What Piece Of Crap Firearms Did You Buy When You Were Young?

DrB

For me, one was a Universal .30 Carbine with the dual springs that would could fire from open battery.  Another was a Commando Arms 45 Thompson.  They left, my safe after Sandy Hook for a tidy profit. Yes, all the parties involved were informed of the issues and such. 

The .45  Commando I sold at a gun show and I swear there was an ATF agent there.  At least 6 times this person came up asking if it was full auto and if he could check it out. Then asked how easy it would be to convert.  Then he wanted to meet at a different location to buy.. Hahaa. Good luck with that fella..  I traded it off to a dealer there later in the day. .

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Mine was an ERMA .22 pistol.  It's a .22 caliber copy of a German Lugar.  In all fairness, I had the magazines reworked and it then functioned fine.  I simply couldn't get to like the grip angle.

Yep, I have the Stoeger  Luger version of that.  Jamomatic......  I Think I lost that one in my many failed canoe trips on the river. Nah, it's back in the safe somewhere...

Edited by DrB
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrB said:

Yep, I have the Stoeger  Luger version of that.  Jamomatic......  I Think I lost that one in my many failed canoe trips on the river. Nah, it's back in the safe somewhere...

My problem turned out to be the magazine lips.  Then it was pretty reliable.

Hunk of junk double action .44 Mag.  Don’t remember the brand. Got it at a gun show. It was the only gun the company made. Fewer than 500 were made IIRC. Probably closer to 300. You could only fire 4-5 rounds before you had to tighten the screws on the side plate. Ugly but I really wanted a .44. 

I traded it to an avid reloader for a nice .36 cal flint long rifle. He wanted it to proof hot loads. If his hot rounds didn’t blow it up he knew his Redhawk would be fine. 

Then there was a very early production Grendel P10 .380.  The one you loaded from the top. It came with a flat wound striker spring. The spring kept breaking. Later ones came with a wound coil spring. They finally replaced my flat spring with a wound coil but it didn’t fit right. The dealer took it back and gave me store credit for it. 

• Like 2

There were these kit derringers. l don't remember the brand name but you could buy all the parts except the side plates. there were patterns available to make the side plates. They were 45/410 single shot and side by side. total POS as l remember. l gave them away.

Edited by Mongo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the first Auto Ordnance semi-auto Thompsons. Semi-auto rifle in a pistol cartridge that weighed a ton. Novelty wore off in about a month. Also had two Century Galils (Golani), and neither would feed reliably despite various ammo and mags. Pure junk. 

• Like 2

An odd German post metal .22 that looked like a toy cap gun that survived a fire. Paid 20 bucks for it.

I basically took it apart to see how it worked.  Threw it away eventually as it was not safe in any condition. Should saved it for a police trade in and got my twenty back.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 5:54 PM, Historian said:

An odd German post metal .22 that looked like a toy cap gun that survived a fire.

Post metal you say.... Could have one of those rare ones made from ubatonimun, only 2 were made.  Very rare and worth big money to collectors.

You didn't pitch a .45 Caliber Luger as well because it wasn't 9mm and probably fake pot metal junk?

Dave..

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, DrB said:

Post metal you say.... Could have one of those rare ones made from ubatonimun, only 2 were made.  Very rare and worth big money to collectors.

You didn't pitch a .45 Caliber Luger as well because it wasn't 9mm and probably fake pot metal junk?

Dave..

No it was pot metal. And not a .45.

But the one I should never have purchased was that harpoon that caused me so many issues.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Moshe said:

16 gauge pump shotgun.  After riding myself of that, mostly I regret some of the things I have sold over the years. 

I let an A-5 go by because it was 16 gauge.  I am still kicking myself over and over.  Bunch of  older folks I knew in my youth hunted with 16's.  Somehow the lure of the 16 is still with me like I had the lure of the Swift. The Swift I have, the 16 A-5 not yet..

Dave..

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Maser said:

51202_1.jpg

I have one of those.  Mine is an early one made by Freedom Arms.  Was a gift to me from an old girlfriend.  Still have it for the memories.

Dave..

• Like 2

Llama .45 acp..  Like the one pictured.  Bought if from a buddy for cheap.  You get what you pay for was never more true.  I swear, you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside!  What a POS!

LLAMA 45 PISTOL (Auction ID: 11017066, End Time : Mar. 30, 2018 ...

• Like 2

Long time ago I bought a "Last Ditch" Arisaka at a gun show on a whim.  Can't remember what I paid but it was less than $200.00.  It still sits in the safe, I'm afraid to fire it.  Never even cleaned it up.  I'll keep it around though for the history.

Dave..

• Like 1