Cornbread

gwalchmai

Sugar  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion of sugar in cornbread?

• Delightful variation on a traditional theme
    • Harbinger of the fall of civilization
    • There's bread?

2 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Well, sort of. Grits are traditionally made from hominy. About the only use for hominy I have, well grits and mesa, but others seem to love the stuff. A waste of good corn if you ask me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mostly.

Umm, no.  There's grits, and there's hominy grits, not the same thing.  Grits go with salt and butter.  Hominy grits go in the trash.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Butter to lubricate your arteries. Sugar will not do that. O.o

Nope. Sugar has all those little sharp edges. Butter is smoooth. You could sandblast the paint off your car with sugar. Butter would just give it a big warm hug.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We call the Hoe cakes. There is supposed to be some slight difference in the biblical sense (cornmeal content), but today, they seem to be one in the same. Great for when you don't want a whole pan of cornbread too.

They go well with this. bc277c6d-5732-4df7-a10e-094cf3e1769c_1.7636b155263e561b0f2495bbb340f646.webp.33499c23a2d9628234f32e221d781090.webp

For some reason I can't see the pic what is it?

We call the Hoe cakes. There is supposed to be some slight difference in the biblical sense (cornmeal content), but today, they seem to be one in the same. Great for when you don't want a whole pan of cornbread too.

They go well with this. bc277c6d-5732-4df7-a10e-094cf3e1769c_1.7636b155263e561b0f2495bbb340f646.webp.33499c23a2d9628234f32e221d781090.webp

We made hoe cakes in cub scouts. It was BYOH, of course. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Ramjet38 said:

For some reason I can't see the pic what is it?

https://www.steenssyrup.com

Roughly refined from sugar cane. It is thick, dark, and has the sorghum flavor notes. I' sure some connoisseur will educate me on that one, but it is a southern thing, I guess. Certainly a Louisiana thing, and east Texas ain't far from there.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Eric said:

I've never had polenta stiff enough to slice and fry. I like to make it fairly thin.

Make it a little stiffer and/or put it in the fridge to hhicken, then it’ll slice decently so you can fry it.  Or just cheat and buy the refrigerated tubes of it from the grocery store and slice it like it was for sausage patties… I’ve done that camping.

• Like 3

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Make it a little stiffer and/or put it in the fridge to hhicken, then it’ll slice decently so you can fry it.  Or just cheat and buy the refrigerated tubes of it from the grocery store and slice it like it was for sausage patties… I’ve done that camping.

I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

• Like 1

Fried cornbread, oven baked, grits with sugar and butter.

When I was young MOM made water corn bread (poor folks) and used water for biscuits.

Grits and oatmeal were cheap, so we ate a lot for breakfast.

I still eat the foods I grew up with. To me they are good food. I have had folks tell me I like poor people food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Fried cornbread, oven baked, grits with sugar and butter.

When I was young MOM made water corn bread (poor folks) and used water for biscuits.

Grits and oatmeal were cheap, so we ate a lot for breakfast.

I still eat the foods I grew up with. To me they are good food. I have had folks tell me I like poor people food.

Hot water cornbread is a staple.

• Like 1

I never had grits before several years ago. So I don't really know how to eat them.

The first time, I instantly invented putting a gob of butter on them. That's it. I have put salt and sugar (not at same time!) and like them both.

I like them very thick. The liquid ones will gag me.

And I think cornbread was invented to sop up and wipe your plate clean.
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I never had grits before several years ago. So I don't really know how to eat them.

The first time, I instantly invented putting a gob of butter on them. That's it. I have put salt and sugar (not at same time!) and like them both.

I like them very thick. The liquid ones will gag me.

And I think cornbread was invented to sop up and wipe your plate clean.

Of course it was.

Try telling that to a Yankee.

But then, I can't for the life of me figure out why a sane human being, wven a Yankee,  can slurp a raw oyster off the shell and seem to enjoy it.

It takes some time and effort, plus a little imagination to figure out how you like your grits.

After that, life is good.

Like others, our family wasn't rich, heck, we were just a shade above poor, but my sister and I never wanted for anything and always ate well, even when it was tuna fish casserole or tuna fish and cream of mushroom soup on toast.

Thanks, Mom, Dad.  :angel:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tous said:

Of course it was.

Try telling that to a Yankee.

But then, I can't for the life of me figure out why a sane human being, wven a Yankee,  can slurp a raw oyster off the shell and seem to enjoy it.

It takes some time and effort, plus a little imagination to figure out how you like your grits.

After that, life is good.

Like others, our family wasn't rich, heck, we were just a shade above poor, but my sister and I never wanted for anything and always ate well, even when it was tuna fish casserole or tuna fish and cream of mushroom soup on toast.

Thanks, Mom, Dad.  :angel:

I really don't lie grits, but I would eat a quart of them before I would even look at a raw oyster!:ack2:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jmohme said:

I really don't lie grits, but I would eat a quart of them before I would even look at a raw oyster!:ack2:

Some people just don't appreciate the finer things in life..   You probably eat cream of wheat though!!   LOL

• Like 1