What Are You Cooking?

Eric

• Administrators

Are you guys spending more time cooking your meals during the lockdown? I’ve tried a few new recipes, with mixed results. Today, I made a long-time favorite of mine: Spicy Beef, Barley and Vegetable soup. I use a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes & peppers to give it a little heat. Good stuff.

What do you have on the stove?

• Like 2

Yesterday was duck consommé, which I had never made before.  I only did it because I found two small ducks somewhat freezer-burned in the bottom of the freezer #2, and didn't want to waste them.  The recipe called for shiitake shrooms and watercress and carrots.  I had those, so the only part of the recipe I didn't follow was defatting the stock (I like my stock fattening, thank you).   I still had duck stock left today, so today I put in hen-of-the-woods shrooms and spinach and purple carrots.  Half the family preferred yesterday's recipe, and the other half preferred today's.  So... I guess that'a a win?  I think I would like it best with hen-of-the-woods shrooms, and watercress and carrots.  Next time I cook duck, I'll make stock with the carcass and try it that way.

Edited by Mrs.Cicero
typo
  • Like 2

Tonight was Chili Verde Enchilada. I’m cooking all sorts of things but in 2019 we did not eat out. We ate in and I did all of the cooking except my wife cooked Thanksgiving dinner. At first it was tough because I had to change my shopping routine but the cooking was pretty easy. We saved a ton of money, lost weight and our overall health improved. 

This year we didn’t really go back to eating out so it’s still business as normal to cook everything here. 

We are eating a lot more pasta, bean and rice dishes than usual just so I don’t have to shop as much. Tomorrow is linguine in clam sauce with mizithra cheese. 

CC432C9F-6D93-46F0-A69A-4204602BBDD8.jpeg

Edited by Batesmotel
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Next time I cook duck, I'll make stock with the carcass and try it that way.

I want a duck (lobster) press so bad it’s killing me. I’m trying to figure out a less expensive way of doing it. I’m thinking a modified sausage press. 

Edited by Batesmotel
  • Like 1

I didn't want to go to the store tonight.  So, I pulled out a couple of fish I had been curing in sake lees and miso, planked them and tossed them on the BGE.  I made some miso/ginger shredded carrots, dashi dressed blanched okra slices with grape tomatoes, and tempura sweet potatoes and peppers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I want a duck (lobster) press so bad it’s killing me. I’m trying to figure out a less expensive way of doing it. I’m thinking a modified sausage press. 

I buy a duck every month or so.  Ducks around here are about $22.  Out of that I get about $20 of rendered duck fat, the meat in whichever way I choose to cook it, a pate or mousse, about a half gallon of stock, and some cracklins.

I think, minus the obvious labor, ducks are one of the best buys in the meat world.  My family revolts against potatoes and eggs not cooked in duck fat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Al Czervik said:

I buy a duck every month or so.  Ducks around here are about $22.  Out of that I get about $20 of rendered duck fat, the meat in whichever way I choose to cook it, a pate or mousse, about a half gallon of stock, and some cracklins.

I think, minus the obvious labor, ducks are one of the best buys in the meat world.  My family revolts against potatoes and eggs not cooked in duck fat.

Duck is wonderful and very under used here. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Tonight was Chili Verde Enchilada. I’m cooking all sorts of things but in 2019 we did not eat out. We ate in and I did all of the cooking except my wife cooked Thanksgiving dinner. At first it was tough because I had to change my shopping routine but the cooking was pretty easy. We saved a ton of money, lost weight and our overall health improved. 

This year we didn’t really go back to eating out so it’s still business as normal to cook everything here. 

We are eating a lot more pasta, bean and rice dishes than usual just so I don’t have to shop as much. Tomorrow is linguine in clam sauce with mizithra cheese. 

CC432C9F-6D93-46F0-A69A-4204602BBDD8.jpeg

Give some to the dogs.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I grilled up a bunch of moose burgers last night. Had some left over for tonight. With all the goodies on them, they must have been 3" thick.

I’ve eaten a lot of different animals, but I’ve never had Moose.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’ve eaten a lot of different animals, but I’ve never had Moose.

I have been eating wild game all my life. Tons of deer, elk, bear, and other critters. Moose for me, is right there at the top. Dall sheep and mountain goat is at the top of the list also, but we don't get the same quantities of those.

• Like 3

I didn't cook a damn thing, for once.  ?

Mrs. C prepared an awesome quarantine prime rib dinner for my birthday (yeah, I know, I have a bit of a shitty birthdate).

So, I'm just sitting here, fat, dumb, and happy with my nice glass of cab reading some BS, about to stumble into bed.

• Like 1

I'm doing takeout more than ever.  I'm trying to help my favorite restaurants and save my own food stores.  There are meat processing plants that have been closed, and that's concerning to me.  There are predictions of food distribution disruptions, so I'm taking out, buying and stocking, and waiting it out.  If it lifts soon like it should, I'll start cooking.  If the democrats get their way and it goes several more months, it could get ugly.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 8:53 PM, Batesmotel said:

Here ya go.  Here's a cheap one.:anim_lol:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/matfer-bourgeat-612205-brass-duck-lobster-press/980612205.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

2 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

That’s the one I like. My dream is to see one at an estate sale where no one knows what it is. For an additional $1000 you can get that one with duck food shaped feet instead of the plain ones that one has. 

• Like 1

Just got back from Sam's Club. Only about 1/2 patrons wearing masks and gloves.

Everything else pretty much back to normal. Had hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes, and TP.

Meats, produce, canned goods all full.

Bought 12 pork tenderloins, $1.97/lb. Firing up the grill tonight.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Eric said:

I spent about 4 hours today making a bolognese sauce from scratch. 

I've never made that though I love it! I'm going to have to tackle it someday.

Is this a tried and true recipe/process?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Zonny said:

I've never made that though I love it! I'm going to have to tackle it someday.

Is this a tried and true recipe/process?

I just made some for the first time yesterday. I took it for a test drive over some penne pasta today and it was excellent. I’ll post a link to the recipe I used. I didn’t change anything. 

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-bolognese

9F48F475-8B59-4BD2-BB8F-163DB285EF27.thumb.jpeg.70064be73e581d1ab729bdbf8f44e3ae.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1