Who's Up For a Hike?

Eric

• Administrators

L & L Classic Auto in Wendell, Idaho is the largest auto salvage yard in the world, covering more than 86 acres. I could spend a lot of time in money in a place like that.

422432074_10225098412904344_3070927244096447028_n.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators
Just now, tous said:

Is that orange car a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda with the back glass intact?

That's probably worth a house or two.

I'm surprised by some of the stuff still sitting there.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eric said:

L & L Classic Auto in Wendell, Idaho is the largest auto salvage yard in the world, covering more than 86 acres. I could spend a lot of time in money in a place like that.

422432074_10225098412904344_3070927244096447028_n.jpg

Crusher doesn’t show up there much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Lot near me seems to send away a flatbed load of crushed vehicles weekly.

I worked in a salvage yard in college (we were not allowed to call it a "junk" yard).

His cars got to live their predestined time there...  and then got crushed.

I saw a lot of old Mustangs and VW Bugs get the smoosh.

The crusher guys had their own crew to remove windows and other desirable parts before they pulled the handle.

• Thanks 1

Salvage yards like that have so many deaths represented. After the investigation the cars go from the secured lot to wherever the insurance company sends them.

Years ago we got a call from a guy pulling a starter off a VW bug that had the remains of a hand and arm. Wreck was from seventeen years before, all he found was bones. Somebody  missed it when cleaning up I guess.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Fog said:

Salvage yards like that have so many deaths represented. After the investigation the cars go from the secured lot to wherever the insurance company sends them.

Years ago we got a call from a guy pulling a starter off a VW bug that had the remains of a hand and arm. Wreck was from seventeen years before, all he found was bones. Somebody  missed it when cleaning up I guess.

In the 70's when I was "building" Dune Buggys we needed VW's that were crashed in the front... I'd go to a few "junk yards" looking for them

It got to the point that they would call me when they had one, 

One time they sent me out to the yard to look at one that had gone under the tail of a truck just at windshield height, needless to say they got a good laugh at me when I came back to the office looking pale...

blood. hair and other mess was still there... needless to say I did not take that one, and every time after that I asked first...what's there?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, DAKA said:

In the 70's when I was "building" Dune Buggys we needed VW's that were crashed in the front... I'd go to a few "junk yards" looking for them

One time they sent me out to the yard to look at one that had gone under the tail of a truck just at windshield height, needless to say they got a good laugh at me when I came back to the office looking pale...

blood. hair and other mess was still there... needless to say I did not take that one, and every time after that I asked first...what's there?

I owned a few bugs back in the 70's and 80's and where I lived there was a junkyard that specialized in V-dubs and owned by a Scotsman names Willie. One time he had an early 60's bug with a chopped top that someone hd done a real nice job on it and it had all the custom glass but it was totally stripped, just the body, no frame. I was tempted but didn't have the money that he wanted for it and didn't have a place to work on it.

I once found a blank check for, like, $200K (this was many decades ago) in an ashtray.

I would have instantly handed to anyone that wanted to try to cash it,  but there were no takers.  I gave it to the boss.  Men in suits showed up about 30 minutes later.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DAKA said:

I got toughened up when my BIL enlisted me to help clean up a car his brother had gut shot himself in.  He used a 12 gauge shotgun, then sat in the Summer sun in a woods for three days.

We stripped it clean inside and took a garden hose to the interior,  the water ran red with blood for quite a while.  I would have written off the car but BIL couldn't pass up the money..............:crazy:

Hardest part was getting rid of the smell.  Found a body shop that had a solution you loaded into your spray gun and shot in through the wing window till gone.  Then close it up in the sun for a week.  It worked!

I used to frequent a Ford Junk Yard a guy had at his father's farm.  He had a lot set aside for Mustangs.  I was in Vermillion, MN.  Many first produced 641/2's with (IIRC) 260 cid and manual disc brakes.  Every year up to 1990.

He was my go to for parts.  I loved Mustangs and had at least a half dozen one at a time.  Never newer than 68!

