The Latest: Activists unconvinced by St. Paul bodycam video

TBO

Of course they're unconvinced.  They spend hours second guessing life and death decisions that have to be made almost instantly, decisions they've never had to make.  They also have little concern for the law and the concept of reasonable force. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maser said:

Well, I didn't see no knife, but I will say the cop obviously actually spent time at the range to be able to stop the threat without a whole volley of shots and reloads.  Not bad for a Glock user.  ;)

If you stop the video at the appropriate places, you can CLEARLY see the knife in his right hand.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BamaBud said:

If you stop the video at the appropriate places, you can CLEARLY see the knife in his right hand.

I put it to it's highest resolution, didn't make out absolutely clearly that it's a knife, but yeah, definitely something in his hand that's thin and has a shinier edge than the rest of it, so 99% certain it's a knife, along with aggressively pursuing a police officer that's shouting commands to stay back and drop the knife, pretty much a no brainer that he was just asking to get perforated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The disbelief is from the same community that screams against more police on the force.  The protesters in this event are the ones worried that their own criminal activities will soon be met with force.

No law breaker wants to take a chance on being caught or being punished for their acts.  It is the active support for the ghetto thug in this metro city by its pro thug government that encourages irrational acts of violence against those the perpetrators think will be to intimidated by the city officials to fight back.

I see nothing wrong with the cop's response to an aggressive violent threat.  I would shoot too under the same circumstances.  I just would waste my breath first.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BamaBud said:

Not saying the shooting wasn't justified, just saying I myself didn't see the knife.  Just because a cop is screaming something, doesn't make it true.  How many vids have we seen of cops having a suspect on the ground and cuffed and yet still yelling "stop resisting" when the suspect isn't moving at all? 

As far as body cams in general go, I don't really see them helping all that much especially when the cops have the ability to turn them on or off anytime they want or the God awful angles they have them pointed at.  

1 hour ago, Maser said:

Not saying the shooting wasn't justified, just saying I myself didn't see the knife.  Just because a cop is screaming something, doesn't make it true.  How many vids have we seen of cops having a suspect on the ground and cuffed and yet still yelling "stop resisting" when the suspect isn't moving at all? 

As far as body cams in general go, I don't really see them helping all that much especially when the cops have the ability to turn them on or off anytime they want or the God awful angles they have them pointed at.  

Since I can only base my observations on the video posted above, I will respond.

1) The cop in this case has his bodycam recording prior to his exit of vehicle.  I am guessing it is mounted on his sternum, based upon the angle. This is most common.

2) At 10 seconds he is exiting his vehicle and at 11 seconds we see Davis is closing in and at 12 seconds appears to be almost even with the back tires. Officer is trying to scream commands.

3) At 17 seconds the attack has moved away from the patrol car and into the intersection. Officer is yelling drop the knife. The officer is facing directly into the sun.

4) Officer continues to try to create distance by tactically retreating. At the 20 second mark of this video there appears to be a flashlight in Davis' left hand and an object which can easily be construed to be a knife in his right. Davis continues to close in on the officer and refuses to "drop the knife" (or whatever it is). Because the officer is moving while being under what he believes to be an attack, part of Davis' body goes out of the bodycam field of view at  the 21 second mark.

5) By the 23 second mark the officer has his weapon out and begins shooting. By the 25 second mark the officer has hit Davis who is now on the ground. By 53 seconds he has called for medics.

The officer in a space of 43 seconds did not have time to turn his camera on or off. Awful angles are due to location of the camera on his torso and the cop moving trying to save his own life. As to a cop screaming something, doesn't make it true-that can be true. We hire fallible people in every profession. People do make mistakes. However in this case it appears to me that the cop went from stepping out of his car to "oh ****" in a space of less than one second. In reading the article, it states that the object was a knife. And the investigation continues.

Body cams to help a lot. They aren't perfect but they are a damned useful tool. And it appears to me that the officer used his camera in the manner it was intended to be used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Does video allow you to feel/experience physical resistance?

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TBO said:

Does video allow you to feel/experience physical resistance?

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Not sure how your eyes work, but mine don't require feeling to function properly.  If I see someone resisting, they're resisting.  If I don't see someone resisting, they're not resisting.  Pretty simple concept. 

7 hours ago, Maser said:

Not sure how your eyes work, but mine don't require feeling to function properly.  If I see someone resisting, they're resisting.  If I don't see someone resisting, they're not resisting.  Pretty simple concept. 

So if I post a video of my hand on a dumbbell resting on a table, you can look and clearly tell if I'm trying to pick it up or not?  How do you 'see' resistance when there may be no movement involved at the moment?

-Pat

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Maser said:

Spoken like someone whose never actually been in a fight.  There can be a ton of effort being exerted and no discernible movement.  Go back to your bridge and crawl under it.

• Like 1

The BG definitely had something in his hand and it was being held like a knife would be held.

I could never get the video paused at the exact moment to determine what he was holding, but it sure looked like a knife.

Bad part is most of the video was blocked by the officer's arm - especially the latter half.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cubdriver said:

So if I post a video of my hand on a dumbbell resting on a table, you can look and clearly tell if I'm trying to pick it up or not?  How do you 'see' resistance when there may be no movement involved at the moment?

-Pat

If I saw the skin of your knuckles tensing up, then obviously you're trying to pick it up.  Same if the video was zoomed out and I could see your arm tensing up. 

• Like 1

obviously by ramming the Police vehicle,jumping out armed and charging the Officer with a knife not backing down,disarming or verbalizing any issues.

it is obvious this Officer overreacted......

Anti-Police groups are just that,Anti-police.

they disregard prior criminal records,prison terms served,past violent acts,Gang membership,weapons involved,Social media posts about violence and drug use and now disregard the body cam video they all demand LEOs wear at taxpayer expense when it does`nt show the narrative they want painted.

Good shoot,hope they back the Officer involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1