Have You Ever…

Eric

My wife’s new truck didn’t fit in the garage with the shelving where it was. I just finished unloading, moving and reloading them so the truck fits. Not standard garage shelving. 10 foot tall industrial crap.

My back is killing me. Arthritis and A.S. sure make it worse. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Just moved a few 50 pound sacks of dry mix concrete from one truck to another. No hernia, but I was again reminded of how much heavier those seem than 50 pound sacks of animal feed.

I’ve got 150 #80 sacks to pour next month. Sucks not being 18 anymore. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I’ve got 150 #80 sacks to pour next month. Sucks not being 18 anymore. 

I can relate. We're starting the patio next to new deck on Saturday. I had the gravel and sand delivered yesterday (but there is no way to get that truck to the back yard, so the piles are 200 yards away from where they need to be, so I'll be shoveling and garden carting all weekend)... and then we get to start mixing concrete... at least I have a little mixer now, instead of doing it in an old wheelbarrow... (I am too beat up for this job, my right shoulder hates me... according to my oldest child, I should have had way more children than I did, for her to divide these jobs and chores with, lol).  She's right.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In high school,  I worked a full week carrying packs of shingles up ladders,  onto the roofs.  And you couldn't just dump them,  you had to open the bale and spread them out, so the nailers could just go whack-whack-whack.

So then we all quit.  Because it sucked.  And our friend's dad said he would never hire us again.

I helped my sister's boyfriend drive his construction supply truck (windows, doors, shingles, washers, dryers, drywall, brick....)

He once showed me how to carry a refrigerator, still in the box,  with the top-flat tab on in.

"Here.  Put your butt here.  Grab the top-flap, and lean forward. Follow me."

Yeah.  The 'fridge weighed twice as much as me.

I wasn't a very good trucker.

We covered a tri-state area.

And because he was, sometimes, drunk,  I learned how to drive a box truck.

One time,  200 miles away,  the transmission got stuck in low-low

So we drove back at 25mph.  For 10 hours.

They paid me.

And then I got fired.  They didn't fire him,  but it was pretty close.

• Administrators

After I got out of the Army, I went to computer school during the day and worked for a while in the evenings, loading trailers for UPS. One guy would fill about one trailer per shift. That is a hell of a lot of cargo. All in all, it was a good job though. Time passed quickly and the pay was pretty good. Cheaper than a gym membership. 

We once had gutters in the top special-racks,  in the box truck,  where they put gutters.

It was a long rack,  and a long truck.

When we were unloading the gutters,  the guy "unrolled" an armful off the rack at his end. And they unrolled, round and around.

I was standing at the other end, and by the time the unrolling-unrolling-unrolling caught up to my end,  the whole stack did a whirling SPIN!,  and blew off a blender of jagged metal,  that ripped most of my neck out.  Like, Freddy Kruger.  Jason.  The blood was impressive.

We showed the trucking company, and they said I should be fired.

We showed Mom,  and she hated my sister's boyfriend more.

We were once in dahntahn Pittsburgh in a traffic jam.

So,  Jerry said, "**** this!"  and he whipped into an alley,  at 40mph (he was cheesed-off).

He knew his routes,  it was all good.

And blowing through this alley,  some fire-escape ladder hung down, a "bit" too much.. At 40mph.  The box caught it.

**** went "crunch",  the front of the truck actually picked up, and knocked us into a wall.

Vendors ran out out, screaming,  for ******* up their alley,  and crashing the fire escape.

So he burned out,  and we never went back to that alley.

But the top of the truck was peeled back like a tuna can.

We spent an hour,  I didn't know this trucker part,  I guess that's just what they do,  stompping all on the roof, to crush it all down,  just enough so the dispatcher doesn't notice it,  when you return the truck.

I think we got away with that one.

The most mind numbing job i ever had was as a file clerk.     Paper would go in.  I would file it.  More paper came in...I would file it.   It was 40 hours a week of file it.

It was bad enough i toyed with joining the French Foreign Legion.

Became a cop instead.

But the rural county I worked might as well have been East-Butt-Crack South Africa.

I remember the guy who did my background said, "What the hell, son?!   You got two college degrees...why the hell do you want to work for us?"

I told him i needed beer money and cash to take my girl out to dinner.

Edited by Historian

On 6/19/2021 at 2:12 AM, Huaco Kid said:

In high school,  I worked a full week carrying packs of shingles up ladders,  onto the roofs.  And you couldn't just dump them,  you had to open the bale and spread them out, so the nailers could just go whack-whack-whack.

Did that for one summer.   By the end of summer my body stopped hurting.   I wondered if i was in shape or had just lost feeling.   Regardless, I was likely in the best shape of my life (or near it).

That is miserable work.