Notre Dame is burning down

This is just horrible.

I have been there many times and the sheer grandeur and scale of the building never stops being astounding.

It took medieval craftsman 200 years to build the place.

We should care.

Notre Dame is history that survives, the history of not just Europe, but of America as well.

That is where many of us came from.

Meilleurs voeux à Paris.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

For some time now we've been saying that Western Civilization is under attack. This may be an example. The fact that YooRope brought their demise upon themselves does not make me feel any better about it. Once the West is gone the Earth will be a very dark place for a very long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It will make no difference how this fire started.  Right now the world is seeing one religion waging war against the rest of the worlds religions, and this latest event will add to the animosity, no matter what the cause.   

• Like 5

This is...pretty much home to me.  My heart is hanging low right now. 

So many years of history.  Such a wonderful place.  They held Mass every day and special high masses.   Wedding still took place in this special place.

They can never rebuild it to be the same.

It is the birth place of modern western music.  polyphonic sound.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, tous said:

This is just horrible.

I have been there many times and the sheer grandeur and scale of the building never stops being astounding.

It took medieval craftsman 200 years to build the place.

We should care.

Notre Dame is history that survives, the history of not just Europe, but of America as well.

That is where many of us came from.

Meilleurs voeux à Paris.

That building is over 800 years old.  Think about all that it has seen.  

This is a tragedy.

48 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

I think it is just the way I look at the world today....but I’ll bet someone set it on fire. 

There were a lot of renovations being done.  They think that is where this started.  Obviously nobody knows for sure yet.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm not a Christian, but even so I recognize this occurred during the most significant time of year for Christianity, and that can't be coincidental.  The indifference among people here who should know better in some ways makes me even sadder than the atrocity itself.  Our educational failure has reached the point that we value our own civilization so little we don't care at all when a savage destroys something of such huge historical and symbolic significance and value.  Its a tremendous blow to Western Civilization, symbolically the worst since 9/11/01 although thankfully not accompanied by loss of lives.  If we shrug and accept it, we're lost. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

I’m wondering if followers of a certain pedophile false prophet might be involved.

Catholicism (And any symbol of Christianity) has a lot of enemies. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, tous said:

I separate the buildings from the dogma.

I don'r care why the build them, I just marvel at what they built.

Yeah, but buildings that symbolize things are targets, over and over again. 

• Like 3