A1 on a good steak?

Sparks

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

If'n I can't find a splash of heavy cream, it just needs to be black. The hotter the better. I prefer the darker more robust roasts as well.

As I understand it, the darker the roast, the less caffeine it has. IDK if it’s true, but it seem so preposterous, that it might could be possible. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

That stuff is really sweet. Too sweet.

Hinze 57 pre reformulated, if you are old enough to remember was very good. It is hot garbage now days. Another "New and Improved" that wasn't.

yeah, but i kinda like that sweet tang to it.

i char my Steak on the Outside and its still Mooing in the middle so it adds another layer of Flavor.

normally i dice Garlicc add a stick of butter and sprig of Rosemary and call it done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peng said:

I like Ketchup on my steak.

My dad used to give one of his buddies a whole raft of crap for putting ketchup on his steak.

One time (when I was really little) I asked him why he did it.  He said, "Because it's good."  That made sense to me, so I tried it.  It was good.  Later I tried A1 on a steak; even better.

My conclusion?  If all of these sauces make steak taste so good, you are mostly tasting the sauce.

AND, here comes the sacrilege, why not just eat something cheaper and lower in cholesterol with ketchup, or A1 (like chicken)?  :bringit:

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, NPTim said:

As I understand it, the darker the roast, the less caffeine it has. IDK if it’s true, but it seem so preposterous, that it might could be possible. 

Yes, the heat cycle will cook the caffeine out. Some Espresso roasts retain it somehow. Not sure the process, but that is my understanding, even though those are a very dark roast..

17 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

AND, here comes the sacrilege, why not just eat something cheaper and lower in cholesterol with ketchup, or A1 (like chicken)?  :bringit:

I don't like tofu. I've tried some of those meat substitute type offerings of late. Haven't finished one yet.

YMMV

You know what looks, cooks and tastes like beef? BEEF.

Unfortunately our house sees chicken, pork, and turkey and no beef any more. LostWife has become very problematic with the stuff. It screws with her digestive system, effectively shutting it down, and the Doctor type says he can't promise it will start up again when shut down. Not a good outlook.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Unfortunately our house sees chicken, pork, and turkey and no beef any more. LostWife has become very problematic with the stuff. It screws with her digestive system, effectively shutting it down, and the Doctor type says he can't promise it will start up again when shut down. Not a good outlook.

Sorry to hear about the wife's health issues.

But, ground turkey is our go to meat for burgers and burritos.  I also like pressure cooking up a couple of turkey thighs and using the broth to make rice, quinoa and faro.  Not to mention turkey thighs and ciabatta bread make my favorite sandwiches.  Left over ground turkey makes a quick pasta meal taste pretty gourmet (to me).

Yea, at this point, I probably cook better without the beef than with. We've had a few years to perfect it, and most folks that come over for meals don't realize what they are eating.

I left out ground pork. What a great substitute for beef. Some things are better with pork, some are better with turkey. Just takes some experimentation.

Ground venison with pork fat is a favorite. The local packer must have had his wife's virtue, kids reputation, and house threatened by my friend the first time we used them. I didn't have a large enough trunk for the cooler the deer was in. The guy remembered the order and was a great processor and did ours first in the AM to negate any chance of contamination with beef byproducts.

The way he explained it all and the near terrified look on his face was priceless. Good people.

Edited by LostinTexas

11 hours ago, minervadoe said:

My conclusion?  If all of these sauces make steak taste so good, you are mostly tasting the sauce.

I figured this out eating BBQ.  A great tasting sauce tastes great and makes other things have that great taste.

Why put ketchup on the fries, when you can drag them through the same BBQ sauce you put on the meat?  Same goes for the toasted bread.

It really hit home when eating at a popular BBQ place in Chattanooga years ago that served rice with the dish.  That was disappointing. Who goes for BBQ and wants to be served rice?!?  Well, thankfully, they did have great tasting BBQ sauce and suddenly that rice wasn't half bad.

I like Worcestershire Sauce on a second rate steak to spruce it up.  I've never been a big fan of burgers. So, if I have to eat a burger, I'll bring out the Worcestershire so it reminds me of steak.  

1 hour ago, Maccabeus said:

I figured this out eating BBQ.  A great tasting sauce tastes great and makes other things have that great taste.

Why put ketchup on the fries, when you can drag them through the same BBQ sauce you put on the meat?  Same goes for the toasted bread.

It really hit home when eating at a popular BBQ place in Chattanooga years ago that served rice with the dish.  That was disappointing. Who goes for BBQ and wants to be served rice?!?  Well, thankfully, they did have great tasting BBQ sauce and suddenly that rice wasn't half bad.

I like Worcestershire Sauce on a second rate steak to spruce it up.  I've never been a big fan of burgers. So, if I have to eat a burger, I'll bring out the Worcestershire so it reminds me of steak.  

I went to a deli in the Bronx where I got an amazing sandwich.  The next time I went back, I read the menu for that sandwich carefully.  It had two different types of salad dressing on it.  We bought my son some ranch dressing last month.  Now, I see he is putting it on lots of different things.

For chicken, I use the Basic Barbecue Rub from the book titled Barbecue Bible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

Indeed.  My post was 1/2 in jest, but I've never understood the hatred for Ketchup.  Maybe it's the name.

I had a steak last night with an amazing reduction of stewed heirloom sweet and sour tomato puree.  It was life changing.

BBQ is interesting.  You take an inferior cut of meat like brisket that is so tough that you need to cook it for 13 hours and then slather it in sauce to eat it (which is ketchup in large part...), and that is haute cuisine.

But put Ketchup on anything and it's sacrilege.  ??    That steak posted above slathered in that green guacamole looking stuff was pretty good I bet, but it looks foul.  At least it's not Ketchup right?  Try as people will, you cannot actually tell anyone what they like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Peng said:

But put Ketchup on anything and it's sacrilege.  ??

My Mom used to put Ketchup in Homemade Beef stew, like an unreasonable amount of Ketchup in it and every time she ate it she did it.

i put Ketchup on a Hot Dog once and she Questioned if i was Adopted.

we found Common Ground again with our Hatred of Yellow Mustard.

7 hours ago, Peng said:

That steak posted above slathered in that green guacamole looking stuff was pretty good I bet, but it looks foul.  At least it's not Ketchup right?  Try as people will, you cannot actually tell anyone what they like.

Chimichurri is not guacamole, which would be disgusting on any steak. Chimichurri is made of finely chopped parsley, cilantro, minced garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. It has its origins in Argentina.

Try it with some QUALITY prime grade and aged skirt steak at medium rare, right from the charcoal grill. Will make your ribeye look and taste bland.

Edited by crockett

23 minutes ago, crockett said:

Chimichurri is not guacamole, which would be disgusting on any steak. Chimichurri is made of finely chopped parsley, cilantro, minced garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. It has its origins in Argentina.

Try it with some QUALITY prime grade and aged skirt steak at medium rare, right from the charcoal grill. Will make your ribeye look and taste bland.

There was a place on broad street in Durham NC that did a great chimchuri skirt steak. Orgasmic would describe it. The chef was an artist with the grill.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NPTim said:

There was a place on broad street in Durham NC that did a great chimchuri skirt steak. Orgasmic would describe it. The chef was an artist with the grill.

It kinda needs an artist for this cut. Skirt steak is easy to screw up. Really needs to be quality beef and it only takes 30 seconds being too long on the grill and it will be a shoe sole.