Carry decision.

Hook

Figured this is the busiest forum so I decided to put this here. Would you rather carry with a light attached or not? Why wouldn’t you? I’m trying to decide if I want to carry my gen5 19 with or without the light. I could put it on the G45 and use that  for the crib. Guy offered me 800 bucks for the never shot 19 with the light and holster but I ain’t decided yet. Just curious what you guys think about carrying with a light. Thanks. 

My rule number one when it comes to self defense, carrying, and related firearms is: simplification.

I try to eliminate as many variables as possible. Variables that distract, get in the way, delay my draw, may get caught on the holster or clothing, may cause me not to carry due to being too heavy, too big, too unconformable, may fail and throw me off in the moment, delay me in getting on target, may give away my position - like a light or laser, ...you get the idea.

For a long time I wanted all the stopping power, all the expansion, high velocity, many rounds, laser and maybe even a red dot on my G29. Even in stock form it only took me a few month and I started leaving it at home.

The best opportunity for improvement in the self-defense department lays in you. Find a highly reliable firearm that works for you and is rather compact, keep it stock for the most part, if you make changes like mag extensions - test it MANY times. Buy or reload quality ammo that feeds and cycles perfectly with zero hiccups, and then regularly train on moving objects.

my 2 cents

I carry a G42 with my own, long tested reloads, with Xtreme Penetrator projectiles from Lehigh for barrier penetration at 1400 FPS (hot 9mm league). A bad guy hiding behind a car door for example will still face lethal penetration. Its a small package that I like carrying even in our hot summer months. I wear shorts and t-shirt every single day, a full size frame will print, leaves marks on my hip and eventually stays at home. Add a light and consequently larger holster and I won't even start carrying it.

Same applies for carrying 2 extra mags. I simply don't. I don't don't do mag dumps, that's a stupid habit resulting from bad or no ongoing training. Make every single round count. This perspective also makes you act responsibly for every round that leaves the barrel.

image.png.d79bc6cb55f87603e4f0a5e6efc23b17.png

Edited by crockett
  • Like 7

I do wholeheartedly agree with the concept of simplification.

In my case, over the years, I tried and tried to convince myself that the new latest wizbang double stack was the answer.  But I finally admitted a big problem with that:

My stubby fingers couldn’t dependable reach the trigger.  

About two months ago, I sold the CZ that was supposed to make me a lifelong devotee, and went straight to my local farm supply store and boaught a gun I swore would never work for me.  A Springfield XDs 3.3 in 9mm.

Now, something that complicates this a bit, is that mine came with a CT red dot sight, and I was skeptical.  But my 61 year old eyes are tired, and I struggle with tiny handgun sights.  This little red dot rocked my world.  Now I’m faster to the shot.   And more accurate.  And I double a lot faster.

So, I ordered a Vedder IWB, and we’ve all been happy ever after.

Everyone is different, and I never would have predicted this for myself.  So my moral to the story is to keep the search going, and when you find that magic combination, you’ll know it.

A910DEBD-4DF7-4500-80C7-C1EE482E4916.jpeg

• Like 4

I notice the 19 with the light and bigger holster is more bulk and that is some what annoying and may contribute to me not wanting to carry it. i got a new kore belt coming my current belt is leather and it is not supposed to sag but i  notice that if you hold it up vertical it has a bend in it. It is supposedly a non sag belt but i guess that was bs. Yes accounting for every round is a big deal to me. I think i will try the 19 minus the light and larger holster and go with the smaller holster. Here we dont have to worry about open carry nobody cares and it is legal although i usually have a coat or shirt over the gun but if it shows no biggy. hopefully that new belt gets here tomorrow and i can try it. Another thing that sucks is my job will not allow any cc. Thanks for the great input.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hook said:

I notice the 19 with the light and bigger holster is more bulk and that is some what annoying and may contribute to me not wanting to carry it. i got a new kore belt coming my current belt is leather and it is not supposed to sag but i  notice that if you hold it up vertical it has a bend in it. It is supposedly a non sag belt but i guess that was bs. Yes accounting for every round is a big deal to me. I think i will try the 19 minus the light and larger holster and go with the smaller holster. Here we dont have to worry about open carry nobody cares and it is legal although i usually have a coat or shirt over the gun but if it shows no biggy. hopefully that new belt gets here tomorrow and i can try it. Another thing that sucks is my job will not allow any cc. Thanks for the great input.

Unless carrying is not legal at your workplace I'd do what is best for you. I don't give a rats ass if COSTCO doesn't want me to carry in their locations. It's just another reason not to print. That being said, most wouldn't notice it if I'd carry my S&W .500 Magnum under a t-****. People are ignorant and blind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I carry a gen 3 27 with a +2 and night sights. I have a friend who would appendix carry a 19 with a light and 2 mags. That always seemed like way too much bulk to conceal to me. Although he had someone offer him a price for his whole setup that made him sell. He replaced it with a gen 5 26, and then a commander sized 1911 so I guess he gave up on carrying with a light.

I did like the light though and plan on getting one for my larger nightstand gun. But being a small framed individual, I won't entertain the idea of concealed carrying anything with a light attached. I already get funny looks when I say a wear a size large shirt. I just remark that I hide my fat well.

1 minute ago, M&P15T said:

Home should be something bigger. Shotgun or AR or something. 

I’ve had people (idiots) tell me that if I use an AR-15 for home defense they would just grab the barrel as you come around a corner.

