What Are You Cooking?

Eric

Since we can't eat in restaurants (take out or delivery only) , we've had home cooked meals exclusively (except for pizza or chinese)  for a month now. Saving a bunch of money but burdening my wife and causing me to step up assistance. State Stores are closed but the beer distributors are open. Don't know if we will be slimmer of plumper after this is over but whatever. tom. :eat::cheers:

Edited by deputy tom
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Some restaurants are getting desperate and they are offering some smoking Carryout and delivery deals. We got a large meat lover’s pizza, a family size chicken and broccoli fettuccine, a family Caesar salad and family breadsticks for $40. That is a steal. Pre-Covid, that pizza alone was $27.99. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Lazy R said:

I hear a lot of good things about duck fat, never had it. Used to jump shoot ducks off the creek back in school days, filet the breasts and cook them up for a snack.

I find it hard to beat duck fat.  I usually get about 3 1/2 cups of fat out of a store bought duck.

I've been cooking almost every night. The wife takes over on the weekends and there's usually a day or two of leftovers. 

One thing I usually make is Indian butter chicken breasts over rice. Cut chicken breasts or whatever you prefer into bite sized pieces and brown with a slab of butter. Set aside and throw diced onions and minced garlic into the juices for a couple minutes, add curry powder for a minute and a bit of ginger if you like, then crushed tomatoes. After a few minutes, mix in some salt and heavy cream and mix it up for a couple of minutes. Then toss the chicken back in to get covered and serve it over rice. Even my picky 4 year old eats it.

Edited by jfost11
  • Like 1

• Administrators

A tragedy occurred tonight on my stove. I was browning four steaks I had just pulled out of my sous vide cooker. Three were on the wrong side of medium and mine was a perfect 131-degree medium rare. I was browning the steaks two at a time in a cast iron skillet, when someone started texting me for tech help. I got the steaks in the skillet confused and the pic below is how my beautiful medium rare steak ended up. I ate about half of it and gave the rest to the dog.

Don’t text and brown, people. Do it for the bovinity. 

26B5000B-3A59-42E9-A62A-938FD28C6072.thumb.jpeg.ef3b99b76f2c5be49fddc069e0e2f9b1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

A tragedy occurred tonight on my stove. I was browning four steaks I had just pulled out of my sous vide cooker. Three were on the wrong side of medium and mine was a perfect 131-degree medium rare. I was browning the steaks two at a time in a cast iron skillet, when someone started texting me for tech help. I got the steaks in the skillet confused and the pic below is how my beautiful medium rare steak ended up. I ate about half of it and gave the rest to the dog.

26B5000B-3A59-42E9-A62A-938FD28C6072.thumb.jpeg.ef3b99b76f2c5be49fddc069e0e2f9b1.jpeg

I would have eaten that.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I would have eaten that.

In my defense, the meat was a little dry and the dog was using her hypnosis on me. Her powers are formidable when meat is in play. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

Chicken Wild Rice Soup tonight.

Costco Rotisserie Chicken leftovers pulled voraciously with bare hands, carcass was used for Stock.

Native Harvested Wisconsin Wild Rice.

Celery,Carrots, Onion and Fresh Garlic

White Wine, Butter Olive Oil and Heavy Cream.

Sounds tasty. I’ll have to try that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric said:

I would have eaten that as is. tom.