Funerals are expensive, broken and exploitative. They have to change

TBO

Told my kids to have me cremated AFTER I'm dead.

I've never owned real estate so it doesn't seem right to have my dead carcass using a plot of land.

But dayam, those Nawlens funeral parades are tempting.

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 1

Great post, TBO! Having gone through the funeral process in December, I really want to set mine up to be easy and economical. I'm thinking of a cremation and spreading my ashes over the back forty. That "good death" stuff looks like a good start. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going with a paupers funeral.  Don't claim my body, let the trustees take me to the county cemetery and drop me in.

My mom's church allows the services at the church, saving the families several thousand dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great post, TBO! Having gone through the funeral process in December, I really want to set mine up to be easy and economical. I'm thinking of a cremation and spreading my ashes over the back forty. That "good death" stuff looks like a good start. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:
That's exactly what I want, but the wife will have the final say (as usual :tbo: ).

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TBO said:

That's exactly what I want, but the wife will have the final say (as usual :tbo: ).

Mine says she's gonna put me in two 55gal trashbags (delicately arranged head-to-toe and duct taped) and leave me in the WalMart parking lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think I've said this here before, but I won't care since I'll be dead, but I think it would be nice to be cremated, and have my family scatter my ashes in all my favorite backpacking places. (I'm sure this is illegal since they are National Parks, Monuments, and Forests, but I frankly don't care)... anyway, Glacier National Park, Dixie National Forest, Badlands, painted Desert, Black Canyon of the Gunnison,  Mt St Helens.  After a month of trekking around tossing my ashes in all the pretty places, they should be happy to get home and get on with their lives.

• Thanks 3

A group of us shot a fellow bikers ashes out of a cannon over Cook Inlet. We did this from a State Park where discharging a firearm is prohibited. It took 3 shots to get all the ashes fired out. There was no one around to give us a hard time since it happened in April and only the picnic area was open. No Rangers on duty yet.

• Thanks 3

when my mom died in 2017  funeral  her funeral was  1,800  dollars and  she wanted cremated ,  i waited  a year to bury her ashes because i heard some of my piece of **** niece and nephew and grand kids were pissed i did not allow them at service  . i even had plain clothes security  ,only i knew who they were .   i took  ashes from my grill and bagged them up and buried it and i waited.     i dug a very deep hole   put my moms ashes way down  covered with 2 feet of dirt and had the fake ashes on top .  nothing ever happened but i was ready for it . 

then they go posting on facebook  oh how i miss my grandma ,     i posted to all of them  out in the open yeah you loved her so much  you have not seen or come by to see her in 20 to 20 years  !!! and then was to steal money .    i still got a deadbeat nephew hiding in Canada .  he had taken loans out for school so he said and  stole over 200,000 dollars . fortunately everything was put in irrevokable  trust  and me executor .   ive had physical fights with some of them ,  and ive told them  you come around here you will wish you were dead 

i had to see my mom cry  ,she had such a good heart  ,  well i rambled that on alittle .     my dads in 95 cost 5000  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ASH said:

when my mom died in 2017  funeral  her funeral was  1,800  dollars and  she wanted cremated ,  i waited  a year to bury her ashes because i heard some of my piece of **** niece and nephew and grand kids were pissed i did not allow them at service  . i even had plain clothes security  ,only i knew who they were .   i took  ashes from my grill and bagged them up and buried it and i waited.     i dug a very deep hole   put my moms ashes way down  covered with 2 feet of dirt and had the fake ashes on top .  nothing ever happened but i was ready for it . 

then they go posting on facebook  oh how i miss my grandma ,     i posted to all of them  out in the open yeah you loved her so much  you have not seen or come by to see her in 20 to 20 years  !!! and then was to steal money .    i still got a deadbeat nephew hiding in Canada .  he had taken loans out for school so he said and  stole over 200,000 dollars . fortunately everything was put in irrevokable  trust  and me executor .   ive had physical fights with some of them ,  and ive told them  you come around here you will wish you were dead 

i had to see my mom cry  ,she had such a good heart  ,  well i rambled that on alittle .     my dads in 95 cost 5000  

People are weird. Sorry you had to deal with this. Pretty sure your mom knows you did right.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Paul53 said:

Told my kids to have me cremated AFTER I'm dead.

I've never owned real estate so it doesn't seem right to have my dead carcass using a plot of land.

But dayam, those Nawlens funeral parades are tempting.

And in Nawlens one might hope for periodic encores after hurricanes and flooding. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Mine is also. 

Bury me 4 feet down in a burlap sack. Plant an apple tree on top. Sadly not allowed. 

Actually I think “natural burials” which is what you describe are allowed some places. Maybe California. No embalming or other chemicals for preservation. Only natural fiber shroud (wrapping) - cotton, wool, linen, etc. no casket or other container. Usually no marker or monument, but maybe a cemetery map showing your plot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Live in a rural area an hour or so from any major city. Have seen billboards advertising a complete standard funeral for something under $3000 - $2695 I think. Been meaning to call and see exactly what us covered. 

Bought a double wide plot and stone when my wife died suddenly. I suppose if I donate my body to a medical school my DOD could be carved on the stone. 

Brother and his wife (now widow) signed the paperwork to donate their bodies. I’m good with that, but so far am getting passive resistance from the children. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1