Physics question

gwalchmai

When Brainiac shrank Kandor, did he shrink the space between the atoms or did he shrink the atoms themselves? And if he shrank the atoms, did he shrink the space between the subatomic particles or did he shrink the subatomic particles themselves? 

And how does Readers Digest condense novels? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Braniac used a special lens (like the mirrors that you see in a fun house).  You know the one's I'm talking about.  One mirror makes you look skinny and one makes you look fat.  But, not like in that 60's White Room song.  That was all about the impact of psychedelic drugs on perception.  Obviously, Braniac would have had difficulty getting such a drug evenly distributed and then the unintended consequences of everybody not having the same hallucination would be chaotic.

Of course, if he could have simply moved Kandor farther away, he could have created a similar illusion of shrinkage. 

I'll be starting a separate thread about how the use of the term "fun house" is at best a misnomer and more likely a violation of the truth in advertising statute.

27 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

I will be happy to explain it to you after you explain to me why 250 Million Year old Sea Salt has an expiration date on it.

May be an image of text that says 'Just my luck! I bought 250 Million year old Sea Salt that expired in 2019 20/2019'

:whistling:

GOVERNMENT REGULATION   Bottled water has a use by date also....doesn't it

Edited by DAKA
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, willie-pete said:

I will be happy to explain it to you after you explain to me why 250 Million Year old Sea Salt has an expiration date on it.

May be an image of text that says 'Just my luck! I bought 250 Million year old Sea Salt that expired in 2019 20/2019'

Again, it's a marketing ploy.  If they can get you to throw your salt away, then maybe they can get you to:

1. Buy more.
  2. Upgrade to a more expensive salt.
  3. Mortgage your house to help you buy a certain bridge in Brooklyn.
  4. Believe in Santa Claus.

:whistling:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

When Brainiac shrank Kandor, did he shrink the space between the atoms or did he shrink the atoms themselves? And if he shrank the atoms, did he shrink the space between the subatomic particles or did he shrink the subatomic particles themselves? 

And how does Readers Digest condense novels? 

In physics this is called doping.  You expand things by virtue of forcing something to expend by expanding the electromagnetic field. Usually by adding a free election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_(semiconductor)

I know someone who once expanded a sheet of metal slightly this way. 

Semiconductors | National Schools' Observatory

Edited by Historian