Skimmer scammers

gwalchmai

https://www.foxnews.com/us/romanian-mob-coming-debit-cards-atm-style-skimmers-now-self-checkouts

Prosecutors in California say the Romanian mafia has given a new look to an old scam — debit card skimming — by placing devices to steal personal information on self-checkout machines in grocery stores.

Debit card skimmers have long been problematic at gas stations and ATMs. Now a highly organized network of crooks is branching out. 

"They’ll have people sitting outside a Walmart or a Target, and it looks like they’re panhandling," says Kimberly Edds, director of public affairs with the Orange County District Attorney's Office. "Sometimes they’ll have a couple of kids. And they are actually using Bluetooth technology that’s connected to the skimmers inside the stores. So it's like a two for one, getting cash that people give them and stealing the numbers off the skimmers."

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• gwalchmai changed the title to Skimmer scammers
2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I no longer use debit cards for shopping transactions after being hit by a gas pump skimmer. 

I never use the gas pump to pay. Or use ATMs. Something about them being unattended.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

I never use the gas pump to pay. Or use ATMs. Something about them being unattended.

I will add that I also do not do self checkout. For different reasons, but this adds one more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My debit card is only used at my bank's atm.

I only have one (and one emergency one that has never used) AMEX card. For some reason, I think thieves are more scared of them.

I, also, refuse self checkout. I've left carts at the empty registers before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

My debit card is only used at my bank's atm.

This.  Also, I strategically use my credit cards to take maximum advantage of rewards points (which are a scam IMHO).

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

I get a "DANGER Will Robinson!" email or text anytime any of my charge cards are used. 

Same.  Any purchase over $1 and I get notified immediately.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 7:27 AM, MO Fugga said:

Damn gypsies! :shakefist:

Nothing good comes out of Romania.  I said it.

I had a Romania woman with her 2 kids panhandling inside a McDs.  The kids had just gotten out of school and were nicely dressed.  

We had an assistant at the DA's office that was nice enough but she was a crazy lunatic

• Like 1