Old Pictures

Eric

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, pipedreams said:

During WWII many older railroad employees returned from retirement to replace the young men who had gone into the military.  On the  wartime “RIP” tracks (“Repair In Place”), this Illinois Central retiree jacked up a gondola to swap out a truck during November, 1942. He did it all by himself.  Forgotten men like this made America great.  (Photo by Jack Delano)

bq-5c109ea1890dd.jpeg

That's  one Hell of a jack!

• Like 3

When my father bought our house it was then a 100 year old mansion.  The house came with some tools.  One of the tools was a 100 Ton house jack.

A friend at work was doing major repairs on his barn and I gave him the jack to help him raise the barn to repair the foundation.  It was a screw jack.  Just because they were old doesn't mean they weren't impressive.

It was very similar to this picture I found on ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, Al Czervik said:

Can you tell us what is going on in each of these photos?

Bottom photo is an Iron Lung for polio victims. Several children could be put in the unit. The Iron Lung was used to oxygenate body tissue.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 5:21 PM, pipedreams said:

During WWII many older railroad employees returned from retirement to replace the young men who had gone into the military.  On the  wartime “RIP” tracks (“Repair In Place”), this Illinois Central retiree jacked up a gondola to swap out a truck during November, 1942. He did it all by himself.  Forgotten men like this made America great.  (Photo by Jack Delano)

bq-5c109ea1890dd.jpeg

Wow, I haven't seen one of those in years.  We had a couple around the ranch for working on tractors.

• Like 3