Combining radio and visual tracking of road vehicles

image.png.76cc5dc977769cf6a3400065b20d1858.png

In the latest escalation of surveillance of travelers, data from automated license plate readers (APLRs) is being merged with data from devices that record the unique identifiers of passing WiFi, Bluetooth, and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) devices, including always-on devices intended for in-vehicle communications, entertainment, and network access.

Most new cars, SUVs, and light trucks have built-in WiFi access points and Bluetooth and/or BLE connectivity. Each of these wireless access points transmits a unique identifier — usually fixed or not readily changeable by the vehicle owner or operator — to enable devices in the vehicle — cellphones, wireless earbuds, etc. — to establish and maintain connections. Each of those devices broadcasts its own unique and often fixed identifier.

Once the unique identifying numbers of the in-vehicle wireless access points are linked to a vehicle and the vehicle’s registration record and owner by matching the time and location of device detection with an ALPR scan of the vehicle’s license plate, they can be used to track those devices and log their movements in a permanent file associated with the registered owner, even when those devices leave the vehicle.

So if you use your Bluetooth or BLE earbuds to listen to music or make a phone call in a car, even as a passenger, police can and possibly will continue to track your earbuds’ movements and associate them with that car.

https://papersplease.org/wp/2024/05/01/combining-radio-and-visual-tracking-of-road-vehicles/

According to responses to requests for information about bids for government contracts from Jenoptik, the supplier of this system of detectors and databases:

Jenoptik’s Trafficatch wireless device detection is a value add addition to its Vector fixed ALPR solution. Trafficatch records wireless device Wifi, Bluetooth, and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) signal identifiers that come within range of the device to record gathered information coupled with plate recognition in the area. This can provide additional information to investigators trying to locate persons of interest related to recorded
crimes in the area.

This should be illegal without a warrant, but current case law leaves enough uncertainty that police may feel that they can get away with this sort of tracking without a warrant.

• Sad 5

Being Amish look better and better. 

They eat pretty well, have pretty women, live outside the city...

Plus, I've never done "it" in a buggy.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Big Brother is here. 

No, Big Brother may be there, not he is here with me unless I am on my computer like I am now. And if they are watching, no, I will not put my pants back on!O.o

First off, that A hole is not my brother. Second, I drive old non connected trucks and that is one of the reasons.  

And before anyone says "But they can still track you with your phone" I also have no issues with leaving my Stupid phone in a drawer and do so quite often. Not that I worry about SkyNet. More that I just hate that worthless piece of crap!

• Like 4

Pfft, they already have the blk box.  IF some high up 3 letter Federal agency wants to track you they will.  The NSA and DIA laughs at the FBI going after Catholics or the ATF banning braces.  That is chicken chit stuff.  

The govt. Loves you have smart phones, smart homes, smart TVs, smart thermostats, etc.  Remember Lerner plead the 5th and left.  America, home of the lemmings.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, El Spicoli said:

Pfft, they already have the blk box.  IF some high up 3 letter Federal agency wants to track you they will.  The NSA and DIA laughs at the FBI going after Catholics or the ATF banning braces.  That is chicken chit stuff.  

The govt. Loves you have smart phones, smart homes, smart TVs, smart thermostats, etc.  Remember Lerner plead the 5th and left.  America, home of the lemmings.

I've said this before   If the Government decided 50 years ago that every person had to carry a tracking device 24/7 there would have been a revolt (maybe), so here we are carrying them now and

*************************WE PAY FOR THE "PRIVILEGE" !! *****************************

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DAKA said:

I've said this before   If the Government decided 50 years ago that every person had to carry a tracking device 25/7 there would have been a revolt (maybe), so here we are carrying them now and

*************************WE PAY FOR THE "PRIVILEGE" !! *****************************

Devious SOBs made us want to carry the tracking device.  Convenience over security/privacy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, minderasr said:

Devious SOBs made us want to carry the tracking device.  Convenience over security/privacy.

I had lunch with a friend the the other day, afterward he wanted to talk to me about guns..he asked me to leave my phone in the car and we stood outside talking about 9mm's...paranoid ??

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DAKA said:

I had lunch with a friend the the other day, afterward he wanted to talk to me about guns..he asked me to leave my phone in the car and we stood outside talking about 9mm's...paranoid ??

You should have told him the car is listening too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had a bad accident and at the hospital, I called my insurance company and told them about it.  I was asked how bad the car was damaged, I told them it was totaled.  I had done enough car rebuilding and custom work to know this absolutely.

