Resume padding?

Sparks

I'm looking for a new job, so I'm in the middle of updating my resume, LinkedIn account, etc.  As i'm working on this, I've looked at the accounts of several of my coworker's profiles.  It's crazy how much they lie on their accomplishments and skills.  Like page after page of stuff they can't do and have never done.  I swear some of them list walking on water, then turning it into wine as part of their resumes.  

If I just put down that I can turn, mill, and grind any part you need, my resume looks like I've never done much, even tho I can machine circles around my peers.  Hell, my job is basically fixing the parts that they screw up.  

This job searching is scary stuff!  

• Like 4

The entry level people just say they are seasoned and skilled, and the hr person can't tell the difference.

The people doing the hiring are just as dishonest and unknowledgeable as the people looking to be hired.  It's like the system is based completely on bullshit.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sparks said:

The entry level people just say they are seasoned and skilled, and the hr person can't tell the difference.

The people doing the hiring are just as dishonest and unknowledgeable as the people looking to be hired.  It's like the system is based completely on bull****.  

I think it is:  The HR people where i work, as in many areas, look for key words as they are not subject mater experts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have a job where I go to many manufacturing customers and there are few people at any of them that can find their ass with both hands and a roadmap.  Competent people could learn most peoples jobs in a week.  The problem is there aren't many competent people.

Put some BS in your resume to get past HR and then come clean to the interviewer that you would actually work for.

It seems like most of the job descriptions are based on the guy that just left the job.  15 years of running a thompson and jones 10' paper shear etc

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sparks said:

I'm looking for a new job, so I'm in the middle of updating my resume, LinkedIn account, etc.  As i'm working on this, I've looked at the accounts of several of my coworker's profiles.  It's crazy how much they lie on their accomplishments and skills.  Like page after page of stuff they can't do and have never done.  I swear some of them list walking on water, then turning it into wine as part of their resumes.  

If I just put down that I can turn, mill, and grind any part you need, my resume looks like I've never done much, even tho I can machine circles around my peers.  Hell, my job is basically fixing the parts that they screw up.  

This job searching is scary stuff!  

My only advice is...If You KNOW you can do the job, you've done it. It's never failed me. 

Ya just better be able to back it up.   No one toots your horn better than You do.  You sound like a "Tradesman".  You'll Never be without work.  The "Job" you find, will depend on how you market yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tried to hire a new programmer a few years back, tried 4, all fired within a couple months. They too lied with no end in sight. All of them caused major delays, never meeting a milestone in time, creating more bugs with every "fix", shortcutting by hardcoding, lying about future time frames, you name it.

I think our entire society is turning into a bunch of wishiwashi beta males. And don't get me started on all those bullshit art degrees.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Sparks said:

The people doing the hiring are just as dishonest and unknowledgeable as the people looking to be hired.  It's like the system is based completely on bull****.  

Hiring is a bitch. I pay $25 an hour and can't get 4 guys to clock 120 a week.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Odd? Pay for entry level get expert work. Why wouldn’t they try this?

Because there's a problem if someone with that level of skill is willing to work for 20 to 30 thousand dollars are year less than they could make.

Usually, they work for us for two to four years and move on...for exactly this reason.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

Hiring is a bitch. I pay $25 an hour and can't get 4 guys to clock 120 a week.

Ive been on both sides of this too.

Being hired and hiring.   One of the key elements I've found over the years is not be be afraid to higher under your needs...with the idea you can train and onboard the person for the position.  

Now obviously this has be done with reason.   You can't turn a turnip into an orange. 

But I played a big role in  hiring a guy about five years ago.   I based it on ability to learn, a proven track record, and personality.  

He was a fantastic choice for the team...and has more than met our expectations.

He just needed a chance.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

i think it is because people generally leave a job because they don't feel good about themselves or the Position they are in and need to feel better and more Accomplished and not like they wasted the time they had at the last Employer by going along to get along.

and adding Craziness to your Resume is an easy way to build confidence and Motivation.

the Hiring Process is about Face to Face interaction, Instinct and Intuition.

more pieces of paper shouldn't mean **** in Hiring an Employee, it shouldn't mean they do or don't get an Interview.

it shouldn't be used as a means to Conserve HR`s precious time by weeding out anyone.

i Hired a guy that wasn't a Paper Mechanic, he was overlooked by everyone and turned out to be a Foundation of a Business that lasted Years.

was the Best Tech, Great Mechanic and a Hugely Reliable Employee.

desperate times and desperate measures plays a part now a days.

Good luck in the Hunt.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

more pieces of paper shouldn't mean **** in Hiring an Employee, it shouldn't mean they do or don't get an Interview

And this is why so many good people don't get a chance to interview.   

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 9:13 PM, Historian said:

I think it is:  The HR people where i work, as in many areas, look for key words as they are not subject mater experts.

Try dealing with Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant recruiters who have no medical background. You nailed it- they look for key words in CVs. They load me up interviewing people who barely have a grasp of the English language, but had a professional resume-writer work magic. And these days, "He no speaka de English" isn't a valid reason to toss out a resume.

Hell, my CV fits on 2 pages. And that includes 2 tech schools, 3 degrees, 2 professional certifications, and 25 years of progressive experience in my field. 

6 hours ago, tadbart said:

Try dealing with Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant recruiters who have no medical background. You nailed it- they look for key words in CVs. They load me up interviewing people who barely have a grasp of the English language, but had a professional resume-writer work magic. And these days, "He no speaka de English" isn't a valid reason to toss out a resume.

Hell, my CV fits on 2 pages. And that includes 2 tech schools, 3 degrees, 2 professional certifications, and 25 years of progressive experience in my field. 

Two pages here as well. Four universities, four degrees, about a dozen professional certifications, 25 years or so of progressive experience, etc.

At this point you have to fill the application with every buzz word and hope for the best.

• Thanks 1