RIPPERS Hot Dogs

DAKA

Anyone ever have one of these...

Deep fried HOTDOG wrapped with BACON 

Sounds like a HEART ATTACK on a plate

Ripper
Variety of hot dog served in New Jersey

Ripper is the slang term for a type of hot dog. The name derives from a hot dog which is deep fried in oil, which sometimes causes the casing to burst, or "rip". "Rippers" were featured in the Travel Channel special "Hot Dog Heaven" and served as a major plot point in a first-season episode ... Wikipedia
  • Like 1

Many, many years ago I worked as a restaurant manager, and we served the "SuperDog". A footlong dog with bacon, cheese and chili. You could also get it with all the condiments you wanted, onions mustard, relish, ketchup, etc.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:39 AM, DAKA said:

Anyone ever have one of these...

Deep fried HOTDOG wrapped with BACON 

Sounds like a HEART ATTACK on a plate

Ripper
Variety of hot dog served in New Jersey

Ripper is the slang term for a type of hot dog. The name derives from a hot dog which is deep fried in oil, which sometimes causes the casing to burst, or "rip". "Rippers" were featured in the Travel Channel special "Hot Dog Heaven" and served as a major plot point in a first-season episode ... Wikipedia

Fogedaboutit. You ain't getting off this rock alive anyway. Live a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite, and in my opinion the best, hot dogs are Pink's chili dogs which unfortunately can only be found in two locations in the entire world. One, the original, is in Hollywood on the corner of Melrose and La Brea open 24 hours and has been there since 1941. The other location is in Las Vegas. The L.A. location is in a fairly safe part of town with fairly adequate parking. What makes these hot dogs the best in the world is they have the natural casings on them and are steamed, not boiled, and SNAP when you bite into them. The buns are also steamed and they re normally served with mustard, onions and chili but you can order them any any way tou like. I like to order mine with mustard onions, chili, and sauerkraut.

Another really great hot dog. also only found in Hollywood and parts of L.A. is Oki-dog, named that way because the original owners of the first hot dog stand were Okinawan and one of the first hot dog stand was across the street from an Okinawan nursery. An Oki-dog consists of two hot dogs, two strips of pastrami,  Chili, and American cheese wrapped in a flour tortilla like a burrito. The hot dogs and the chili are nowhere as good as Pinks, but the combination of hot dogs, pastrami, chili and Cheese is really good.

There used to be 3 Oki-dog locations on the L.A. area and one location was a popular rock and roll and punk rock hangout and eventually became a gang hangout and was closed down. The location next to the nursery is on Fairfax Blvd near Santa Monica blvd and is the safest location to visit with plenty of parking. There is another location on Pico Boulevard that's still there but that part of town is probably pretty sketchy these days.

Here's a story about the Oki-dog location that got closed down:

https://thetakeout.com/we-ll-see-you-all-at-oki-dogs-the-story-of-l-a-s-le-1846561092

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, tous said:

Lemme think on that a bit.

Meat packing.

Chicago,

Yeah, that'll be safe and wholesome.

:biggrin:

My father was an Illinois Farmer, transplanted.  When a little tyke, I asked him what was in "hot dogs" that he was so opposed to them.  He said, "Lips and Tits".

• Like 3

I have eaten both, as well as real Scottish haggis and some poutine thrown in.  :eat:

The only food I just don't care for is liver -- from any animal.

Except in haggis, where you can't really distinguish the liver  from the intestines and lungs.

NB lung tissue as meat is why real haggis banned in the US and many countries.