His response was that he doubted it was totaled!  Then a few seconds later he said. wait!  I guess you are right!  The car just reported the accident and it's pretty severe!

I was stunned since I hadn't set up the Bluetooth to the car!  

My car, I bought it and paid for the title!  Reported me to my insurance company and snitched on me.  I thought this was like testifying against yourself and should be protected by law, at least it's my car, how could it do **** without my approval.

You live and learn.  You don't own **** and you'll be reported on by all your computers.

If you are interested, the other driver was charged with the accident!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ACARS (Aircraft Communications Addressing Reporting System)   has been around for what, 50 years?

They just adapted it for our automobiles.

Just as the smart phones did years ago.

Mebbe for us, using an implant, in the near future.

Yes, the F/A-18E/F calls home periodically to tell Mom how its doing.

I'm pretty sure the F-35 variants do it a whole lot better.

I am convinced that any technology, all technology, is an excuse for those that consider themselves our master to restrict and deny our freedom and liberty.

If we let them.

NB  Military aircraft do not need to follow FAA requirements or regulations, thus do not have 'black boxes: CVR, FDR,' like civilian airliners.

Maybe the transport aircraft do, but keep in mind that the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) is not the investigating agency for military aircraft crashes.

Given the recent DEI civil service, I doubt that even the NTSB is competent anymore.

The branches have their own uniformed investigators -- that might call on the civilian agency for assistance when needed, I imagine.

Consider, if a fighter jet is shot down and the black boxes survive and the enemy recovers them -- let us just say that such data in enemy hands is a bad thing.

As I  understand it, ACARS is usually turned  off when flying into Indian Country.  No sense in emitting a signal that the other guy can hear and locate you.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tous said:

ACARS (Aircraft Communications Addressing Reporting System)   has been around for what, 50 years?

They just adapted it for our automobiles.

Just as the smart phones did years ago.

Mebbe for us, using an implant, in the near future.

Yes, the F/A-18E/F calls home periodically to tell Mom how its doing.

I'm pretty sure the F-35 variants do it a whole lot better.

I am convinced that any technology, all technology, is an excuse for those that consider themselves our master to restrict and deny our freedom and liberty.

If we let them.

NB  Military aircraft do not need to follow FAA requirements or regulations, thus do not have 'black boxes: CVR, FDR,' like civilian airliners.

Maybe the transport aircraft do, but keep in mind that the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) is not the investigating agency for military aircraft crashes.

Given the recent DEI civil service, I doubt that even the NTSB is competent anymore.

The branches have their own uniformed investigators -- that might call on the civilian agency for assistance when needed, I imagine.

Consider, if a fighter jet is shot down and the black boxes survive and the enemy recovers them -- let us just say that such data in enemy hands is a bad thing.

As I  understand it, ACARS is usually turned  off when flying into***** Indian Country.  No sense in emitting a signal that the other guy can hear and locate you.

***** Wha chu mean by dat..:nono:      :anim_rofl2:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

I had a bad accident and at the hospital, I called my insurance company and told them about it.  I was asked how bad the car was damaged, I told them it was totaled.  I had done enough car rebuilding and custom work to know this absolutely.

His response was that he doubted it was totaled!  Then a few seconds later he said. wait!  I guess you are right!  The car just reported the accident and it's pretty severe!

I was stunned since I hadn't set up the Bluetooth to the car!  

My car, I bought it and paid for the title!  Reported me to my insurance company and snitched on me.  I thought this was like testifying against yourself and should be protected by law, at least it's my car, how could it do **** without my approval.

You live and learn.  You don't own **** and you'll be reported on by all your computers.

If you are interested, the other driver was charged with the accident!

I imagine that all new cars have some wifi connectivity built-in that owners may not be aware of. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

I imagine that all new cars have some wifi connectivity built-in that owners may not be aware of. :(

The insurance industry is pushing hard for all vehicles to collect and report data.  But not to worry.  Flo will get you a grand ole discount if you comply!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, minderasr said:

The insurance industry is pushing hard for all vehicles to collect and report data.  But not to worry.  Flo will get you a grand ole discount if you comply!

i.e., noncompliance comes at a premium. :(

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

i.e., noncompliance comes at a premium. :(

Exactly.  I have a friend that prefers (what he calls) dumb cars.  No electronics, no computer, and preferably a manual shift.  Might have to resort to buying older model used cars in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2