iPhone or Android

OldSchool64

4 minutes ago, minderasr said:

On the contrary.  Your cell phone may be able to use Wi-Fi calling.  I have to use it in my house because the cell signal is weak.

Has not helped in my house. I guess this is something I need to enable in settings?

• Thanks 1

Just now, jmohme said:

Has not helped in my house. I guess this is something I need to enable in settings?

I use this all the time.  It's really good.  Yes.  It says, "Enable WiFi calling".  Then if any WiFi is available to your phone, it will utilize it to make calls.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jmohme said:

I think the most annoying thing to me about the terrible cell service is that I can walk out my back door and see the cell tower.  They tell me that I am too close and in the shadow of the cell signal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

I have had good luck with BT it usually is good for about 50 feet for me.

Yea, the one in her car can go a couple hundred(ish) as long as it is line of sight. That is about as far as I was in the car listening to he say "hello" to an incoming call and trying to disable the connection.

I've been listening to a BT speaker a good way from the phone or computer and the connection is very good.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Yes, at least that's how it works on my Pixel.  Open settings and search for "Wi-Fi Calling".  On my Pixel there is a switch to enable it.  You will probably be prompted to enter your address for 911 purposes.  But it works great.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 1:28 PM, Eric said:

I think that the iPhone is the worst choice of smart phones on the market, except for all the rest. There is a lot to dislike about the iPhone and the company who makes it, but I believe it is a far better product than its competitors. For now.

An important consideration for me is that I am a Mac computer user and the iPhone dovetails nicely with the MacOS. Windows guys may find that the Android phone integration with Windows tips the scales in the direction of the Android devices.

I've been a Linux user since updates for win7 ended.... On that note I've found Android plays more nicely with Linux than iPhone. 

• Like 2

Android is open source, kinda the same as Linux is. Some of you know what I mean, and it means users (or phone manufactures) of the platform can tweak it to suit their needs/purpose. iPhone is what it is... and once you know how it works - it is controllable by the user., at least to some extend. I somewhat reluctantly have experience with both, and I see it easier to slap down iPhone in the settings menu when I don't want my phone doing anything I don't want it to do. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:36 PM, OldSchool64 said:

I know it's kinda like asking Ginger or Mary Ann, but curious which you like and why.

BTW: I liked Mary Ann. :)

Basic flip phone for me. I don't like so-called smart phones. I just want a phone to be a phone and be able to make calls and receive calls. I don't even do texting.  Life is complicated enough as it is. I like things to be simple. That's why I drive an older car with roll-up windows and doors that lock with a key.

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into this new century.:fred:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Borg warner said:

Basic flip phone for me. I don't like so-called smart phones. I just want a phone to be a phone and be able to make calls and receive calls. I don't even do texting.  Life is complicated enough as it is. I like things to be simple. That's why I drive an older car with roll-up windows and doors that lock with a key.

I would have been very happy to keep my flip phone, but unfortunately the texting became a hassle, and I really don't like talking on the phone or having to call people back so...

Texting is perfect, I can answer with out talking   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I am with you on that. If I didn't find my Apple watch so useful, I would have tossed my iphone in the trash some time ago, but have to have it to pair to the watch.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:54 PM, janice6 said:

People say that Alexa is "listening".  So every once in a while I spew many of my more moronic thoughts to her with a vengeance, hoping someone is listening to me!

It's just recorded for SkyNet to analyze later. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

It's just recorded for SkyNet to analyze later. 

Do you also scream at "The Bitch In The Box"  (GPS) when "she" can't find the location you want ?    I do :outtahere:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAKA said:

Do you also scream at "The Bitch In The Box"  (GPS) when "she" can't find the location you want ?    I do :outtahere:

NO, The woman in the GPS is the only one I can silence!!!!  :anim_rofl2:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, DAKA said:

I would have been very happy to keep my flip phone, but unfortunately the texting became a hassle, and I really don't like talking on the phone or having to call people back so...

Texting is perfect, I can answer with out talking   

Texting is wonderful for communicating.  You, the called party, get to read and answer at your convenience not at the callers.  Also, the text is there as soon as you turn on your phone. Even if your out of range, texts appear when you connect.  You can text and forget, knowing that the other person will receive it.  This is my main complaint about cell phones, the calls I get are when the caller has the time but don't consider when I have time for a call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rellik said:

I call mine Sylvia. 

Wife sometimes get laughing so hard when I get in an argument with the GPS.  Sometimes it gets pretty heated and I call her a bitch, while my wife is in hysterics over this.  I hate when the GPS woman wants me to go her way and I don't want to.....

I love making my wife laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, minderasr said:

@jmohme were you able to get Wi-Fi calling working?

13 hours ago, minderasr said:

@jmohme were you able to get Wi-Fi calling working?

I am away on a job, but I told my wife about it and it seems to be working when she calls me on her smart stupid phone from the house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DAKA said:

My wife and I were working a horse show in Florida in 2015. We had just finished for the day and  got in the pickup to drove around the area looking for a place to get dinner.

While I was driving, my wife googled and found a the name of a place and told me to have Siri get directions.  I reminded her that I hated Siri and Siri hated me. She called BS on that so I pulled into a stip mall parking lot and handed her my phone.  She says "Hey Siri" and asked that bitch to route us to this place.

SirI had us get back to the road and make a left, then another left, and right and so on. After about 15 minutes of running thorugh vaious neghborhoods, Siri finally had us make a right turn into the very parking lot whe had left 15 minutes ago and proclaimed "You have arrived at your destination".   And no, the place was not there!

I will say it again. Siri is a maniacal bitch!  I hate Siri and Siri hates me!

• Haha 3