CRAZY Year in Recap

tadbart

I'm still shaking my head at this year, as we all are. December might have put a positive spin on 2020 for me.

Boss texted me a week ago. Asked me how long I've been a Nurse Practitioner, then how long I've been in Emergency Medicine, then what he was paying me. I figured I done Fked up, BAD.

Nah. He gave me a major promotion, to Florida Clinical Manager, overseeing 3 clinics, 13 other Providers, and a hefty 12% raise. I schedule the Providers, write new protocols, handle minor disciplinary stuff, and manage training and recertification schedules, in addition to my regularly scheduled patient care shifts.

I'm still writing my job description. Pretty sure we are opening a 4th Florida clinic right after the first of the year, and he still wants me to travel to newly opened clinics to orient the providers. He says he wants to open 20 new clinics across the nation in 2021.

2020 in recap- Got a dream job in the ER. Got furloughed when Covid hit. Got hired at my company. Damn near died from the rona. Was off of work for two months total this year. Wrecked my truck. Got a ridiculous promotion.

Oh, and I'm heading up to Savannah for the weekend, part of which will be dinner with my boss, and a personal tour of an 8,000 acre plantation that he owns, that used to be owned by Henry Ford.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

Congrats on your promotion. tom. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

Thank you, Sir. I'm still interviewing with Yellowstone, because that's the end goal. Will have to decline a job offer there this year. But I can't NOT at least give this good thing a solid go. I mean, Yellowstone is the end goal, but management experience is HUGE for the resume. I like my job, my boss, and my company. Somehow, my dream, career pinnacle job found itself pushed back a season, maybe a couple. Insanity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

As far as medical goes, my grandson is just about to get his National Paramedic license. Things are falling in place for him. Sadly we have to mostly avoid each other because he gets exposed to covid occasionally.

I know he and I will likely never meet, but please extend my congratulations and admiration for his accomplishment. That's no small feat. Impressive.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

I know he and I will likely never meet, but please extend my congratulations and admiration for his accomplishment. That's no small feat. Impressive.

Thank you. It has been eye opening to see just how much is involved in what he is doing. So much training and testing. A crazy amount of work.

• Like 4

Congrats on the promo! 12% for all that responsibility sounds like being on the low end, but I have zero experiences when it comes to your field.

Wait, you had the virus? What is YOUR experience with this one, compared to the flu. What have you seen in hospitals? My local hospital was empty while the media told us, that we are running out of beds. I'd like to get some info from somebody I can trust, not the media or the political side.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

Certainly, that license is no joke. 

And congrats on your crazy promotion, dude!

This has been a year of extremes.  Good things happened.  Very bad things happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I thought you were dying to get out of FL?  Perhaps the boss will open a clinic in a location you like and let you work from there, sounds like he has a think for you.  Just relax and let it happen. :broc1:  Congrats on the promotion! :cheerleader:

You never ended up on a vent did you?  I know someone that was on a vent, got off, then trachvent, I guess she is doing better now.  THAT sounds like a real **** sandwich.

• Thanks 2

Thanks, folks! This year has been a wild ride for us all.

@crockett The Rona sucked. BAD. Started with fever, muscle aches, loss of taste and smell, dry cough. Then, hypoxia and profound shortness of breath. 11 days in the hospital, 3 in ICU. I asked to get tubed, but they didn't want to do it. O2 sats were around 88% for a few days. In hindsight, If I woulda been intubated, I probably wouldn't be here typing this. Is there hype? Yes. Is it legit for some? Also yes. I'm fat, my blood pressure is up, and my blood sugar was elevated at the time. I kinda earned the ass-kicking it gave me. @RenoF250 This thing has potential to be a life-changer. I'm glad your friend didn't have the worst possible outcome. Man, that sounds like a rough hand to be dealt.

@willie-pete Nah, my boss is good. He's an old Georgia boy, who done good as a Doc and entrepreneur. I'm happy where I'm at, pay : work wise.

Phoenix is as far away as we've stretched thus far, but I'm pretty sure the Mountain West is on the expansion horizon. I'll definitely ask for a transfer if we put a clinic in a location that suits my fancy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Above picture.   900 hours of training at the academy.  300 hours of on the job training.   10 years on the force.

I'm guarding a lot of Hole Role.

900 hours of academy, and you were issued a gun???

I've done 120 college credit hours, countless thousands of clinical hours, 25 years in my field, and had to buy my own damn gun. Fuckery, I say.

• Haha 4