Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

There is a story that in April 1890, two cowboys in Arizona killed a giant birdlike creature with an enormous wingspan. It was said to have had smooth skin, featherless wings like a bat and a face that resembled an alligator. This description has some similarity to that of a prehistoric pterodactyl; an animal whose existence was known at the time. They are supposed to have dragged the carcass back to town, where it was pinned with wings outstretched across the entire length of a barn.
A picture of this event may have been published in the local newspaper, the Tombstone Epitaph. There is also an account of this story with the events taking place in the state of Texas.
In the May 1963 issue of Saga magazine, writer Jack Pearl recounted this story of the Tombstone Thunderbird, along with some large bird sightings of the early 1960's. Not only did he tell the story though, he went one step further and claimed that the Tombstone Epitaph had, in 1886, "published a photograph of a huge bird nailed to a wall. The newspaper said that it had been shot by two prospectors and hauled into town by wagon. Lined up in front of the bird were six grown men with their arms outstretched, fingertip to fingertip. The creature measured about 36 feet from wingtip to wingtip."
While this is a different variation of the story (and size of the creature), it seems to be referring to the same incident. Was this nothing more than a mythic legend of the west, or was there something to the story after all?
In the September 1963 issue of FATE magazine, a correspondent to the magazine named H.M Cranmer would state that not only was the story true, but the photo was published and had appeared in newspapers all over America.
Cranmer would not be the only one who remembered the photo. Eminent researcher Ivan T. Sanderson also remembered seeing the photo and in fact, even claimed to have once had a photostat of it that he loaned to two associates, who lost it. The editors of Fate even came to believe that they may have published the photo in an earlier issue of the magazine but a search through back issues failed to reveal it.
The original Epitaph story about the capture of a large unusual winged creature was indeed printed on April 26, 1890 but it mentions no photograph. The Epitaph story was revived in a 1969 issue of Old West, further confusing the issue as to whether the photo was real or not.
Interestingly, this reprint caused a reader to remember another strange incident. He wrote to the magazine in the summer of 1970 and gave a firsthand account of a separate flying monster incident that also occurred near Tombstone. The writer had met two cowboys who told about seeing a similar creature around 1890, although they had shot at and chased the creature until their horses refused to go any further. This giant bird was not killed, brought to town or photographed. In fact, except for the fact that it was not shot down, their account sounds much closer to Bell's original report.
The Epitaph, however, stated that the photo did not exist, or if it did, it had not been in their newspaper. Responding to numerous inquiries, employees of the paper started a thorough search of back issues and files. They could find no such photo and even an extended search of other Arizona and California newspapers of the period produced no results. A number of articles that appeared in Pursuit, the journal for the Society for the Investigation of the Unexplained prompted a memory from W. Ritchie Benedict, who recalled seeing Ivan T. Sanderson himself display a copy of the photo on a Canadian television show "The Pierre Benton Show". Unfortunately though, no copies of the show have ever been found.
During the 1990's, the search for the "Thunderbird Photo" reached a point of obsession for those interested in the subject. A discussion of the matter stretched over several issues of Mark Chorvinsky's Strange magazine and readers who believed they had seen the photo cited sources that ranged from old books, to Western photograph collections, men's magazines, National Geographic and beyond. People combed through literally hundreds of issues of dusty copies of True and Saga to find nothing more than the previously mentioned article by Jack Pearl.
In the late 90's, Mothman Prophecies author John Keel insisted that "I know I saw it! And not only that, I compared notes with a lot of other people who saw it." Keel believes that he saw it in one of the men's magazines like Saga or True that were so popular in the 1960's. Most of these magazines dealt with amazing subject matter like Bigfoot, ghosts and more. Keel also remembers the photo in the same way that most do, with men wearing cowboy clothing and the bird looking like a pterodactyl or some prehistoric, winged creature. John Keel even said specifically that the creature did not look like a vulture with a hooked beak, as Sanderson's explanation had it. Keel said it had a long and pointed beak like a Pteranodon. This is quoted in such books as Jerome Clark's Unexplained.

I can’t remember where I found this old photo but it’s supposed to be “The Missing Thunderbird” photo. (LOL)

Pterodactyl - The Missing Thunderbird Photo - 1 - Library Of Congress Has Tombstone Epitaph Issue April 26, 1890 - Contains No Photo.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

