Would You Shoot A Carjacker?

Biff

Would You Shoot A Carjacker?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Shoot A Carjacker?

• Yes
    • No
    • I’m not Sure
    • No, human life is more valuable than property.

Is a car worth defending with deadly force? That’s the question, would you shoot to kill or maim someone trying to take your car?

I would, and this is a question about values and beliefs. A carjacking is a step away from a home invasion to my mind. And if you won’t defend your car, it’s unlikely that you would defend your life and home.

image.jpeg.42d6bcf8b84df753c2e1aaf45670411a.jpeg

There is so much bad thinking in America now, and shooting to kill is one more messed up subject. But I will shoot an attacker, that’s the bottom line here. And a carjacking is violent, and you have to assume that the guy has a gun or knife, and will use it on you.

https://twitter.com/MrColionNoir/status/1484245995030519817

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

It really isn’t so much about the car but the actual or implied threat of serious injury or death posed by the would-be hijacker. 

It’s both, and when the time comes that you can’t drive through town,without the threat of a carjacking; then all is lost or it’s on it’s way to being lost. It happened in Philadelphia, but what is to stop it from happening in Louisville or Tampa? Nothing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

If the car was heading towards you and it was a definite threat, you may shoot to protect yourself or others.

If the car is going away from  you there is no legal standing.

At least that's the way the law reads in SC.

No, the guy is sticking you up for your car. He is in your face and ready to hurt you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Upon an immediate threat of bodily harm to me or one of my family I will shoot to stop an attack. 

I don't care what the purpose of the attack is.  Only that a real threat of immediate harm is made to me or a loved one.

It doesn't make any difference what the object of the attacker is, it's only important that a threat of bodily harm is made.

Damn right I believe this!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

You should never answer a question like that on the internet. It never goes away.

It can be defended in court with a jury trial, since a jury is made up of regular people, not judges and lawyers. No one wants to be held up, and that’s what a carjacking is, it’s a hold up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Upon an immediate threat of bodily harm to me or one of my family I will shoot to stop an attack. 

I don't care what the purpose of the attack is.  Only that a real threat of immediate harm is made to me or a loved one.

It doesn't make any difference what the object of the attacker is, it's only important that a threat of bodily harm is made.

Damn right I believe this!

Just now, janice6 said:

And my answer will never change.

Good! You have the right to own property and to defend yourself from violent thugs, using deadly force. I’m not just tossing out empty words here, I have used deadly force myself, and stood trial for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Biff said:

Good! You have the right to own property and to defend yourself from violent thugs, using deadly force. I’m not just tossing out empty words here, I have used deadly force myself, and stood trial for it.

I've been detained and questioned.  They had video, they wouldn't let me see.

I knew  the guy wasn't dead.  But he was still out there, jeeze, the next morning, bleeding profusely from the cranial area.

And i didn't even do it.  I just flung his drunken ass away from me.  He hit his own head into the cement planter / fire hydrant / curb, or whatever it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Biff said:

I don’t get it. Are you calling me an internet warrior?

You pretty much outed yourself as one by simply creating a thread like this.  I can't speak for other gun owners, but I myself don't EVER want to shoot someone unless it's the only option left.  Not just the fact of killing another human being, but also having to deal with state prosecutors calling me a murderer and wanting me hung at sunrise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

I've been detained and questioned.  They had video, they wouldn't let me see.

I knew  the guy wasn't dead.  But he was still out there, jeeze, the next morning, bleeding profusely from the cranial area.

And i didn't even do it.  I just flung his drunken ass away from me.  He hit his own head into the cement planter / fire hydrant / curb, or whatever it was.

I have been arrested twice, with one was being very serious, and I did the deed both times, and I was acquitted both times.

One was worse than what you did, and it took jury trials to get me exonerated.

And if the guy that you had to deal with was hurt, well it happens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maser said:

You pretty much outed yourself as one by simply creating a thread like this.  I can't speak for other gun owners, but I myself don't EVER want to shoot someone unless it's the only option left.  Not just the fact of killing another human being, but also having to deal with state prosecutors calling me a murderer and wanting me hung at sunrise.  

You’re not even paying attention to what is going on in America, you want life to be something innocuous, and it isn’t.
Life can be dangerous, and it can happen right before your unbelieving eyes.

• Thanks 1

Would I want to?
No.

If the circumstances called for it would I?
Possibly.

Do I feel bad for carjackers that get shot while committing the crime?
Nope, not at all.  They made the decision that stealing the car was worth more than their life.
I feel bad for anyone that's forced to shoot the carjackers, as that can be a lot of mental anguish and years of therapy to cope with it.

Anyone that's eager to get the opportunity to shoot a carjacker needs to do some self examination.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Would I want to?
No.

If the circumstances called for it would I?
Possibly.

