This Is A Sign

Eric

• Administrators
1 minute ago, jmohme said:

This is probably the sock and underwear drawer of the electrician that did that.

how-to-fold-socks-featured.jpeg.85559743b541f0ff2aa82e5e2d2b94d4.jpeg

My drawers were never drawered with that kind of precision when I was getting ready for a barracks inspection in the Army.

• Like 1

• Administrators

44D41E50-A016-4988-AD0E-09287DB8934D.jpeg

The passenger steamer SS Warrimoo was quietly knifing its way through the waters of the mid-Pacific on its way from Vancouver to Australia. The navigator had just finished working out a star fix and brought Captain John DS. Phillips, the result. The Warrimoo's position was LAT 0º 31' N and LONG 179 30' W. The date was 31 December 1899. "Know what this means?" First Mate Payton broke in, "We're only a few miles from the intersection of the Equator and the International Date Line". Captain Phillips was prankish enough to take full advantage of the opportunity for achieving the navigational freak of a lifetime.
He called his navigators to the bridge to check & double check the ship's position. He changed course slightly so as to bear directly on his mark. Then he adjusted the engine speed.
The calm weather & clear night worked in his favor. At mid-night the SS Warrimoo lay on the Equator at exactly the point where it crossed the International Date Line! The consequences of this bizarre position were many:
The forward part (bow) of the ship was in the Southern Hemisphere & in the middle of summer.
The rear (stern) was in the Northern Hemisphere & in the middle of winter.
The date in the aft part of the ship was 31 December 1899.
In the bow (forward) part it was 1 January 1900.
This ship was therefore not only in:
Two different days,
Two different months,
Two different years,
Two different seasons
But in two different centuries - all at the same time!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I’m surprised someone didn’t try that again. They could have been in two millennia as well. 

Maybe they tried it, but the strain tore them apart.

• Like 2

We had to keep underneath the false-floors clean-room spotless, with shop-vacs, but we had to run extension cords across the parking lots, from different buildings, because the boss said their motors would impart too much noise into the switch communications (causing pissed-off engineers).

I was pretty good at crawling under floors all day. And have been in cabling-avalanches in the ceilings (they're really very dangerous).

So, when one cable was determined to be bad (some of these buildings were 1/4 mile long), someone had to crawl up there and chase it.

You'd start with this end, and it would immediately disappear under 20' of thousands of pounds of cable.

We'd just cut the ends and run a new one.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Eric said:

of a profoundly disturbed mind. I'd go check the freezers and crawlspaces at his house. Doubtless the bodies will be well organized.

361857657_10101884906955268_2783636986434968103_n.jpg

Neatness counts...I like it....(I'm surprised that each wire doesn't have a label indicating what it is   :shoot-me: )

• Like 3

Back when I worked for a living I hired an old retired Southern Bell / BellSouth / AT&T installer to manage our phone system (which he had installed in the 90s while he was at AT&T). He told me the story of his buddy Eddie, who wired phone looms to look like that. Problem was when you're tracing out a wire it helps to be able to pull it a little so you can see where it goes. Eddie had taken all the slack out of the wiring so it didn't move. Lotta buzzin' going on. Looked great, though. ;).

8 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

We weren't allowed to use zip-ties, only waxed cord.

I learned, ad nauseam, several knots, that I still frequently use.

Zip ties compress cabling insulations (causing ghosts) and crush optical fiber (causing pissed-off engineers).

Used the waxed cord for many years, finally shrink tubing and zips ties took over but you had to use a special tool for the zip ties that applied the correct tension and cut the tie so there was to sharp edge to cut someone in the future.  In fact I have two rolls of the waxed cord, one white and one brown that I saved, good stuff for all sorts of things.