iPhone or Android

OldSchool64

On 1/11/2024 at 10:53 PM, pipedreams said:

Google, Samsung and other manufactures sell their phones unlocked without the bloatware you get when purchasing from a phone company.  You don't get all those app games that most people never play.

Unlocked does not mean the phone comes without bloatware.  It just means the phone is not forever tied to a particular carrier (Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.).  The only way to de-bloat a phone is to root and/or de-google it.

Samsung is the worst when it comes to bloatware.  They pile on a bunch of apps that duplicate the same apps Google provides.  Many of them cannot be removed either.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, minderasr said:

Unlocked does not mean the phone comes without bloatware.  It just means the phone is not forever tied to a particular carrier (Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.).  The only way to de-bloat a phone is to root and/or de-google it.

Samsung is the worst when it comes to bloatware.  They pile on a bunch of apps the duplicate the same apps that Google provides.  Many of them cannot be removed either.

Yes they are two different things but you don't have all the crap that companies like Verizon add on.  How do you  de-google a Google phone?  All Android phones come with Google as the search engine but that is easily changed.

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Yes they are two different things but you don't have all the crap that companies like Verizon add on.  How do you  de-google a Google phone?  All Android phones come with Google as the search engine but that is easily changed.

First, not all phones can be de-googled. The easiest phones to de-google are Pixel phones bought directly from Google (unlocked). You can buy de-googled phones directly.  But IMO your best bet is to do it yourself. Tons of how-to sites/videos are out there.

Second, note that by de-googling your phone you will lose some functionality.  All the Google apps you're used to will have to be replaced with alternatives.  Thankfully there are plenty of Free and Open Source (FOSS) apps available to fill the gap.  But note they won't be a polished as the Google versions.

There are a variety of de-google operating systems available, but the most popular right now is Graphene OS (which is still Android based).

Here is a good article on the pros and cons of running a de-googled phone.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/i-used-android-without-google-here-are-the-pros-and-cons

Here's a good video explaining the GrapheneOS installation process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I'm looking into buying  a unlocked Pixel directly from Google so I'll keep that all in mind.  I'm not a purest but do like to get rid of excess stuff that clutters things up.  This will be the first time to not own a Samsung Galaxy phone which I have always been pleased with.

When you said de-google I though it was just something you made up to be quite honest.  I was aware of some alternate OS's but not what the video shows.  Don't think I will go that far but will disable as much as possible and use Qwant for search instead of Google.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, LostinTexas said:

Apple wants to own your very soul, and will. They make a very nice product, they control all the QC, they are the only builder of the product, and they seem to last well enough as long as Apple isn't doing underhanded crap in the background, and not doing it well enough to not get caught.

I am reminded of the South Park episode where Kyle doesn't read the terms of the contract on his ITunes account and is forced to be a human centipede.  The writers of SP are always on point.

Shadow can't be bothered with this chit.

PXL_20230606_225509627.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Valmet said:

I’ve been an iPhone guy since 2010…

I was given one of the first iPhones. I think that was in 2007. It was pretty cool being able to do phone things and also internet and the apps.

Then the ipad came along and as far as I am concerned, the iphone and all other smart stupidphones became irrelevant at that time. Why hurt my old eyes trying to read anthing on that small screen when I can have a more reasonalby sized screen for those things.  

I think all of the phone makers saw that also and that is why they started making phones that were too large to conveinently carry. That is the primary reason  why I am about 10 generations behind on my phone.  I won't own a phone that I can not fit in my shirt pocket. Even the ones that will now it takes two hands. one to handle the phone and the other to streatch open the pocket.

Then the celular enabled watches came to be and now I rarely even take my phone out of my nightstnad drawer.

I guess phones now are better than the old land lines, but maybe not always as amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI0rfv6Cw1M

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jmohme said:

I was given one of the first iPhones. I think that was in 2007. It was pretty cool being able to do phone things and also internet and the apps.

Then the ipad came along and as far as I am concerned, the iphone and all other smart stupidphones became irrelevant at that time. Why hurt my old eyes trying to read anthing on that small screen when I can have a more reasonalby sized screen for those things.  

I think all of the phone makers saw that also and that is why they started making phones that were too large to conveinently carry. That is the primary reason  why I am about 10 generations behind on my phone.  I won't own a phone that I can not fit in my shirt pocket. Even the ones that will now it takes two hands. one to handle the phone and the other to streatch open the pocket.

Then the celular enabled watches came to be and now I rarely even take my phone out of my nightstnad drawer.

I guess phones now are better than the old land lines, but maybe not always as amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI0rfv6Cw1M

No, they aren't. Convincing people their cell phone is breaking up or losing signal is impossible. They are so defiant. Dude, I'm on a wired line. Stand still, and in another place. I hate them, and really hated them when working. Not that they don't have redeeming qualities, and people just don't talk to each other they text, but they are nothing as clear or reliable as land lines. Don't get me started on the jackwagons rocked back in their chair yelling at their speaker phone. :599c6446eb707_cussing2:

Talking to my wife while she is walking around the house is frustrating. Stand still and in a place I can hear you. YES it's you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

No, they aren't. Convincing people their cell phone is breaking up or losing signal is impossible. They are so defiant. Dude, I'm on a wired line. Stand still, and in another place. I hate them, and really hated them when working. Not that they don't have redeeming qualities, and people just don't talk to each other they text, but they are nothing as clear or reliable as land lines. Don't get me started on the jackwagons rocked back in their chair yelling at their speaker phone. :599c6446eb707_cussing2:

Talking to my wife while she is walking around the house is frustrating. Stand still and in a place I can hear you. YES it's you.

