A1 on a good steak?

Sparks

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 10:55 AM, Peng said:

I like Ketchup on my steak.

You need to understand the basic difference difference between a steak, a Hamburger, and a hot dog. A steak, unlike hamburgers and hot dogs,  is eaten by itself and needs only to be properly cooked (never overcooked) and properly seasoned. It also needs to be a good cut of meat. and it's more expensive than hamburgers and hot dogs and that's why you you don't want to ruin the flavor of a good steak. The only exception is people who like their steaks well done, because they've already cooked all the flavor out of it, and they might as well add something to give it back some flavor after they've already ruined it.

A hamburger, while it's made from beef, does not need to be premium beef and there is more leeway as to how it's cooked because the taste of the meat is less critical owing to the fact that it's served with other ingredients and condiments, the more the better.

And Ketchup is good on hamburgers. Not so much on hot dogs but a combination of ketchup and mustard is not bad.  Traditionally however, ketchup is for hamburgers and mustard is for hot dogs

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2021 at 8:08 AM, Spats McGee said:

A good steak needs little or no sauce.  Medium rare, with maybe a little butter, or a melty herb cheese.  I've known folks who like their steaks well done, and/or drowned in steak sauce.  I consider either to be blasphemy.

If you do that in Texas, you will be politely asked to leave the state.

If a steak requires  a steak sauce to make it palatable, it wasn't worth butchering the cow it came off of.

:cowboy2:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I get hungry every time I see the thread title.  A1 was the only thing that made my mom's cooking palatable.  That woman could reduce a good steak to shoe leather.

As for meatloaf, I'll cut myself off a slice and make a really good sandwich (every time). 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I grew up in a household where red meat was cooked well done or it was considered raw.  I've had arguments with family members over a well done burger that was grey throughout, but still had juice coming out of it, because they said it was undercooked. A1 or heinz 57 was a necessity. Now that I'm grown and know better, I prefer medium rare with only the juice that comes out of the steak and the melted butter I put on after the flip.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 5/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, crockett said:

Proper burger would be also ruined with A1. Just sayin.

The 25 Best Burgers In Denmark – Big 7 Travel Guide

I finally have my cholesterol under control. I wonder what that would do to it? Whatever the damage, it would be worth it.

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

I finally have my cholesterol under control. I wonder what that would do to it? Whatever the damage, it would be worth it.

Never got my cholesterol tested. I hate bad news. When it comes to food and exercise I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Cut my finger last week and was surprised to see blood. I was expecting grease.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1