Question about Lincoln’s War…

railfancwb

I have read that some men had enough front teeth pulled that they could no longer quickly tear open a powder cartridge when reloading a rifle or musket. This supposedly kept them from being drafted because they were physically unable to serve

How much truth is in this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I have read that some men had enough front teeth pulled that they could no longer quickly tear open a powder cartridge when reloading a rifle or musket. This supposedly kept them from being drafted because they were physically unable to serve

How much truth is in this?

That's what we were taught in school. tom.

• Like 2

I think it was 18 years before the civil war the south agreed to a plan to phase out slavery over a six year period, the idea being to give their economy a transition period. It started with all were born free, then over a certain age and women were released, then everyone was set free. Other details, but that was the gist of it.

The north refused because "Slavery is evil and must stop now!"

Lots of blood spilled needlessly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fog said:

I think it was 18 years before the civil war the south agreed to a plan to phase out slavery over a six year period, the idea being to give their economy a transition period. It started with all were born free, then over a certain age and women were released, then everyone was set free. Other details, but that was the gist of it.

The popular press in the north made slavery a primary issue. Per Lincoln’s speeches he was willing to have the constitution amended to explicitly allow it in states where it existed - which in fact would have included many northern states. His Emancipation Proclamation exempted states not part of the rebellion. In fact, slaves in “West” Virginia could not be affected by the proclamation while those in “Old” Virginia were.

Lincoln’s War was primarily about collecting his tariff which protected northern industry from British and other European industry and financed the federal government.

Before Lincoln’s War “These United States are…” while after his war “The United States is…”

• Like 4

I'm not a history expert by any means, but it seems the civil war is one of the least understood major world events, and it was by design.

By saying "It was about slavery!" it almost seems like maybe all the deaths were worth it.  But if you say "I spilled the blood of all your loved ones for a business deal to protect my donors." that is just much harder to market.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Fog said:

I'm not a history expert by any means, but it seems the civil war is one of the least understood major world events, and it was by design.

By saying "It was about slavery!" it almost seems like maybe all the deaths were worth it.  But if you say "I spilled the blood of all your loved ones for a business deal to protect my donors." that is just much harder to market.

The truth is often bitter.

• Like 4

On 2/26/2024 at 12:56 AM, Fog said:

The northern states, and feds didn't want the south to profit from the industrial revolution that was starting in full swing. They were afraid the would become "too powerful". The south also wanted to make their own agreements for commerce with foreign countries.

Slavery was an excuse and the was halted the expansion of the industrial revolution and kept the practice of slavery in tact longer than it would have been. A lot, maybe all the slave states noted the practice as one of their reasons for secession. That one line is the basis of the popular rhetoric.

Not a fan of the US .gov of the time, along with the preposterous sanctions of the oppressed victims they created. Lincoln wanted to send all the blacks out of the US. That was the original plan, not sure what happened to it though.

Not sure what the story was about the teeth in the OP either. Never heard that story until now.

• Like 4