There is a story that in April 1890, two cowboys in Arizona killed a giant birdlike creature with an enormous wingspan. It was said to have had smooth skin, featherless wings like a bat and a face that resembled an alligator. This description has some similarity to that of a prehistoric pterodactyl; an animal whose existence was known at the time. They are supposed to have dragged the carcass back to town, where it was pinned with wings outstretched across the entire length of a barn.
A picture of this event may have been published in the local newspaper, the Tombstone Epitaph. There is also an account of this story with the events taking place in the state of Texas.
In the May 1963 issue of Saga magazine, writer Jack Pearl recounted this story of the Tombstone Thunderbird, along with some large bird sightings of the early 1960's. Not only did he tell the story though, he went one step further and claimed that the Tombstone Epitaph had, in 1886, "published a photograph of a huge bird nailed to a wall. The newspaper said that it had been shot by two prospectors and hauled into town by wagon. Lined up in front of the bird were six grown men with their arms outstretched, fingertip to fingertip. The creature measured about 36 feet from wingtip to wingtip."
While this is a different variation of the story (and size of the creature), it seems to be referring to the same incident. Was this nothing more than a mythic legend of the west, or was there something to the story after all?
In the September 1963 issue of FATE magazine, a correspondent to the magazine named H.M Cranmer would state that not only was the story true, but the photo was published and had appeared in newspapers all over America.
Cranmer would not be the only one who remembered the photo. Eminent researcher Ivan T. Sanderson also remembered seeing the photo and in fact, even claimed to have once had a photostat of it that he loaned to two associates, who lost it. The editors of Fate even came to believe that they may have published the photo in an earlier issue of the magazine but a search through back issues failed to reveal it.
The original Epitaph story about the capture of a large unusual winged creature was indeed printed on April 26, 1890 but it mentions no photograph. The Epitaph story was revived in a 1969 issue of Old West, further confusing the issue as to whether the photo was real or not.
Interestingly, this reprint caused a reader to remember another strange incident. He wrote to the magazine in the summer of 1970 and gave a firsthand account of a separate flying monster incident that also occurred near Tombstone. The writer had met two cowboys who told about seeing a similar creature around 1890, although they had shot at and chased the creature until their horses refused to go any further. This giant bird was not killed, brought to town or photographed. In fact, except for the fact that it was not shot down, their account sounds much closer to Bell's original report.
The Epitaph, however, stated that the photo did not exist, or if it did, it had not been in their newspaper. Responding to numerous inquiries, employees of the paper started a thorough search of back issues and files. They could find no such photo and even an extended search of other Arizona and California newspapers of the period produced no results. A number of articles that appeared in Pursuit, the journal for the Society for the Investigation of the Unexplained prompted a memory from W. Ritchie Benedict, who recalled seeing Ivan T. Sanderson himself display a copy of the photo on a Canadian television show "The Pierre Benton Show". Unfortunately though, no copies of the show have ever been found.
During the 1990's, the search for the "Thunderbird Photo" reached a point of obsession for those interested in the subject. A discussion of the matter stretched over several issues of Mark Chorvinsky's Strange magazine and readers who believed they had seen the photo cited sources that ranged from old books, to Western photograph collections, men's magazines, National Geographic and beyond. People combed through literally hundreds of issues of dusty copies of True and Saga to find nothing more than the previously mentioned article by Jack Pearl.
In the late 90's, Mothman Prophecies author John Keel insisted that "I know I saw it! And not only that, I compared notes with a lot of other people who saw it." Keel believes that he saw it in one of the men's magazines like Saga or True that were so popular in the 1960's. Most of these magazines dealt with amazing subject matter like Bigfoot, ghosts and more. Keel also remembers the photo in the same way that most do, with men wearing cowboy clothing and the bird looking like a pterodactyl or some prehistoric, winged creature. John Keel even said specifically that the creature did not look like a vulture with a hooked beak, as Sanderson's explanation had it. Keel said it had a long and pointed beak like a Pteranodon. This is quoted in such books as Jerome Clark's Unexplained.

I can’t remember where I found this old photo but it’s supposed to be “The Missing Thunderbird” photo. (LOL)

Pterodactyl - The Missing Thunderbird Photo - 1 - Library Of Congress Has Tombstone Epitaph Issue April 26, 1890 - Contains No Photo.png

Pre PHOTOSHOP ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Pre PHOTOSHOP ?

Well, I'm sure the whole story is built around a bunch of hooey, I just posted it because of the long history it has and because of the unusual subject. Supposedly, that picture was taken in 1890. But nobody could find it until almost a century later if I remember right, so it's all up to the reader to decide. I thought the story was interesting. I have no clue as to the validity of the picture.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Well, I'm sure the whole story is built around a bunch of hooey, I just posted it because of the long history it has and because of the unusual subject. Supposedly, that picture was taken in 1890. But nobody could find it until almost a century later if I remember right, so it's all up to the reader to decide. I thought the story was interesting. I have no clue as to the validity of the picture.

Probably sold a lot of papers !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a guy ... after reading the question and seeing the "boob" answer, which is a premium answer, it took me a minute to come up with another word that would fit, being all preoccupied with 'boob' on the brain, as I was. I think the answer they were looking for was 'bib'. ROFL. And the artwork deserves some merit also. Give this dude an A.

School Work - Boob - Bibb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1