”then they will burn their fingers” was my reply

• Like 1

My CCW is a DA revolver so it would look pretty retarded with a light attached.  If God forbid I have to draw on a bad guy, I want the threat stopped, not him laughing at my rig!  I considered getting some custom oversized laser grips made for my gun, but the price was just too high for a gun accessory.    

19 hours ago, crockett said:

Unless carrying is not legal at your workplace I'd do what is best for you. I don't give a rats ass if COSTCO doesn't want me to carry in their locations. It's just another reason not to print. That being said, most wouldn't notice it if I'd carry my S&W .500 Magnum under a t-****. People are ignorant and blind.

In Missouri, Walmart has a sign in small print saying Kindly Refrain from Openly Carrying a Firearm. Seen 5 people in there OCing. No one cares.

22 hours ago, Hook said:

Figured this is the busiest forum so I decided to put this here. Would you rather carry with a light attached or not? Why wouldn’t you? I’m trying to decide if I want to carry my gen5 19 with or without the light. I could put it on the G45 and use that  for the crib. Guy offered me 800 bucks for the never shot 19 with the light and holster but I ain’t decided yet. Just curious what you guys think about carrying with a light. Thanks. 

Personally...No.  Depends how much you gonna be out at night and in "seedy" places.:D  I'm nowhere I need a flashlight on  a gun.  Though I carry one in my pocket.

Me?  Not so much.  I carry a Glock 30S  .45.  10+1 and an extra mag.  I also Pocket carry...as I wear Cargo shorts most of the year.  Naw...I don't need a light on a gun.  I pick up my gun at night...in my house...I'm good...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, crockett said:

Yup.  I carry Everywhere.  I don't even read "signs"...don't care.  Stop me if ya see it.  Except anything "federal" of course.  Have been known to walk into a post office on occasion on an "Aw ****".  Like Crocket said...Don't Print. 

Nother reason I don't use a holster, and a benefit of livin in Floriduh.  "Carry" depends on where ya live most times.  I'm sure Walt just puts his **** in his cargo shorts...Course Not.  Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Yup.  I carry Everywhere.  I don't even read "signs"...don't care.  Stop me if ya see it.  Except anything "federal" of course.  Have been known to walk into a post office on occasion on an "Aw ****".  Like Crocket said...Don't Print. 

Nother reason I don't use a holster, and a benefit of livin in Floriduh.  "Carry" depends on where ya live most times.  I'm sure Walt just puts his **** in his cargo shorts...Course Not.  Different strokes for different folks.

Living in Alaska, a G String holster is a must for anyone needing a tan.

• Haha 1

my next carry gun is an Armory kote TRP Pro with a Surefire X300.

Holster makers are hard to find for that rig but.

i have trained and practiced in low light shooting and the Simplification aspect of having a free hand not having to hold a light, that i can accomplish tasks i need to accomplish if the situation arises makes the difference.

hopefully i never need the weapon or the light, but its better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

a weapon light is the simplification.

i have carried a long time and half of it has been in the dark.

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Personally...No.  Depends how much you gonna be out at night and in "seedy" places.:D  I'm nowhere I need a flashlight on  a gun.  Though I carry one in my pocket.

Me?  Not so much.  I carry a Glock 30S  .45.  10+1 and an extra mag.  I also Pocket carry...as I wear Cargo shorts most of the year.  Naw...I don't need a light on a gun.  I pick up my gun at night...in my house...I'm good...

Not much time spent in the seedy areas myself either. Hell in summer here its light 24/7. But winter its dark but hell if i am gonna pull out my gun and use the light for something. 

23 hours ago, crockett said:

Only places that have a sign stating no firearms permitted are my bank and my liquor store. Yet  i was in my liquor store and a guy was carrying and the clerk sold to him and i asked the clerked how come you sold to him when the sticker on your door plainly states no firearms her response was i dont care. My place of work just asks not to carry so i dont want to rock the boat and risk a good job so i abide. Its a good possibility i might have a gun locked in my ride. Like you said most ont even know if i am packing i notice just about everyone packing. 

4 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

I wear mine outside my pants. Kinda hard to hide a Redhawk anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of the internet will scream and yell at this, bit here is something I learned in a former life.

1) A WML need a non mounted light as well. You may want to look at something and not point a gun at it.

2) A WML is a target to someone who is not the average smash and grab.

3) A bright light will not deter a motivated attacker, in fact, you just gave away your position, so move and move fast before their vision is complete again.

4) Don't place yourself behind a light. Hold it to the side. See #2.

5) It is doubtful you live in a cave. Get up at night when your vision has adjusted and see what you can see. You will probably be surprised, and if needed, you can locate a spot to place a night light. Not bright, but enough you can see and stay in the shadows. You should know your house. An intruder won't, and will give themselves away because of it. Don't paint yourself with a light behind you, do that with them.

6) On the town, or EDC? Not for me. Lights are so small, light, and unobtrusive these days, why dedicate it to being on a carry piece.

7) IF you decide to mount a light, it must be proven just like any other mod. Shoot several hundred rounds and accept no malfunctions. You wouldn't think they would't make a difference in firing, but you might spend the rest of your life clearing the malfunction it caused.

In closing, if you seek a WML, then that is your choice, but get yourself a good lightweight light to have in your hand. You can do it, you should do it, and it might just be the advantage you need in the end. I prefer no light at all, but if I need one it isn't mounted.

YMMV

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

The muzzle flash from full house bear loads will blind them and the blast will deafen them. The concussion will knock them down even if you miss.

But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all of us don't carry an .88 Magnum. ?