Spookiest thing my wife has ever said.

Batesmotel

Sure. If you want the boat get it for Christmas. 

So I mentioned in passing that I found a 37 foot sailboat for sale. Already berthed on the lake. 

Now she did grow up around ski boats and her dad had a 1/4 share in a massive luxury monohull house boat. Not your type boxy pontoon hull jobs. She understands the money that goes into them but she has no idea about the insanity that goes with sailing. 

You own a ski boat, you ski with your family. You own a sailboat, you become part of the local sailing community. Regattas, committee assignments, race days, haul out days. It’s a disease. 

Oh hell I miss it. Those were days before we met. This is so tempting. 

Edited by Batesmotel
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

Sure. If you want the boat get it for Christmas. 

So I mentioned in passing that I found a 37 foot sailboat for sale. Already berthed on the lake. 

Now she did grow up around ski boats and her dad had a 1/4 share in a massive luxury monohull house boat. Not your type boxy pontoon hull jobs. She understands the money that goes into them but she has no idea about the insanity that goes with sailing. 

You own a ski boat, you ski with your family. You own a sailboat, you become part of the local sailing community. Regattas, committee assignments, race days, haul out days. It’s a disease. 

Oh hell I miss it. Those were days before we met. This is so tempting. 

My wife smiled at me and said If you want to get a boat, go right head.

Many boats and many years later, I found out why she was smiling.  Now I spend money on her, it's cheaper.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Winter pool vs summer pool on man made lake?

No. Great Salt Lake. It’s drying up. Drought cycles and water being removed from all the tributaries for drinking and irrigation. The water just doesn’t get to the lake. 

It used to be wonderful sailing. But since the 90s it’s been getting worse as it dries up. It is a shall lake to begin with so every foot it drops is devastating.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Eric said:

I thought it would be, "I'm not mad. Just go to sleep."

I knew i had pissed her off beyond rational expectations the day before.  And i was wrong.  But when she said....

"One cast iron pan away from happiness," she said.

I was glad to see she was about to start cooking dinner.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

No. Great Salt Lake. It’s drying up. Drought cycles and water being removed from all the tributaries for drinking and irrigation. The water just doesn’t get to the lake. 

It used to be wonderful sailing. But since the 90s it’s been getting worse as it dries up. It is a shall lake to begin with so every foot it drops is devastating.   

Daughter and I went to the 150th Anniversary of Golden Spike Ceremony in May 2019. From driving around it seems that a lot of the west Is in a similar situation. Lake Powell and Lake Mead... People in the Great Basin fighting to keep Las Vegas from taking their water like Los Angeles took Mono Lake area water. Colorado River itself in long term deficit vs allocations from the glory days...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maser said:

Scariest thing any wife will ever say is "I do". ?

I occasionally remind my wife that when she said, "I do", she really meant in her heart that, "I won't". 

I even point out while in the grocery store, that not only she won't, but she adamantly refuses to.

The other ladies near her get a chuckle out of that.  I suspect their all in agreement with her.

2 hours ago, Historian said:

I knew i had pissed her off beyond rational expectations the day before.  And i was wrong.  But when she said....

"One cast iron pan away from happiness," she said.

I was glad to see she was about to start cooking dinner.

:beat-dead-horse: