Cornbread

gwalchmai

Sugar  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion of sugar in cornbread?

• Delightful variation on a traditional theme
    • Harbinger of the fall of civilization
    • There's bread?

I worked several weeks at a rural, rural southern area. The closest (only?) place for lunch was a lopsided roadside plywood building. Cafeteria style. It was always pretty busy. And pretty freakin' good. (don't focus on the sanitation details too long). Cornbread from heaven.

But, of which I've never heard, they had "fried" cornbread. They had the cornbread batter in a squirt-jug. Instead of baking a loaf with it, they just squirted some into a hot cast iron pan.

It came out pretty flat (like a thick tortilla), and hot, and gooey-soft, and addictively delicious. I've never seen it since.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I worked several weeks at a rural, rural southern area. The closest (only?) place for lunch was a lopsided roadside plywood building. Cafeteria style. It was always pretty busy. And pretty freakin' good. (don't focus on the sanitation details too long). Cornbread from heaven.

But, of which I've never heard, they had "fried" cornbread. They had the cornbread batter in a squirt-jug. Instead of baking a loaf with it, they just squirted some into a hot cast iron pan.

It came out pretty flat (like a thick tortilla), and hot, and gooey-soft, and addictively delicious. I've never seen it since.

Fried cornbread comes in several forms, but from your description, I love that stuff.

It is a staple in many forms in these parts.

We need to ask questions of folk that want to move to the Republic, especially those from California and Noooooo Yawk.

Have you ever eaten cornbread?

What is the main ingredient in corn bread?

Do you know what cornbread is?

Is cornbread eaten with a fork?

When is it okay to bake cornbread with sugar?

Horses are mounted from which side?

How many firearms do you own and is one of them a Single Action Army model?

How many days can you be in the Republic before you buy a Stetson and cowboy boots?

If they answer any of these questions wrong, just nudge 'em on to Oklahoma.

:cowboy2:

• Like 3

The same folks that claim to not like ketchup on hotdogs say cornbread has no sugar.

This is my go to:

image.png.2702467f7bbea045e69dd8a59a868821.png

I guess nits could be picked here because it says corn muffin mix, but I just dump it in a pan and make bread.

It says right on the box it's America's favorite.  They can't lie about stuff like that.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Peng said:

The same folks that claim to not like ketchup on hotdogs say cornbread has no sugar.

This is my go to:

image.png.2702467f7bbea045e69dd8a59a868821.png

I guess nits could be picked here because it says corn muffin mix, but I just dump it in a pan and make bread.

It says right on the box it's America's favorite.  They can't lie about stuff like that.

Heathen.

• Like 3

We made buttermilk cornbread last night. I'm having a "ham & swiss on corn" slider for lunch. I got White Lily Buttermilk mix and added buttermilk. It turned out great! Only issue is the mix is fine ground and I grew up with coarse, but that is just an opportunity for fine-tuning. When eatin's involved I'm a fine tuna. 

image.thumb.jpeg.644a75be073ec63463b9d22f0e841786.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, tous said:

Next thing you know, there will be ignorant folk that claim that you should eat corn bread with a fork.

Sometimes we mix beans & cornbread, greens & cornbread, or peas & cornbread. Depending on your likker preferences, that may require a spoon, a fork, or an entrenching tool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, DAKA said:

What about GRITS ? Any GRITS lovers here ?

I prefer polenta, but I like grits as well. I like to make both with a good bit of chick bouillon and, you guessed it, butter. I like to put an over-easy fried egg on top. That's good eatin'.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

"Anyway, like I was sayin', grits is the fruit of the field..."

Well, sort of. Grits are traditionally made from hominy. About the only use for hominy I have, well grits and mesa, but others seem to love the stuff. A waste of good corn if you ask me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mostly.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ramjet38 said:

I've made what I call Johnny cakes.  Pour corbread batter like pancake in a frying pan and flip like you do a pancake.  It's also good to eat with sorgum molasses.

We call the Hoe cakes. There is supposed to be some slight difference in the biblical sense (cornmeal content), but today, they seem to be one in the same. Great for when you don't want a whole pan of cornbread too.

They go well with this. bc277c6d-5732-4df7-a10e-094cf3e1769c_1.7636b155263e561b0f2495bbb340f646.webp.33499c23a2d9628234f32e221d781090.webp

• Like 2

My mother used to fix sweet cornbread. I think it might have been the boxed stuff.

I prefer the wifes sugarless cornbread, and yes the butter to cornbread ratio should be near 50/50.

My wife also makes cornbread dressing on thanksgiving. I can't say that I am a fan of that, but I won't throw it out to the chickens either.

• Like 1