Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

14 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Interstate 40 (sometimes on Route 66 route) often stopped at one edge of town, detoured traffic through the town, then returned the traffic to the interstate. Many “wide spots” got extra years of life from this practice. I also saw this done near Wytheville VA. No doubt this was done elsewhere.  

I haven't traveled the eastern half of Route 66 but I know that these days I-40 bypasses several towns that have suffered from the loss of traffic. Back in the day, 40 might have done it similarly to Wytheville, in the west but not now. There were some towns that 40 went straight through and it either made the town or ruined it, depending on your POV, but several were destroyed or put in a state of suspension, dying slowly. And there were some towns that it would not have been logical to try to route the interstate through, such as Oatman, AZ. It is way off the beaten track. You have to really want to go to Oatman to go there.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The last beef steer I raised… unnamed…

F9DAA187-0B4A-4AAB-8D4F-20C647F80FE7.jpeg

Up until about two years ago when my health stopped me from really enjoying those things, we almost always had two different aged steers, a couple of pigs and a collection of chickens, ducks and turkeys. I really miss it but several of my friends around here still raise their own and I can usually get whatever meat I need, including venison, at cost + a small charge. I hate not being able any more but my friends have taken care of me and they know I'll help when butchering help is needed or help wrapping and cleaning up. It helps tremendously on the cost and you know everything that animal was fed which is worth a lot.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

No problems with eating named cows around here.

I think I still have a couple packages of ground beef my uncle gave me from their bull Romeo they slaughtered a couple years ago.

gotta replace the herd bull every couple years to keep from inbreeding.

Intellectually I understand the problem of inbreeding. Practically I wonder how much of an issue it really is when the offspring is neutered and becomes steaks within a couple years. Farmer down the road sells registered purebred Angus as breeding stock and I totally understand that situation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

No problems with eating named cows around here.

I think I still have a couple packages of ground beef my uncle gave me from their bull Romeo they slaughtered a couple years ago.

gotta replace the herd bull every couple years to keep from inbreeding.

My wife named every animal that has ever set foot on this place and it never stopped anyone from eating it BUT she would/could never have anything to do with the butchering. When I decided to slaughter something, I knew she didn't want to see it again until it was vacuum packed.

• Like 2

Issued by the Southern Tourism Bureau to All Visiting Northerners and Northeastern Urbanites:

1) Don't order filet mignon or pasta primavera at Waffle House. It's just a diner. They serve breakfast 24 hours a day. Let them cook something they know. If you confuse them, they'll kick your ass.

2) Don't laugh at our Southern names (Charlotte, Betty Sue, Bubba, Debra Lynn, Tammy Lou, Beth Ann, Inez, Billy Joe, Sissy, Leroy, etc.). Or we will just HAVE to kick your ass.  

3) Don't order a Pepsi or a can of Coke. Down here it's called soda. Nobody gives a flying damn whether it's Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up or whatever, it's still just a soda. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an ass kicking.

4) We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you e.g., Welty, Williams, Faulkner. We are just as educated and generally a lot nicer. Don't refer to us as a bunch of hillbillies, or we'll kick your ass.

5) Yes, we know how to speak proper English. We talk this way because we don't want to sound like you. We don't care if you don't understand what we are saying. All other Southerners understand what we are saying, and that's all that matters. Now, go away and leave us alone, or we'll kick your ass.

6) Don't laugh at our Civil War monuments. If you visit Stone Mountain and complain about the carving, the entire state of Georgia will kick your ass.  

7) We are fully aware of how high the humidity is, so shut the hell up. Just spend your money and get the hell out of here, or we'll kick your ass.

8) Don't order wheat toast at Cracker Barrel. Everyone will instantly know that you're a Yankee. Eat your biscuits like God intended, with gravy. And don't put sugar on your grits, or we'll kick your ass.

9) Don't fake a Southern accent. In addition to getting you verbally assaulted, this will incite a riot, and you will get your ass kicked.  

10) Don't talk about how much better things are at home because we know better. Many of us have visited Northern **** holes like Detroit, Chicago, and DC, and we have the visual scars to prove it. If you don't like it here, Delta is ready when you are. Carry your ass on home before it gets kicked.  

11) Don't complain that the South is dirty and polluted. None of OUR lakes or rivers have caught fire recently. If you whine about OUR scenic beauty, we'll kick your ass all the way back to Boston Harbor.

12) Don't ridicule our Southern manners. We say sir and ma'am. We hold doors open for others. We offer our seats to old folks because such things are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet little gray-haired grandmothers or they'll kick some manners into your ass just like they did ours.

13) So you think we're quaint or losers because most of us live in the countryside? That's because we have enough sense not to live in filthy, smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or Newark. Make fun of our fresh air, and we'll kick your ass.

14) Last, but not least, DON'T DARE come down here and tell us how to barbecue. You don’t even know the difference between BBQ and grilling’. This will get your ass shot (right after it is kicked). You're lucky we let you snowbirds come down here at all. Criticize our barbecue, and you will go home in a pine box, minus your ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1