Last Time You Turned On Your TV

Eric

Cut cable TV in 2008. I watch movies and shows from my own server, mainly stuff from the 80s and 90s. But recently I have COPs on Pluto running (free streaming service) when I'm fixing food in the kitchen. Brings back memories.. I used to drink chocolate milk, eat chocolate chip cookies and watched criminals getting the boot up their ass back in the day. Fun times.

Today's TV shows, movies, ADs and news are a brainwashing ****-show. Not wasting any time or money on that liberal left wing crap.

Edited by crockett

Day and a half. Moved furniture and had the carpet cleaned in the family/TV room. I’m in living room with my wife. Listening to music and repairing a camera lens. She is stitching. I mostly use TVs as monitors for DVDs. 

There are other TVs in the house but they are seldom used. 

It’s been on all day.

I have grandkids here, so cartoons and animated movies rule the day.

Also, my son and his wife are here today, and he’s somewhat of a Christian religious scholar, and there was some history thing he wanted to see as he does research.

And, btw, I love commercials.  I graduated cum laude with a degree in marketing several years ago, and I love to pick them apart.  As an aside, my son is also involved with online sales and marketing, so keeping current is a big deal.

I know I’m against the grain here, but I love our TV.  Dollar for dollar, you can’t beat it.  We learn more, entertain more, and even laugh now and again than would be remotely possible otherwise.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, jame said:

It’s been on all day.

I have grandkids here, so cartoons and animated movies rule the day.

Also, my son and his wife are here today, and he’s somewhat of a Christian religious scholar, and there was some history thing he wanted to see as he does research.

And, btw, I love commercials.  I graduated cum laude with a degree in marketing several years ago, and I love to pick them apart.  As an aside, my son is also involved with online sales and marketing, so keeping current is a big deal.

I know I’m against the grain here, but I love our TV.  Dollar for dollar, you can’t beat it.  We learn more, entertain more, and even laugh now and again than would be remotely possible otherwise.

I don’t know. When the voices in my head are getting along, they are pretty funny. Of course, when they argue, they are downright hilarious. What good is insanity if it doesn’t keep you entertained?

Anyway, I have found less and less that engages me on TV for many years and things reached a tipping point for me a couple of years ago. I am sick of the social, racial and ideological propaganda that pervades every aspect of TV & movies any more. As for commercials today, one that I saw a few weeks ago epitomizes them all for me: That cop-hating, gangster wannabe scumbag Snoop Dogg telling me how I should buy a whistling doorbell to keep all those evil white thieves from stealing my packages and breaking into my car. I’ve had enough of this bullshit. I don’t think this is just me getting older and more crotchety either. It sickens me where this country and its culture is being dragged and I am tired of watching its progress. 

The few things on TV that still interest me can be had on a couple of streaming services. I want no part of the rest.

• Like 2

1 second ago.

I never watch it,  but it's always on.  I have to see a movie ten times to see it, because I'm never watching.

We have 200 channels.  I watch, like, four of them.

(TMC is the default)

(And South Park)

(That's all I watch)

(And Fargo series)

(But that's every two years)

(And I am disappoint)

I got the Shyamalan....   on dvd.  My dvd's beat tv.

I've seen Glass (the third one), on tv.  (but they surely cut a bunch out,  and I need to see the dvd)

I've seen bits and pieces of Split (the second one)

I watched 20 minutes of Unbreakable (the first one).

It's to die for.

16 minutes ago, Eric said:

I don’t know. When the voices in my head are getting along, they are pretty funny. Of course, when they argue, they are downright hilarious. What good is insanity if it doesn’t keep you entertained?

Anyway, I have found less and less that engages me on TV for many years and things reached a tipping point for me a couple of years ago. I am sick of the social, racial and ideological propaganda that pervades every aspect of TV & movies any more. As for commercials today, one that I saw a few weeks ago epitomizes them all for me: That cop-hating, gangster wannabe scumbag Snoop Dogg telling me how I should buy a whistling doorbell to keep all those evil white thieves from stealing my packages and breaking into my car. I’ve had enough of this bullshit. I don’t think this is just me getting older and more crotchety either. It sickens me where this country and its culture is being dragged and I am tired of watching its progress. 

The few things on TV that still interest me can be had on a couple of streaming services. I want no part of the rest.

To each their own, I guess.

Between local news and weather, history, cooking (Thank you Alton Brown!), a decent sitcom or TV show thrown in, keeps us entertained.

It’s all about balance, I guess.  I have a wide range of hobbies including ham radio, metal detecting, gardening, bird feeding, as well as a few other diversions.  I work out for an hour five nights per week, grab a light snack for supper, a couple of beers for the local news and stream a little Discovery+, and it’s off to bed.

I’ve also had opportunity to read some (David McCullough is my personal favorite, and I’ve been cover to cover on the Bible twice).

Again, balance.  Things I avoid:  National news outlets including the likes of CNN, MSNBC, FOX, Blaze, CBS, etc. as well as any and all talk shows. Those channels will tank me faster than anything running.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eric said:

I had the exact same allergic reaction when I saw that ad the first time. I think I left a couple matching "reviews" and comments on Google maps and YouTube. I bet both was long (shadow) banned.

Needless to say, that low IQ commercial is a great match for the target group.

--

Most will know this but I'll link it anyways: if you watch YouTube videos, install this AD blocker. It removes ALL commercials from all YouTube videos. Banners and ADs.

https://adblockplus.org/

• Like 1

For me, NO COMMERCIAL TV NO NEWS. I watch Netflix  series and movies,  Watched the TERMINAL with Tom Hanks last night.......   good movie

One of my sons has a collection of 1000's (?) of movies categorized every witch way, I will watch old movies

Waiting for the next season of YELLOWSTONE

MrsDaka watches FOX etc, makes me crazy..

• Like 2

We use it 3-4x a week for 30 minute Great Courses videos for the last kid I'm still homeschooling.  Other than that, I can't remember the last time I turned it on.  My oldest daughter and my husband hook their phones up to it some evenings so they can watch the second season of Mushi with subtitles (not available in English yet).  Youngest daughter still uses it to watch whatever movies we have on DVD (we still have a player).  But mostly none of us can stand what passes for tv shows these days, so we just don't watch much.

22 hours ago, jame said:

J school editing.

Did you do a business track?  Or come out of a journalism program?

10 hours ago, Historian said:

J school editing.

Did you do a business track?  Or come out of a journalism program?

Yep, I was on the list of upcoming execs with International Paper way back then.

Now I work with my daughter and son in law in their burgeoning towing and recovery business.  Times and kids can really change a guys priorities.

5 hours ago, jame said:

Yep, I was on the list of upcoming execs with International Paper way back then.

Now I work with my daughter and son in law in their burgeoning towing and recovery business.  Times and kids can really change a guys priorities.

How interesting. 

I never worked more that part-time as a journalist.  But did so for almost 10 years.    

Never made a real living at it.   But had a good time putting a newspaper together.

Kids....well that does change everything.

Happy Father's day, Jame!

• Like 1