While nowhere near the same scale, I visited a number of local "unofficial junkyards" in an official capacity. 

Lots of rot, but some pretty interesting finds too. I tried a quick google-fu search before I post this next, but to no success:

I ran across a 6 door station wagon (3 full size side opening doors per side). I don't remember the make, but am pretty certain it fell under on GM brand or another. The interesting part is it was a standard production vehicle, but not mass produced. If I had any automotive skills I would have tried to purchase it just for it's uniqueness. It was large, I'm talking early 1970's large station wagon, and large enough for full size doors. IIRC it was a shade of the blah light brown. I want to say there was wood theme panelling down the side, but maybe that's just the Grizwald fan in me. :tbo:

-EDIT

Found it!

Buick Roadmaster

six-door-1992-buick-roadmaster.jpg

The Buick Roadmaster is an automobile that was built by Buick from 1936 until 1942, from 1946 until 1958, and then again from 1991 until 1996. Roadmasters produced between 1936 and 1958 were built on Buick's longest non-limousine wheelbase and shared their basic structure with the entry-level Cadillac Series 65, the Buick Limited, and after 1940, the Oldsmobile 98. Between 1946 and 1957 the Roadmaster served as Buick's flagship.

When it was resurrected for the 1991 through 1996 model years, it became the marque's largest vehicle. The Roadmaster sedan, a C-body vehicle over its eight previous generations, shared the B-body for the first time in its history. It was 10 in (254 mm) longer with a 5 in (127 mm) greater wheelbase than the C-body Buick Park Avenue. It was also larger both in wheelbase (2 in (51 mm)) and overall length (6 in (152 mm)) than the K-body Cadillac DeVille.

Buick Roadmaster Estate station wagon was introduced in 1947 and was manufactured in several generations through 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Roadmaster

• Like 2

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, TBO said:

While nowhere near the same scale, I visited a number of local "unofficial junkyards" in an official capacity. 

Lots of rot, but some pretty interesting finds too. I tried a quick google-fu search before I post this next, but to no success:

I ran across a 6 door station wagon (3 full size side opening doors per side). I don't remember the make, but am pretty certain it fell under on GM brand or another. The interesting part is it was a standard production vehicle, but not mass produced. If I had any automotive skills I would have tried to purchase it just for it's uniqueness. It was large, I'm talking early 1970's large station wagon, and large enough for full size doors. IIRC it was a shade of the blah light brown. I want to say there was wood theme panelling down the side, but maybe that's just the Grizwald fan in me. :tbo:

-EDIT

Found it!

Buick Roadmaster

six-door-1992-buick-roadmaster.jpg

The Buick Roadmaster is an automobile that was built by Buick from 1936 until 1942, from 1946 until 1958, and then again from 1991 until 1996. Roadmasters produced between 1936 and 1958 were built on Buick's longest non-limousine wheelbase and shared their basic structure with the entry-level Cadillac Series 65, the Buick Limited, and after 1940, the Oldsmobile 98. Between 1946 and 1957 the Roadmaster served as Buick's flagship.

When it was resurrected for the 1991 through 1996 model years, it became the marque's largest vehicle. The Roadmaster sedan, a C-body vehicle over its eight previous generations, shared the B-body for the first time in its history. It was 10 in (254 mm) longer with a 5 in (127 mm) greater wheelbase than the C-body Buick Park Avenue. It was also larger both in wheelbase (2 in (51 mm)) and overall length (6 in (152 mm)) than the K-body Cadillac DeVille.

Buick Roadmaster Estate station wagon was introduced in 1947 and was manufactured in several generations through 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Roadmaster

How about a '68 Toronado AQC Jetway? :greensupergrin: The Toronado was an ideal platform for such a vehicle, being a FWD with a big V-8 up front.

Oldsmobile_Toronado_AQC_Jetway_1968_(3).jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

How about a '68 Toronado AQC Jetway? :greensupergrin: The Toronado was an ideal platform for such a vehicle, being a FWD with a big V-8 up front.

Q. How many cup holders?  :tbo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Eric said:

Early "stretch" ?

• Like 1