Two words.  Ear buds.  Phone stays planted where ever the best reception is, and your wife can still walk around the house talking to you.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 6:03 PM, pipedreams said:

Thanks I'm looking into buying  a unlocked Pixel directly from Google

Avoid the 7 or 7A if possible.  My sister just bought a brand new 7A and is having all sorts of problems with it.  Main one being, even at max volume, the notifications/ringtones are about inaudible.  She was talking about returning it, but we haven't spoken in a while.  So no idea if she was able to exchange it or not.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, minderasr said:

Avoid the 7 or 7A if possible.  My sister just bought a brand new 7A and is having all sorts of problems with it.  Main one being, even at max volume, the notifications/ringtones are about inaudible.  She was talking about returning it, but we haven't spoken in a while.  So no idea if she was able to exchange it or not.

Yes, they have some bad reviews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minderasr said:

Two words.  Ear buds.  Phone stays planted where ever the best reception is, and your wife can still walk around the house talking to you.

That does not always work in a larger house.

Plus, ear buds are Bluetooth, and I have never had anything Bluetooth that as not at some time pissed me off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minderasr said:

Not going to that much trouble. She won't even bother to pair it withe her hearing aid. She said it gets annoying because it plays alerts through it too. Just get somewhere. We all know where they work in the house, and ours is the living room., so it isn't like it's inconvenient.

2 hours ago, jmohme said:

Plus, ear buds are Bluetooth, and I have never had anything Bluetooth that as not at some time pissed me off.

Most bluetooth any more is solid. Ours will link for a pretty good distance and hold well enough. I'm not betting the farm on any electronic, so I suppose expectations and all. I remember BT being rather frustrating, but any more it is used in so many things, it is rather amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Not going to that much trouble. She won't even bother to pair it withe her hearing aid. She said it gets annoying because it plays alerts through it too. Just get somewhere. We all know where they work in the house, and ours is the living room., so it isn't like it's inconvenient.

Most bluetooth any more is solid. Ours will link for a pretty good distance and hold well enough. I'm not betting the farm on any electronic, so I suppose expectations and all. I remember BT being rather frustrating, but any more it is used in so many things, it is rather amazing.

I have had good luck with BT it usually is good for about 50 feet for me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, minderasr said:

Can't say about the 7A but I have had the 7 since they first rolled it out and mine has been awesome.  None of the issues you describe.

• Like 1

I’m an apple guy 15pro max. I don’t even know what bloatware means. Of course I don’t download a bunch of apps for games and social media crap either. I looked at the new Samsung and liked it but I just like the iPhone better. Plus I’m on my iPad way more than phone. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jmohme said:

Maybe a Wi-Fi extender then, to improve coverage throughout the house?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Spicoli said:

Can't say about the 7A but I have had the 7 since they first rolled it out and mine has been awesome.  None of the issues you describe.

I shouldn't have said anything.  I reached out to my sister.  She fixed the problem by cleaning out the speaker ports.  Apparently the cavernous black hole that is her pocketbook is filled with debris, some of which clogged the ports.

She's happy once again, and I have egg on my face.  :wink2:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, minderasr said:

I shouldn't have said anything.  I reached out to my sister.  She fixed the problem by cleaning out the speaker ports.  Apparently the cavernous black hole that is her pocketbook is filled with debris, some of which clogged the ports.

She's happy once again, and I have egg on my face.  :wink2:

LOL......sounds like my wife.  We are going somewhere and her phone goes off, take five minutes to find it meanwhile the call has ended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, minderasr said:

Maybe a Wi-Fi extender then, to improve coverage throughout the house?

We have a Mesh system for our wifi. That doesn nothing for bluetooth or cellular.

I personally think that the gods of bluetooth just don't like me. I have never had a single bluetooth device that did not frequently give me crap

I actually have a theory on that.  When I was a kid, my mother was one of those people that could not wear a watch. If she did, it would quit working within a week or two. She could also disrupt a TV signal walking by the set.  I think I inherited here electrical aura and it shares a frequency with BT. 

Just a theory

The other theory is that it is Siri's and Alexa's fault. They both are maniacal bitches you know. O.o

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jmohme said:

We have a Mesh system for our wifi. That doesn nothing for bluetooth or cellular.

On the contrary.  Your cell phone may be able to use Wi-Fi calling.  I have to use it in my house because the cell signal is weak.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

LOL......sounds like my wife.  We are going somewhere and her phone goes off, take five minutes to find it meanwhile the call has ended.

Wife and I have been shopping in a large store.  She wanders off looking at things.  Finally, I lose her and decide to call her cell.  I do, then I hear it ringing in her purse, which is in the shopping cart that I am pushing.

I can't convince her that I need some reliable means of contacting her when she is shopping.  She's 85 and starting to forget things.  She is the center of my Universe and I won't let her get lost!

I try to tell her to carry her phone everywhere with her. It's our lifeline.  But, she thinks she will carry it when she needs it!!!!!!!

I tell her that if she know when she needs it she should know enough to come to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jmohme said:

I personally think that the gods of bluetooth just don't like me. I have never had a single bluetooth device that did not frequently give me crap

I actually have a theory on that.  When I was a kid, my mother was one of those people that could not wear a watch. If she did, it would quit working within a week or two. She could also disrupt a TV signal walking by the set.  I think I inherited here electrical aura and it shares a frequency with BT. 

Just a theory

The other theory is that it is Siri's and Alexa's fault. They both are maniacal bitches you know. O.o

People say that Alexa is "listening".  So every once in a while I spew many of my more moronic thoughts to her with a vengeance, hoping someone is listening to me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

People say that Alexa is "listening".  So every once in a while I spew many of my more moronic thoughts to her with a vengeance, hoping someone is listening to me!

And here I thought I was the only one. :dancinsmiley:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2