What Piece Of Crap Firearms Did You Buy When You Were Young?

DrB

• Administrators

A Squire-Bingham Model 16. It was a blowback .22 that tried to look vaguely like an M-16. It almost pulled it off, if you were a couple blocks away and the lighting wasn’t so good and your eyesight wasn’t great. It worked well enough, but it was cheap.

5FB8CA69-709A-43C0-A869-0854F634E0E3.thumb.jpeg.ee85d7df7c3bc217a742c84d13eb5e64.jpeg

• Like 1

I traded for an IRMA in .22 caliber.  I never liked the feel and eventually hated it.  It had magazine issues and one of the Machinists at the research model shop fixed it so it was very reliable.  I still hated the feel and balance so I got rid of it.  I think I sold it to my son for $100.

My first was an early parkerized Auto Ordnance 1911 GI model, before Kahr took over. The front sight came loose, and it didn't feed hollow points. Some of the mags I got were also junk. It shot alright and was fairly accurate for as sloppy as it was. And by fairly accurate, I just mean that I could hit a target with it despite my inexperience. Not necessarily where I was aiming at on the target but i could get it on the numbers somewhere at a distance.

• Like 1

Early, 3-digit Devine, TX M1A. Min condition, upper handguard was wood, it was one of the best I’ve ever seen. Sold it in college to raise funds for something else- whatever “something else” was it was forgettable. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

My first pistol was a 4-inch Stainless Taurus 669 .357 revolver. It was inexpensive and shot reasonably well when it was new. It developed issues though. First, the rear sight fell off. Then, that little ratchet wheel on the cylinder wore, causing clocking issues. This can be a dangerous problem. The pistol also developed problems with the cylinder lock. It just wasn't that well made. After I got my first S&W wheel gun and experienced the difference, I never bought another cheap revolver.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Eric said:

A Squire-Bingham Model 16. It was a blowback .22 that tried to look vaguely like an M-16. It almost pulled it off, if you were a couple blocks away and the lighting wasn’t so good and your eyesight wasn’t great. It worked well enough, but it was cheap.

5FB8CA69-709A-43C0-A869-0854F634E0E3.thumb.jpeg.ee85d7df7c3bc217a742c84d13eb5e64.jpeg

There's a scene in the original Predator film that comes to mind when I see that. The one where Ahnold makes a remark about cosmetic appearance when the creature takes it's mask off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 7 months later...

Hah!  I bought a 1911 Norinco .45.  I bought it for WAAAAYYY more than I sold it for in parts, but it was an impulse buy at the time.....probably 2005 or so?

God it was so hideously ugly and awful.  It was a "weekend-tinkerer" garage-built race gun that supposedly my buddy had sold for a friend of his whom I didn't know.  I was the sucker that bought it.  I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was probably in the $200 range.  Horrible buy.  It had a small plastic mag funnel, huge oversized Hogue grips that I hated, and stainless parts on a black frame and slide, along with a long solid stainless trigger.  It had rust staining on the slide and a compensator as well, which didn't help the looks.

I posted a picture of it on the old forum way back when, but it's long gone.  Wish I still had a picture of it.

I had a Ruger P89DC that I wasn't entirely fond of, but it was miles better than that Norinco.  Never again.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Jade Falcon said:

Hah!  I bought a 1911 Norinco .45.  I bought it for WAAAAYYY more than I sold it for in parts, but it was an impulse buy at the time.....probably 2005 or so?

God it was so hideously ugly and awful.  It was a "weekend-tinkerer" garage-built race gun that supposedly my buddy had sold for a friend of his whom I didn't know.  I was the sucker that bought it.  I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was probably in the $200 range.  Horrible buy.  It had a small plastic mag funnel, huge oversized Hogue grips that I hated, and stainless parts on a black frame and slide, along with a long solid stainless trigger.  It had rust staining on the slide and a compensator as well, which didn't help the looks.

I posted a picture of it on the old forum way back when, but it's long gone.  Wish I still had a picture of it.

I had a Ruger P89DC that I wasn't entirely fond of, but it was miles better than that Norinco.  Never again.

This is my 5" Kimber CDP Custom. I love my Hogue grips. I never cared for the way a 1911 fit my hand, until I tried a set. The standard grip is too narrow. I think the extra bearing surface between the fingers up front helps me fire quicker accurate followup shots. I've been carrying this thing for more than twenty years and it is still a tack driver. It is on its second set of Meprolight Night Sights, but the same set of Hogue grips I put on it the day I bought it. I love my Kimber.

BTW, I've fired a Norinco 1911 a few times. I wasn't impressed. The machine work was horrible. The gun was loose and had a lot of sharp edges. It wasn't a pleasant shooter.

JPEG image 2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

This is my 5" Kimber CDP Custom. I love my Hogue grips. I never cared for the way a 1911 fit my hand, until I tried a set. The standard grip is too narrow. I think the extra bearing surface between the fingers up front helps me fire quicker accurate followup shots. I've been carrying this thing for more than twenty years and it is still a tack driver. It is on its second set of Meprolight Night Sights, but the same set of Hogue grips I put on it the day I bought it. I love my Kimber.

BTW, I've fired a Norinco 1911 a few times. I wasn't impressed. The machine work was horrible. The gun was loose and had a lot of sharp edges. It wasn't a pleasant shooter.

JPEG image 2.jpeg

That's a nice Kimber.  But yeah, I have small hands, so the big Hogue grips just aren't for me.  In fact, the next 1911 I get I'll likely swap out the grips for some super-thin ones and get a shorter trigger as well.

You nailed it about the Norinco.  Mine had small adjustable rear sights that were sharp as a knife and lacerated my damn hand with each over-hand rack.  God I hated them.  Lesson learned.....I'll never buy another gun from my buddy, and certainly not a Norinco, lol.

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Jade Falcon said:

That's a nice Kimber.  But yeah, I have small hands, so the big Hogue grips just aren't for me.  In fact, the next 1911 I get I'll likely swap out the grips for some super-thin ones and get a shorter trigger as well.

You nailed it about the Norinco.  Mine had small adjustable rear sights that were sharp as a knife and lacerated my damn hand with each over-hand rack.  God I hated them.  Lesson learned.....I'll never buy another gun from my buddy, and certainly not a Norinco, lol.

I wish I had a round for every round I’ve put down the barrel of that Kimber. I could fire it for another twenty years. :greensupergrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...