Old Pictures

Eric

During WWII many older railroad employees returned from retirement to replace the young men who had gone into the military.  On the  wartime “RIP” tracks (“Repair In Place”), this Illinois Central retiree jacked up a gondola to swap out a truck during November, 1942. He did it all by himself.  Forgotten men like this made America great.  (Photo by Jack Delano)

bq-5c109ea1890dd.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, Eric said:

D284416F-6222-4243-8D84-34E5A0386522.jpeg

I heard that at first the dogs were an added burden, then the handlers found that they could get some sleep with the dogs around them.  Suddenly the dogs acquired many believers and their popularity grew.  Man and Dog were a special team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

During WWII many older railroad employees returned from retirement to replace the young men who had gone into the military.  On the  wartime “RIP” tracks (“Repair In Place”), this Illinois Central retiree jacked up a gondola to swap out a truck during November, 1942. He did it all by himself.  Forgotten men like this made America great.  (Photo by Jack Delano)

bq-5c109ea1890dd.jpeg

Work wasn't a "four letter word" when men did it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Maybe wishing for more than I'd bargain for but I would like to be able to experience that era for just a day. I'd like to see the world before we made it colorized.

Don’t despair.....I predict that in only a few years the Democrats will bring these days back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

On 12/12/2018 at 3:21 PM, pipedreams said:

bq-5c109ea1890dd.jpeg

Wow! I'm speechless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brad said:

I gave my artist daughter and my engineer son, each one of those fancy top of the line drafting tables with the X/Y drafting machine included when my company went to computerized design.  The company gave them away.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I gave my artist daughter and my engineer son, each one of those fancy top of the line drafting tables with the X/Y drafting machine included when my company went to computerized design.  The company gave them away.

I bet they did.

By the time I graduated in the mid-90s, all of the drafting was done on AutoCAD and Microstation. Engineering lagged a little, and I didn't have a computer for the first two years I designed, so I had a table fairly similar to the ones shown in the picture. I had three of them arranged into a U-shape. Bookshelves below and above the table. It was more efficient than any space I've had since.

I put in my notice at the university today and am planning to grow my consulting business into an engineering firm. Now that I can do whatever I want, I'm planning to set up something like that U-shaped cockpit, except with room for a computer, obviously.

As an aside, I am pretty sure more work got done when most employees didn't have a computer or a telephone. I remember when everybody got phones with direct lines. After that, wives didn't have to go through the receptionist to call their husbands, and it was like a flood-gate opened. With FB, etc., it obviously got much worse. Now people waste multiple hours each day. I wish I could pull off not allowing FB, cell phones, etc. when I start hiring people, but that's probably fantasy.

Edited by Brad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brad said:

I bet they did.

By the time I started graduated in the mid-90s, all of the drafting was done on AutoCAD and Microstation. I didn't have a computer for the first two years I designed, so I had a table fairly similar to the ones shown in the picture. I had three of them arrange into a U-shape. Bookshelves below and above the table. It was more efficient than any space I've had since.

I put in my notice at the university today and am planning to grow my consulting business into an engineering firm. Now that I can do whatever I want, I'm planning to set up something like that U-shaped cockpit, except with room for a computer, obviously.

As an aside, I am pretty sure more work got done when most employees didn't have a computer or a telephone. I remember when everybody got phones. After that, wives didn't have to go through the receptionist to call their husbands, and it was like a flood-gate opened. With FB, etc., it obviously got much worse. Now people waste multiple hours each day. I wish I could pull off not allowing FB, cell phones, etc. wen I start hiring people, but that's probably fantasy.

The plant I worked in for our corporation, had 5,000 employees in it.  They were Military Production Engineering, Physics Research and support contracts groups.  One day I walked through the production engineering department to handle some paperwork, it had roughly 300 engineers in it.  Damn near every office I passed by, the occupant was playing Microsoft games on the computer.  This was not during lunch time either.

I am not a fanatic nor a workaholic, but I do believe that if I'm being paid for my time it should be spent on what the company wants me to do.  No one seemed to care.   

• Like 5