CRAZY Year in Recap

tadbart

11 hours ago, tadbart said:

900 hours of academy, and you were issued a gun???

I've done 120 college credit hours, countless thousands of clinical hours, 25 years in my field, and had to buy my own damn gun. ****ery, I say.

The standards at the police academy i attended exceeded the state mandate.

It was 900 hours of contact time in class and training. You brought your own gun and other equipment.  Boots, uniforms, cuffs, belt gear, etc.    Then you had to pass the state exam.

Once hired i had a 200 hour "survival class" for officers.   And about 300 or so more in what is called field training.     In between they sent us to classes on radar and a few other things.

So i guess before i drove the car by myself...it was about 1,600 hours of training.

But hey.   I had about 180 undergraduate credit hours from various universities before i went to the academy.

All that and i made $14 an hour plus over time my first year.

Edited by Historian
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Historian said:

The standards at the police academy i attended exceeded the state mandate.

It was 900 hours of contact time in class and training. You brought your own gun and other equipment.  Boots, uniforms, cuffs, belt gear, etc.    Then you had to pass the state exam.

Once hired i had a 200 hour "survival class" for officers.   And about 300 or so more in what is called field training.     In between they sent us to classes on radar and a few other things.

So i guess before i drove the car by myself...it was about 1,600 hours of training.

But hey.   I had about 180 undergraduate credit hours from various universities before i went to the academy.

All that and i made $14 an hour plus over time my first year.

I know that first year was a LOOOOONG time ago, but damn. The pay to risk/responsibility ratio is skewed heavily not in you guys' favor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

I know that first year was a LOOOOONG time ago, but damn. The pay to risk/responsibility ratio is skewed heavily not in you guys' favor.

That was 1998.  Not that long ago.  :)   It's not like we packed flint locks and a blunderbuss.

No one cared about the money.  To some it was better that stacking hay.

I was actually hired as a reservist.  So for those first six months...i only got paid to go to mandatory meetings, got called in for shift coverage, court or training.  The rest was volunteer time.  They required a full 12 hours a month of patrol.  But if you wanted to go full-time you had to complete the rest of your training and they would find a spot for you.  So it wasn't uncommon to volunteer around 80 to 100 hours a month.

It was the best time i ever had in uniform.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

It's been a financially advantageous year.  I don't know if our competitors just curled-up and stayed home,  or what.  But I'll work all the hours they throw at me.

Everything's an emergency.  PANIC!!  FRET!!  DESPAIR!!  I can easily get paid double or triple time for spending 24 weekend-hours in airports for a three hour job.

There's probably a bunch of stuff I need to buy,  but nothing's really curling my toes right now.

3 hours ago, Historian said:

That was 1998.  Not that long ago.  :)   It's not like we packed flint locks and a blunderbuss.

No one cared about the money.  To some it was better that stacking hay.

I was actually hired as a reservist.  So for those first six months...i only got paid to go to mandatory meetings, got called in for shift coverage, court or training.  The rest was volunteer time.  They required a full 12 hours a month of patrol.  But if you wanted to go full-time you had to complete the rest of your training and they would find a spot for you.  So it wasn't uncommon to volunteer around 80 to 100 hours a month.

It was the best time i ever had in uniform.

Yeah, I was fairly fresh out of high school making $10/hour doing grunt work so $14 was not so great.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 7:29 PM, tadbart said:

900 hours of academy, and you were issued a gun???

I've done 120 college credit hours, countless thousands of clinical hours, 25 years in my field, and had to buy my own damn gun. ****ery, I say.

Your federal, state, county or city... bought my gun at one time or another.

• Haha 1