Embrace your inner Rooftop Korean

gwalchmai

I remember this quite well, I was in the service at the time and had gone to visit my brother who lived in South Gate CA.  They had a carbine right by the door.  He worked for Southern CA. Gas Co. at the time and they completely stopped doing service calls in S. LA area.  The railroad line that separated Watts from S. Gate had boxcars all along that track for protection.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lazy R said:

The stoopid news people were calling the Rooftop Koreans "Vigilantes" while it was going on.

I remember that too.  We thought it was funny, because they didn't want offer their property or lives in the name of political correctness, which pissed of the Liberal Media.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Lazy R said:

The stoopid news people were calling the Rooftop Koreans "Vigilantes" while it was going on.

In total chaos, someone has to re-establish law and order again.  

“You might as well appeal against a thunderstorm as against these terrible hardships of war. War is cruelty, there is no use trying to reform it; the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.” William Tecumseh Sherman

• Like 3

Just now, janice6 said:

In total chaos, someone has to re-establish law and order again.  

“You might as well appeal against a thunderstorm as against these terrible hardships of war. War is cruelty, there is no use trying to reform it; the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.” William Tecumseh Sherman

The PD was overwhelmed.  You can't call 911, you have to handle your business.  Let the chips fall where they may.  Good on the Koreans, I still feel that way to this day.  I know in moderately good conditions how hard and what time it takes to run code, when you are responding to back up.  To my knowledge none of the Koreans were charged, and I good with that. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As said, the PD was overwhelmed, and National Guard was maintaining check points and patrolling the streets. As I stated earlier I was in the Army and our Battalion was put on notice to fly into LA if it got worse.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I was going to school in Chicago when MLK was killed. I worked at a machine shop on Roosevelt Road owned by a friend of my father.  I was on the company trap team and reloaded shells during work. On the weekends we set up a bullet trap in the elevator shaft and shot pistols.

When the riots happened, some of his employees and friends ( including me as a teenager ) stayed on the roof of the two story building with rifles and shotguns.

Here is the building today; still standing and undamaged..

hadley.PNG.66cbbba200d330bbedbe40ba2d2ba85f.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good on them. The Rooftop Koreans were more AMERICAN during that riot than the news media, local politicians, and looters.

Thwarting that kind of unrest, along with self defense and resistance to political atrocities, is what the Second Amendment is all about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

The Koreans had worked hard for what they had and were not about to let a bunch of animals take it from them.

That was exactly how my friend in Chicago felt.

We could see smoke from the fires on Roosevelt Road where the plant was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Chicago_riots

On April 5, 1968, in Chicago, violence sparked on the West side of the city, and gradually expanded to consume a 28-block stretch of West Madison Street, with additional damage occurring on Roosevelt Road.[4] The Austin and Lawndale neighborhoods on the West Side, and the Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side experienced the majority of the destruction and chaos.[

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Moshe said:

I remember that too.  We thought it was funny, because they didn't want offer their property or lives in the name of political correctness, which pissed of the Liberal Media.

The thing is, protecting your own property is not the definition of vigilantism. Vigilantism is going out and seeking people to exercise justice; finding a bad guy and hanging him. The media people are either stupid or biased or (most assuredly) both.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Lazy R said:

The thing is, protecting your own property is not the definition of vigilantism. Vigilantism is going out and seeking people to exercise justice; finding a bad guy and hanging him. The media people are either stupid or biased or (most assuredly) both.

Hanging them?  Too much forensic footprint left.  You would have a short illustrious hobby.

i remember seeing Reginald Denny being beaten by a mob and knowing there wouldn't be anyone to help him but other citizens.

i also recall how the media tore into the store owners and people protecting themselves and property and thinking how insane the media must be,they haven't gotten any wiser.

i did then and i still carry at work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1