Do I feel bad for carjackers that get shot while committing the crime?
Nope, not at all.  They made the decision that stealing the car was worth more than their life.
I feel bad for anyone that's forced to shoot the carjackers, as that can be a lot of mental anguish and years of therapy to cope with it.

Anyone that's eager to get the opportunity to shoot a carjacker needs to do some self examination.

Very few people are bloodthirsty and want to kill anyone else. But it’s the criminal that sets the rule in a carjacking. Would they be willing to shoot you for your car? Yes they would be, or they would not be taking it from you at gunpoint.

I sort of get what you are saying and I sort of don’t. Did you check “I’m not sure.” Because that’s an acceptable answer. It’s hard to shoot another person. And those that have, they end up in therapy a lot of the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff said:

Who do you know that is eager to shoot anyone at all? The question is, if a carjacker sticks a gun in your face, and try’s to hijack your car , would you shoot him? Yes or no.

No, the question was "would you shoot a carjacker"
Nothing in the question says there is a gun in my face.

To take or attempt to take (a motor vehicle) from another person by use of force or intimidation.

If they have a gun in my face, I'll probably do exactly what they say for as long as the gun is in my face.  

I've never been in that situation; the closest to that is it's own thread on here where I was attacked and just left the area rather than shoot the guy.

Carjackings aren't all the exact same situation every time.  Sometimes it calls for very proactive use of force in self defense; and others it calls for hitting the accelerator and just driving away.  

So I'll keep my answer with what it was, and that is "possibly"

As for the first part, I do know of people that would shoot other people if given an opportunity like this.  Not everyone is as fully "civilized" as society wants us to believe. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cougar_ml said:

No, the question was "would you shoot a carjacker"
Nothing in the question says there is a gun in my face.

To take or attempt to take (a motor vehicle) from another person by use of force or intimidation.

If they have a gun in my face, I'll probably do exactly what they say for as long as the gun is in my face.  

I've never been in that situation; the closest to that is it's own thread on here where I was attacked and just left the area rather than shoot the guy.

Carjackings aren't all the exact same situation every time.  Sometimes it calls for very proactive use of force in self defense; and others it calls for hitting the accelerator and just driving away.  

So I'll keep my answer with what it was, and that is "possibly"

As for the first part, I do know of people that would shoot other people if given an opportunity like this.  Not everyone is as fully "civilized" as society wants us to believe. 

There is an implied use of violence during a carjacking, whether a weapon is presented or not. Are you telling me that if he doesn’t present a gun, it’s not an act of violence? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Biff said:

There is an implied use of violence during a carjacking, whether a weapon is presented or not. Are you telling me that if he doesn’t present a gun, it’s not an act of violence? 

of course, we should just automatically shoot anyone that gives the possible implication of violence, as soon as possible, whether they are physically capable of carrying out that action or not.

Someone taps on my car window with a knife when I'm inside and the door is locked, they are threatening me with violence, and I might be within legal rights to shoot them, but it would be easier and safer for me to just put the car in drive and peel out of there is possible.

That's just one possible scenario.  There are literally hundreds of variations where a person might be presented with the threat of violence but the person doing the threatening is not able to immediately carry through with the threat, presenting plenty of opportunity to escape the situation.

I refuse to accept that shooting the aggressor should be the first and immediate response in every possible carjacking scenario.

A carjacker is a description used after the fact. If an unexpected stranger is taking control of me and/or my vehicle, I don't know WTF the person(s) are. Later the law enforcement may label them carjackers, confused people, or murderers. In the Corrections Department we were taught to think "I'd rather be tried for your murder than you tried for murdering me."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Biff said:

You’re not even paying attention to what is going on in America, you want life to be something innocuous, and it isn’t.
Life can be dangerous, and it can happen right before your unbelieving eyes.

You're telling me life can be dangerous?  I was roughed up a bit in Juvenile Hall when I was 12.  Got shot at by a rival gang of the people I was hanging out with when I was 13.  At 14 or 15 I was jumped and don't remember any of it due to being knocked out.  So yeah, I think I'm aware life is dangerous. 

You've only been here since October so I don't know anything about you or your posting habits here and too lazy to look over all your posts.  I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you had a legit concern about carjackings and are not just trolling.  Let's start with the cost of an average car which is about $20,000-$30,000 new.   Guess how much it costs for a good criminal defense council to represent you when the state inevitably prosecutes you for murder?  You're looking at $100,000 MINIMUM! And that's not even counting the cost of bail.  If your ISP gets subpoenaed and you participate in threads such as this talking about how you would or wanna shoot a carjacker, do you think that's gonna help your case for self-defense?  Trying to be a tough guy Rambo wannabe won't get you anywhere with the state.  Just look what happened to Michael Drejka.

And yes, sadly there are too many people in the gun community that actually want to shoot and kill someone and they talk about it all the time.  They will be spending the rest of their lives in prison if/when they act on their fantasy because all the stupid **** they've said over the years on the net will still be available to use against them. 

• Like 1