Sweet Heat

jmohme

I am going to start this off by saying, that I prefer not to cook and most that know me would agree!

That said, there are some things that nobody else will cook for me, and candied Habaneros is one of those things.

I start by spiral slicing a boat load of habaneros. Of course I discard the seeds and stem and them boil them.

This step has the added benefit of clearing the sinuses of every human with a ¼ mile radius of the stovetop.

IMG_1158.JPG

After they have been boiled and drained they get simmered for 20-30 minutes in a a sugar, ,honey, and water solution.

IMG_1160.JPG

Once it has thickened and the papers start becoming translucent, they are let cool for an hour and then pulled out and dried on a rack in the oven, sprinkled with sugar. Here is the finished product.

IMG_1162.JPG

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Do you eat them by the handful?

Not quite. One at a time is just fine.

I am told that they are great in small pieces mixed into vanilla ice cream, but have not tried that yet.

• Like 1

I know a couple of my fellow shooters who need this.  I think I must grow habaneros this year, assuming Witless start allowing people to buy their freaking vegetable plants again!  (I always plant jalapeños and chiles or Thai peppers, but not always scotch bonnets... those last 2-3 years when dried around here...

hottest anything ive ever used is dave insanity sauce once ,   ONCE.  years ago  .  i hate spicy food  absolutely hate it . i do not see how people get enjoyment out of some peppers so hot you get blisters  in your mouth .  long term its gotta be killing your insides .   used to be thought spicy food was good for you  and then they reversed   but .....

• Like 1

Read an article saying that the reason that there are so few cases of Stomach Cancer in India is because of the hot food.  A co-worker from India says that when he goes back to visit every couple of years, he can't eat the typical hot food anymore.  He adapted to the bland American diet.  If he would go back and stay he thinks he would be accustomed again in a sort while.

28 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Read an article saying that the reason that there are so few cases of Stomach Cancer in India is because of the hot food.  A co-worker from India says that when he goes back to visit every couple of years, he can't eat the typical hot food anymore.  He adapted to the bland American diet.  If he would go back and stay he thinks he would be accustomed again in a sort while.

They also don't eat cured meats like many cultures do.

• Thanks 1

I've had and really enjoy candied jalapeños. Have a jar in the fridge now. I've researched a few recipes/technics for making them. 

A little different in that they are not dried. They are more like a sweet pickle. Not sure I would enjoy the habaneros; a bit too hot for me.