California snow storm

38 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Doesn’t matter. They don’t have capability to store the runoff. 

That’s the same problem we have here. All comes at once causes massive runoff. No where to store it. Comes little at a time. Soaks into the deep aquifer little by little. Pump it up later. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Remember:  The statement that this was in the mountains.  The mountains have always been the location of the worst snow and conditions during a storm.  I'm afraid that I don't have much sympathy for people dealing with a reoccurring weather situation.

Also note that that snow was warm and melting at the road surface.  That is the reason it's so slippery, not that it was freezing into ice.  

We in Minnesota, are told that our cold Winter is no concern for the rest of the nation since we knew what we were getting into when we lived here.  I will say the same thing to people living in the mountains.  I have little concern for people that know what they are getting into also.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

California figures to get water and electricity from people in the rest of the states. 

Some years ago during another drought, California asked Congress to require the midwestern border states to supply water to California from Lake Superior.  The only thing that stopped this was Canada claiming the lake was a boundry lake and they wouldn't agree.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Doesn’t matter. They don’t have capability to store the runoff. 

If water is so critical you would think they would spend the money to ensure a means to capture water is the most extreme times.  However, I was in San Diego one time on a company trip when I read the local news paper decrying the loss of water in the transport of it from the mountains to the city.

The claim was that almost 1/2 the water starting down the mountains was lost to old and decrepit sluice ways.  The issue of voting to repair these leaking sluice ways to increas the amount of water available to the city was voted down 'cause the voters didn't want to spend the money.

If they won't spend the money to ensure a reliable supply of water for themselves, I have no sympathy for them.  This crisis is/was of their own making.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

If water is so critical you would think they would spend the money to ensure a means to capture water is the most extreme times.  However, I was in San Diego one time on a company trip when I read the local news paper decrying the loss of water in the transport of it from the mountains to the city.

The claim was that almost 1/2 the water starting down the mountains was lost to old and decrepit sluice ways.  The issue of voting to repair these leaking sluice ways to increas the amount of water available to the city was voted down 'cause the voters didn't want to spend the money.

If they won't spend the money to ensure a reliable supply of water for themselves, I have no sympathy for them.  This crisis is/was of their own making.

That's crazy. Pure dipshittery. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, janice6 said:

Some years ago during another drought, California asked Congress to require the midwestern border states to supply water to California from Lake Superior.  The only thing that stopped this was Canada claiming the lake was a boundry lake and they wouldn't agree.

Georgia recently sued or threatened to sue Tennessee, once again claiming that surveyors of old accidently put the border too far south. Previous time they wanted the wealth of copper represented by Ducktown and Copper Hill. This time they want to tap the Tennessee River to benefit Atlanta. Since the Tennessee River is a navigable waterway using locks, the Corps of Engineers might have something to say about the matter. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, railfancwb said:

California figures to get water and electricity from people in the rest of the states. 

So here is my two step plan. 

1: finish the wall across the southern border to keep illegals out of the United States, but If CA wants them leave their border open and proceed to step two.

2: construct a moat with drawbridges around Commiefornia to keep them out and to capture rain water to be sold to the residents in order to recover the cost of building the moat and drawbridges.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, janice6 said:

CA has never made a priority of getting water to the taxpayers. The priority has always been getting wealth and power for the elites. So forget it, Jake. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1