What's New Coming From the Kitchen

Rellik

49 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Not everyone can be sitting in front of the brain sucker these days.  

Has anyone whipped up something new and tasty from the kitchen?  

Wife has done wheat germ bread with various seed additions. And about 20 dozen assorted cookies.

I'm thawing three meat chili from the freezer and had stuffed bell peppers for a few days, also from freezer.

We're sprouting lots of seeds to go into the garden in about two weeks.

• Like 1

Some of the best sourdough bread we've ever made.  Tonight there will be chicken soup with real chicken stock I made over the last three days.  I haven't decided it it should be chicken dumpling or chicken noodle.  Saturday should be venison tenderloin, if I remember to get it out of the freezer today.  And next Tuesday will be Lemon Duck in the crockpot, which my daughter wants for her  birthday (but she's getting it early because I'll be in Tennessee helping a friend move on my daughter's actual birthday)... and then we'll have the traditional birthday sushi dinner when I get back, but it will be takeout, obviously.  There's a lot of spinach in the garden now, and kale, so I have to think of something fun to do with that.  (It all overwintered from last year, which is the first time that has ever happened - maybe because I've never tried fall planting anything before here in MI, land of ice and snow).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Some of the best sourdough bread we've ever made.  Tonight there will be chicken soup with real chicken stock I made over the last three days.  I haven't decided it it should be chicken dumpling or chicken noodle.  Saturday should be venison tenderloin, if I remember to get it out of the freezer today.  And next Tuesday will be Lemon Duck in the crockpot, which my daughter wants for her  birthday (but she's getting it early because I'll be in Tennessee helping a friend move on my daughter's actual birthday)... and then we'll have the traditional birthday sushi dinner when I get back, but it will be takeout, obviously.  There's a lot of spinach in the garden now, and kale, so I have to think of something fun to do with that.  (It all overwintered from last year, which is the first time that has ever happened - maybe because I've never tried fall planting anything before here in MI, land of ice and snow).

OHHHH, go with Dumplings!  I loved Dumplings in soup and haven't had it since childhood.

• Like 2

Hotel-microwaved crab cakes.

...that don't come out all crunchy-crusted and golden brown,  but kind of melt into a stinky goo.

And you eat them with your fingers,  because you can't even go in a fast-food place and get plasticware. (I got some now, from walmart, because I is a survivalist)

They tasted pretty covidy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I went with chicken noodle, because after chasing the ******* neighbor's dogs back across the street (before they injured/killed another chicken this time), I was too annoyed to be bothered with dumplings.  (The dogs left my yard and went after a different neighbors' ducks and chickens instead of going home, and then took off for parts unknown when that neighbor chased them back toward their own yard, so I had to stay outside until I could find my kids to make them keep an eye out for the dogs coming back, so I could go in the house and cook.  Sorry about that run-on sentence).  The soup was definitely comfort food... I thought I'd made enough to 2 days for everyone... but I'll one lucky if there is enough for my husband to have when he gets home from work... I guess I should hide it in the fridge now...  then I'm going to bribe my oldest daughter to make brownies while I take the youngest daughter out for an hour of driving in the dark (she needs 3 more hours to complete the 10 hours of driving in the dark required for her to get a real driver's license instead of the permit that makes me have to be in the car with her.  The problem is they aren't doing any driving tests now, 'cause "virus."  Well, at least she'll have all her hours done by the time they start testing again...  next I get to teach her to parallel park the pickup truck she has to take the test with.  Fun, fun, fun,  I need another bowl of soup.  And a brownie.

12 quarts of strawberries reduced to 1 1/4 quarts of puree’. Great in oatmeal. I dried some out to make fruit leather. 

The top container is what was sticking to the pan so I deglazed it with cognac and cooked it down. It is awesome on vanilla ice cream. 

9C54A490-CEC2-46AA-9F6B-52E38B0E92A5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I went with chicken noodle, because after chasing the ******* neighbor's dogs back across the street (before they injured/killed another chicken this time), I was too annoyed to be bothered with dumplings.  (The dogs left my yard and went after a different neighbors' ducks and chickens instead of going home, and then took off for parts unknown when that neighbor chased them back toward their own yard, so I had to stay outside until I could find my kids to make them keep an eye out for the dogs coming back, so I could go in the house and cook.  Sorry about that run-on sentence).  The soup was definitely comfort food... I thought I'd made enough to 2 days for everyone... but I'll one lucky if there is enough for my husband to have when he gets home from work... I guess I should hide it in the fridge now...  then I'm going to bribe my oldest daughter to make brownies while I take the youngest daughter out for an hour of driving in the dark (she needs 3 more hours to complete the 10 hours of driving in the dark required for her to get a real driver's license instead of the permit that makes me have to be in the car with her.  The problem is they aren't doing any driving tests now, 'cause "virus."  Well, at least she'll have all her hours done by the time they start testing again...  next I get to teach her to parallel park the pickup truck she has to take the test with.  Fun, fun, fun,  I need another bowl of soup.  And a brownie.

:o:cry:

Edited by janice6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Batesmotel said:

12 quarts of strawberries reduced to 1 1/4 quarts of puree’. Great in oatmeal. I dried some out to make fruit leather. 

The top container is what was sticking to the pan so I deglazed it with cognac and cooked it down. It is awesome on vanilla ice cream. 

9C54A490-CEC2-46AA-9F6B-52E38B0E92A5.jpeg

My wife will buy Strawberries and I will use on cup of Sugar to 1 lb box of strawberries.  Then I have to eat them in two days before they start to turn into liquor. I do like sweets.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

(The dogs left my yard and went after a different neighbors' ducks and chickens instead of going home, and then took off for parts unknown when that neighbor chased them back toward their own yard, so I had to stay outside until I could find my kids to make them keep an eye out for the dogs coming back, so I could go in the house and cook.  Sorry about that run-on sentence).

Don't you have a gun?

(When Mom and Dad first moved to Texas,  the phone rang one day and all he said was "EMMIT!  DOG IN THE CHICKENS!  THREE MINUTES!" and hung up.

Mom's little yappy terrier.  She immediately went down there, and Mom, being Mom,  made a best friend.)

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Don't you have a gun?

(When Mom and Dad first moved to Texas,  the phone rang one day and all he said was "EMMIT!  DOG IN THE CHICKENS!  THREE MINUTES!" and hung up.

Mom's little yappy terrier.  She immediately went down there, and Mom, being Mom,  made a best friend.)

Yes.  And they got a warning shot.  This time.  (They didn't move any faster tho').

• Like 1