WOW!

gwalchmai

I just got hearing aids at the VA, and it's a life changing experience! I was diagnosed with a mild service-related hearing loss when I separated in 81 but I didn't consider it worth pursuing. It's gotten progressively worse over the years as I've moved into decrepitude, and last fall I went to the VA and had my ears checked. They agreed that it was bad enough to warrant hearing aids and today the angel audiologist hooked me up! 

It's like a whole new world! I can even see better. These things even bluetooth into my phone and act as earbuds, while still working as hearing aids. But the best part is that I can hear like I could when I was 10! :dancingteddy:

• Like 14

i HAVE HEARING AIDS. I don't wear them!

I kinda' like the quiet......and besides  I'VE HEAR IT ALL BEFORE.....................And furthermore I don't  G. A S.\\

I don't give a ****, I don;t take any ****......I'M NOT IN THE **** BUSINESS   :anim_rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I was shooting since around 9 or 10 years old, then got into Ham Radio very young and wore earphones with high volume to decode weak signals in the noise.

It took my three tries to get into the Navy as a Radioman when I was 17/18, but they finally took me 'cause they needed Radiomen so bad.

My hearing is shot in one ear and almost gone in the other.  I have a hearing aide in the one ear.  It broke a short while ago and they found a part to fix it.  It's really old. 

They set up two aides for me and asked how I could hear?  They did help somewhat.  I asked what they cost and was told $9,000 plus change.

I don't have any insurance coverage for hearing aides so I would have to pay out of pocket for them.  I told them no.

They asked me how much it's worth to hear.  I said It I had that much money to piss away, I would spend it on a really nice gift for my wife.  I said I would get more enjoyment from seeing my wife happy.

I told them after all these years I felt that if I missed something my wife would tell me and if she didn't, I didn't need to know it.

I read her lips so easily.  We have had this "hearing" relationship for so many years it's normal for us.

Part of my present hearing aide fell off so I think it will be dirtied up enough soon that I will get something.  I heard that Cosco has aides for around $1300 so I may look into those.  Meanwhile, I will hope they become cheaper.  If they don't, no loss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

I heard that Cosco has aides for around $1300 so I may look into those.  Meanwhile, I will hope they become cheaper.  If they don't, no loss.

I got my hearing aids at Costco couple years ago and been quite pleased.  New technology has really improved they and as the OP mentioned, they have loads of features beside just helping with the hearing.  Depending on your requirements they have several different devices.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE - Day 5: I've gotten used to the feeling of the buds in my ears now and I only notice them if I think about it. I charge them overnight (actually takes about an hour to full charge) and wear them from when I get up (~6AM) until bedtime (10-11PM). I haven't gotten a low battery warning yet. I set the "ambient volume" to two clicks down from default, and I can hear everything, including my wrist popping, feet dragging, pants swishing, etc. The doctor of sound said I'll eventually filter out the extraneous noise. I ain't complaining. One thing, these are without a doubt the best earbuds I've ever seen heard. Considering their retail price I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but music is unbelievable. :greensupergrin: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

UPDATE - Day 5: I've gotten used to the feeling of the buds in my ears now and I only notice them if I think about it. I charge them overnight (actually takes about an hour to full charge) and wear them from when I get up (~6AM) until bedtime (10-11PM). I haven't gotten a low battery warning yet. I set the "ambient volume" to two clicks down from default, and I can hear everything, including my wrist popping, feet dragging, pants swishing, etc. The doctor of sound said I'll eventually filter out the extraneous noise. I ain't complaining. One thing, these are without a doubt the best earbuds I've ever seen heard. Considering their retail price I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but music is unbelievable. :greensupergrin: 

Sounds great and your doing the right thing by wearing them all day.  To many people tend to only wear them part of the time and never get used to them.   I put mine in the morning and only take out at bed time.  At first flushing the toilet will sound like Niagara falls, but as time passes you adjust.  At first I though using an app on the phone to adjust them was neat but I rarely use that now and seldom tinker with them.

• Thanks 1