and on that '63 Dodge that I had, whoever owned it before me never changed the oil and it was real dirty inside the engine and one day the car started smoking and I don't remember how I figured it out, but the problem was that there is a passageway in the front of both cylinder heads that runs from the cylinder head down to the oil pan to allow excess oil to drain from the cylinder head and that passageway had become clogged and oil was building up and leaking past the valve guides and causing the engine to smoke.

I took the valve covers off and cleaned out the passageways with a coat hanger wire and it solved the problem. Another thing I used to do with a number of cars that I owned was to put a Franz filter on them. The Franz filter user rolls of 2 ply toilet paper for the filter element and you had to tee off from the oil  guage sending unit to the filter and then run a like down to the oil pan where you had to punch a hole an screw in a fitting. Basically by adding the Franz filter your oil was being filtered twice and it kept the oil a lot cleaner.

These days I run synthetic oil.

• Thanks 1